Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
101 - 120 of 148 Posts
Does the server not have some ability to limit lines or number of characters in a signature? Seems like that would be a lot better then scolding all the newcomers
^^ This!!

Or have the server send an alert when someone posts with a long signature. Much better than public shaming.

Discussion starter · #103 ·
Much better than public shaming.
Apologies. We don't really intend to shame anybody. This thread was meant to be a little light-hearted bit of social pressure.

Please don't feel like you've done anything wrong. The moderators are not the least bit upset with you. We all know that this car gets us excited, and we wish to share all of our details with everybody. :)

@twm01, would you mind editing your signature? Thanks!

I’ve dutifully shortened mine but I’m puzzled. Signatures are bottom-justified in the main column (this column). The text of a post is top-justified. The height is set by the left panel (avatar, name, user info) unless the post is long. Is there a different viewing mode where the avatar panel does not set the height? Well, yes - on my phone held vertically, but the signature does not appear in this orientation (a frequent source of confusion).

Not a big deal, but I am puzzled.

as a reminder, we ask that people limit their signatures to a couple lines. Some are starting to grow again (to be longer than many posts) and could use a little trimming down.

@Alighieri256, how 'bout it?
This ok?

Reactions: MelindaV and GDN
Changed user name and signature! Is everyone happy now?

Reactions: GDN
Discussion starter · #110 ·
I've dutifully shortened mine but I'm puzzled. Signatures are bottom-justified in the main column (this column). The text of a post is top-justified. The height is set by the left panel (avatar, name, user info) unless the post is long. Is there a different viewing mode where the avatar panel does not set the height?
Yes. When the signature + post covers more vertical space than the left panel.

Yes. When the signature + post covers more vertical space than the left panel.
You're forcing me to belabor my point! My question was if there was a viewing mode for which the left panel does not dictate the height of a short post. I gather the answer is "no". Most posts are short, and if long, who cares if a 3-line signature increases it's length by one line? The objection of the moderators is not accurately stated - what is it? Esthetic? I personally think "reserved in-store 2016-03-13, ordered 2018-05-20, delivered 2018-09-08" is no longer interesing, but if you think it's useful to other readers, fine. I think the moderators can lighten up about signatures. Being fussy about things reduces participation. Calling out "Hey @innocentOwner, how about it" is snippy.

I appreciate the excellent work of the moderators, otherwise. Mostly - it was wrong to send my post about how cats ride in electric cars to the penalty box. You don't like cats? This thread should be sent to the box.

who cares if a 3-line signature increases it's length by one line?
because there are some signatures upwards of 15+ lines long (longer that the body of your message above). you get into a thread where someone has multiple replies within a few posts of a thread and it becomes a drag to always have that much more dead space to scroll past.
It is too bad the site is not able to display the signatures of each person once per page with subsequent posts not having the signature visible.

The signatures are nice to have to tell others a little about your car, it's story, history, etc. But do we need to know someone's other 6 cars, the 27 detailed steps involved in their car's reservation thru delivery process, or every service appointment it has had? Point being, consider what you like to get from someone else's signature and what you don't care about and very likely what you care to know fits within a pretty short amount of space.

Anyone who wants to keep more extensive information available can add that into a profile post, and mention that in their signature instead.

(and don't know of your cat story, but going off now to find it ;) )

some excessively long signatures have started to pop up again, maybe people that haven't been on the forum in some time and recently returning.

as a reminder, signatures are to be limited to a couple lines, and a single link. If you would prefer not to have your signature automatically removed, please edit accordingly.

Might I suggest these edits to make your signatures fit within the '3 lines or less' requirements:

Drhalo said:
Model 3 AWD
MSM, PUP, EAP, 18" Aero
Reserved 4/6/16
Configured 6/27/18
Got Call:8/29/18
Delivery:9/22/18
VIN 772xx
Model 3 AWD, MSM, PUP, EAP, 18" Aero, VIN 772xx
Reserved 4/6/16 - Configured 6/27/18 - Got Call:8/29/18 - Delivery:9/22/18
Gatornail said:
Reserved online 3/31/16
Configured 4/6/18
VIN #197XX assigned on 4/30/18
1st contact by ISA by email and phone on 5/3/18
Delivery date 5/22/18
First production, White with aero wheels
Reserved online 3/31/16 - Configured 4/6/18 - VIN #197XX assigned on 4/30/18 - 1st contact by ISA by email and phone on 5/3/18
Delivery date 5/22/18 - First production, White with aero wheels​

azentropy said:
Reserved - 3/31/2016 Online (As soon as it was available)
Invited - 4/18/2018
Configured - 4/18/2018
VIN - 5/3/2018 142XX
Delivery Call - 05/08/2018
Delivery Date - 05/11/2018
Color/Options - Silver Metallic/Aero/LR/PUP
Reserved - 3/31/2016 Online (As soon as it was available) - Invited - 4/18/2018 - Configured - 4/18/2018 - VIN - 5/3/2018 142XX
Delivery Call - 05/08/2018 - Delivery Date - 05/11/2018
Color/Options - Silver Metallic/Aero/LR/PUP​

Silvermagic3 said:
Reservation = 3/31/16 8:30pm Online
Invite = 4/18/18 ~12:30pm
ORDERED!!! = 6/26/18 6:30pm
Config = Red, Long Range, Premium Interior, 18" Aero Wheels, and Duel Motor Baby!
Added Autopilot = 9/17/18
Delivery = 9/26/18
Reservation = 3/31/16 8:30pm Online - Invite = 4/18/18 ~12:30pm - ORDERED!!! = 6/26/18 6:30pm - Delivery = 9/26/18
Config = Red, Long Range, Premium Interior, 18" Aero Wheels, and Duel Motor Baby! - Added Autopilot = 9/17/18​

gabzqc said:
:greatbritain: Briton living in Finland
Model 3 LR AWD +Autopilot, Black, 18" Aeros, PUP
Reserved 2.4.2016
Ordered 20.3.2019
DELIVERY 17.4.2019
Waited 1107 Days (over 3 years)
Gabzqc
:greatbritain: Briton living in Finland
Model 3 LR AWD +Autopilot, Black, 18" Aeros, PUP
Reserved 2.4.2016 - Ordered 20.3.2019 - DELIVERY 17.4.2019 - Waited 1107 Days (over 3 years) Gabzqc​

101 - 120 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.