Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
760 Posts
By chance would the option to leave the headlights on have any impact at all on this? I've seen that option within the menus but have it selected to off. I know it sounds silly as it clearly states "headlights" but maybe it also keeps the taillights on for 30 seconds?
I have that on. Thought it would help too, but no.

Reactions: Love

· Registered
760 Posts
If it's "dangerous in my situation because I'm on a somewhat blind curve on a very dark road" then just use Hazard Warning Flashers. Just press a button above you before exiting the car and press one more time when you're back.
That's another option, but also something I never had to think about in any other car. This becomes an issue when DST ends.

· Registered
1 Posts
I found this very interesting (not a tesla owner) but today i was in bumper to bumper traffic behind a tesla and i can see the car in front of the tesla braking and not seeing the tesla’s brake lights come on until a complete stop. It was throwing me off when we would speed up and then all of sudden slow down with no brake lights. After awhile i could see the tesla decelerating but no brake lights (again bumper to bumper traffic no more than 5 mph-10mph) pulled up next to him to let him know and he looked confused. Had to google this. But if this the norm i could see how its likely for them to get rear ended.

· Super Moderator
17,748 Posts
I found this very interesting (not a tesla owner) but today i was in bumper to bumper traffic behind a tesla and i can see the car in front of the tesla braking and not seeing the tesla’s brake lights come on until a complete stop.
The brake lights come on when the rate of deceleration is high enough. If they weren't coming on, then the car was slowing down at a pretty low rate.

I know that manual transmission cars aren't very popular anymore, but you would have had the same issue following one as they could use engine braking to slow down before resorting to the brake pedal.

· Registered
10 Posts
a driver cussed me out for "brake checking" - not a big deal, but it helped me realize that the brake lights automatically turn on when I take my foot off the accelerator. I get it. the brake regen slows down the car, so for safety in alerting the driver behind me, the brakes turn on. I'll keep it like this for safety reasons, so no one hits me from behind, but I want to know - is there a way (or setting) to turn this off? so that the brake lights come on only when I hit the brakes, not when the regen is slowing the car

· Registered
4,302 Posts
a driver cussed me out for "brake checking" - not a big deal, but it helped me realize that the brake lights automatically turn on when I take my foot off the accelerator. I get it. the brake regen slows down the car, so for safety in alerting the driver behind me, the brakes turn on. I'll keep it like this for safety reasons, so no one hits me from behind, but I want to know - is there a way (or setting) to turn this off? so that the brake lights come on only when I hit the brakes, not when the regen is slowing the car
Not really, just get used to letting off the accelerator more slowly so there isn't strong enough deceleration to put the brake lights on. You can also change the regen so it's lighter as well, but I would suggest only doing that until you get used to it, as it wears out the brake pads faster.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts