Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not as a phone, but as a Tesla Model 3 Fob?

My Samsung Galaxy S6 works most of the time, but it takes upwards of 30 seconds to connect with the car so I can open the doors. I almost always have to take the phone out of my pocket, turn it on, and bring the Tesla app to the front.

I'd even consider switching to an iPhone if they worked the way I expected.

· Registered
37 Posts

10,954 Posts
Apple phones are definitely seeing higher success rates than Android right now.

In 100 days with my car and a few hundred locks and unlocks I would say the number of failures is 5 or less giving me a 99% success rate!

· Registered
93 Posts
The setting mxbzz mentioned should solve your issues... The battery optimization of later Android versions is a bit too agressive and interferes with the necessary backgriund app functions...

Reactions: Doug Joubert

· Registered
1 Posts
My iPhone 7 works about 10% of the time. The other 90% I have to pull the phone out open the Tesla app and usually manually unlock the car. It’s absolutely terrible. In fact, when it works I’m surprised. It’s the one thing I’m actually embarrassed about when showing the car to people.

· Registered
70 Posts
I had some issues the first 2 weeks but ever since then it's been near perfect. Worse case has been I just had to hit the home button on my phone to turn the screen on and it opens, don't even have to unlock it. Even that is pretty rare though. It's a galaxy s7 edge.

· Super Moderator
10,256 Posts
My iPhone 7 works about 10% of the time. The other 90% I have to pull the phone out open the Tesla app and usually manually unlock the car. It's absolutely terrible. In fact, when it works I'm surprised. It's the one thing I'm actually embarrassed about when showing the car to people.
What iOS are you on? Most with iPhone are having pretty good luck, so seems something is certainly off with your phone, Bluetooth or car

· Registered
159 Posts
My iPhone 7 works about 10% of the time. The other 90% I have to pull the phone out open the Tesla app and usually manually unlock the car. It's absolutely terrible. In fact, when it works I'm surprised. It's the one thing I'm actually embarrassed about when showing the car to people.
One thing that I have noticed is that iPhones do not work very well at all if you use them in "low power mode" (settings -> battery -> low power mode). Is it possible that could be your issue?

· Registered
1,323 Posts
I just posted this in the thread about Android but thought I'd post it here as well.....

I have a Samsung S8+ and it works great. The only regular flaw I've noticed is that once each morning I need to turn on airplane mode then turn it off again. Once I do that it phone works the rest of the day without issue. I did adjust one setting that I read about before I got the car, I think it was to allow the app to work in the background.

· Registered
145 Posts
One thing that I have noticed is that iPhones do not work very well at all if you use them in "low power mode" (settings -> battery -> low power mode). Is it possible that could be your issue?
@Matt Marshall If you're still having problems after that, it would be worth logging out of the app and/or removing the connection to your phone from the car, then re-connecting it. Mine stopped working after an update a while back, re-connected it and it's been fine since.

Reactions: Charlie W

· Registered
3 Posts
Apple phones are definitely seeing higher success rates than Android right now.

In 100 days with my car and a few hundred locks and unlocks I would say the number of failures is 5 or less giving me a 99% success rate!
That's rediculously too high. A keyfob has 100% success unless the battery is dead. Most cars will tell you when battery is low, so as long as one replaces the battery, the success is 100%. We need a physical keyfob.

· Registered
3 Posts
Not as a phone, but as a Tesla Model 3 Fob?

My Samsung Galaxy S6 works most of the time, but it takes upwards of 30 seconds to connect with the car so I can open the doors. I almost always have to take the phone out of my pocket, turn it on, and bring the Tesla app to the front.

I'd even consider switching to an iPhone if they worked the way I expected.
Don't get an LG G5 or LG V30.

Samsung S8+ works well with the Model 3, although out of preference, I'm not sure if keeping the S8+.

I would liked an alternative to Samsung or Apple.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.