Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the above message in the app since the weather has gotten colder? I’m not sure if there an actual problem with the charge latch, or if this is the anticipated behaviour the car dies in colder weather to prevent the charging cable from getting stuck.
The app makes it seem like the latch is broken or needs to be defrosted. Charging still appears normal when it’s going.
Any insights would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
From the manual:

CHG_u006
Charge port latch not engaged

Fully insert charge cable or check for obstruction
The charge port latch is unable to latch the charge cable in the charge port inlet. If the latch is not engaged, AC charging (for example, charging with a Mobile Connector or Wall Connector) will be limited to 16A and DC Fast Charging / Supercharging will be unavailable.

Try re-inserting the charge cable fully into the charge port inlet.

If your vehicle begins charging and the charge port light pulses green, the charge cable may not have been fully inserted before. The latch may not have engaged during previous attempts because the cable was not fully inserted. AC charging should no longer be limited, and DC Fast Charging / Supercharging should be available.

If charging is still limited or the vehicle will not charge at all, inspect the charge port inlet and the charge cable connector for any obstructions (use a flashlight as needed). Debris and/or foreign objects in the charge port inlet or the charge cable connector can prevent you from fully inserting the charge cable. If the cable is not fully inserted, the charge port latch will not engage.

It is recommended that any debris / foreign objects be removed. Afterward, try re-inserting the cable into the charge port inlet. AC charging should no longer be limited, and DC Fast Charging / Supercharging should be available.

As this alert is usually specific to external charging equipment and power sources, and it does not typically indicate an issue with your vehicle that can be resolved by scheduling service, it is recommended that you:

Make sure the charge cable is fully inserted during charging.
Make sure any charge port inlet obstruction has been removed.
You can also try charging your vehicle using a Tesla Supercharger or Destination Charging location, all of which can be located through the map on your vehicle's touchscreen display. See Maps and Navigation for more details. Additional third-party charging stations may also be available in your area to help you to pinpoint the issue.

For more information on troubleshooting Mobile Connector or Wall Connector status lights, refer to the product's Owner's Manual at Charging & Adapter Product Guides. If using other external charging equipment, refer to the manufacturer's provided documentation for troubleshooting tips.

For more information on charging, see Charging Instructions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the manual:

CHG_u006
Charge port latch not engaged

Fully insert charge cable or check for obstruction
The charge port latch is unable to latch the charge cable in the charge port inlet. If the latch is not engaged, AC charging (for example, charging with a Mobile Connector or Wall Connector) will be limited to 16A and DC Fast Charging / Supercharging will be unavailable.

Try re-inserting the charge cable fully into the charge port inlet.

If your vehicle begins charging and the charge port light pulses green, the charge cable may not have been fully inserted before. The latch may not have engaged during previous attempts because the cable was not fully inserted. AC charging should no longer be limited, and DC Fast Charging / Supercharging should be available.

If charging is still limited or the vehicle will not charge at all, inspect the charge port inlet and the charge cable connector for any obstructions (use a flashlight as needed). Debris and/or foreign objects in the charge port inlet or the charge cable connector can prevent you from fully inserting the charge cable. If the cable is not fully inserted, the charge port latch will not engage.

It is recommended that any debris / foreign objects be removed. Afterward, try re-inserting the cable into the charge port inlet. AC charging should no longer be limited, and DC Fast Charging / Supercharging should be available.

As this alert is usually specific to external charging equipment and power sources, and it does not typically indicate an issue with your vehicle that can be resolved by scheduling service, it is recommended that you:

Make sure the charge cable is fully inserted during charging.
Make sure any charge port inlet obstruction has been removed.
You can also try charging your vehicle using a Tesla Supercharger or Destination Charging location, all of which can be located through the map on your vehicle's touchscreen display. See Maps and Navigation for more details. Additional third-party charging stations may also be available in your area to help you to pinpoint the issue.

For more information on troubleshooting Mobile Connector or Wall Connector status lights, refer to the product's Owner's Manual at Charging & Adapter Product Guides. If using other external charging equipment, refer to the manufacturer's provided documentation for troubleshooting tips.

For more information on charging, see Charging Instructions.

Thank you for this. It is charging and latching when it starts the process. I have tried firmly inserting the charge cable and defrosting the care for about 15 minutes. This message came as the weather got colder and after app and car updates so it’s hard to know if there’s something wrong or if this is a bug.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone seen the above message in the app since the weather has gotten colder? I’m not sure if there an actual problem with the charge latch, or if this is the anticipated behaviour the car dies in colder weather to prevent the charging cable from getting stuck.
The app makes it seem like the latch is broken or needs to be defrosted. Charging still appears normal when it’s going.
I've been seeing this exact behaviour as well since the cold weather set in. I'm in TO (2018 M3 LR).

The car still charges fine - but it doesn't seem like the car is locking the cable. Once it starts charging, the cable does lock as expected. I'm also not consistently getting the car to open the charge port (have to manually open) so I do suspect a service trip is coming. Unfortunately I'm out of warranty now, so not looking forward to the cost of repair.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Try pulling the emergency release cable inside the trunk just behind the charge port (it's a steel cable with an orange tag on it). Don't pull it too hard, but firmly, to make sure the latch is fully unlocked.

After that, insert the charge cable and let it attempt to latch. That should make sure the full range of latch movement is available.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the exact same model, so I’m inclined to believe that this is something expected. I remember they change the behaviour of the charge port in colder weather to not latch or to check the latch multiple times to make sure that there were no obstructions like ice or snow. But the message in the app makes it seem like there’s something wrong which may be misleading.

I’m heading to the service centre tomorrow to get something looked at and I’ve already brought this issue with them. I am worried though that they will say that this needs to be repaired or replace when I feel like this is just bad messaging or a bug. I had the super bottle replaced in my car because of a climate issue last month and I’m convinced it started right after a software update. I’m still having the issue and I’m concerned I replace a part needlessly because I’m a software bug. I also feel like I’m very fast to jump on new issues that come up that often tend to be a software related, and I end up paying the price and service cost as I am also out of warranty.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try pulling the emergency release cable inside the trunk just behind the charge port (it's a steel cable with an orange tag on it). Don't pull it too hard, but firmly, to make sure the latch is fully unlocked.

After that, insert the charge cable and let it attempt to latch. That should make sure the full range of latch movement is available.
I’ll give it a try shortly and let you know if it changes anything.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Heard and felt nothing. Didn't want to pull too hard. Same behaviour. When climate or charging it goes blue or green and latches and the message goes away.

I feel like nothing is wrong but the App message is throwing me off. If this is a cold weather behaviour, the message should be adjusted to say that.

·
re member
849 Posts
I would not recommend pulling the cable since that is for unlatching what this message is saying isn’t latched.

That aside, I started getting the message a few days ago and opened a service ticket with attached screenshots of how it charged just fine and was an intermittent issue. My supposition was that the error message is due to code in a recent app update (likely that vs car and from sometime during warm weather in the northern h) which broke the previous temperature to latch message correlation based on the car’s cold weather latch behavior.

I set the appointment for early next month in hopes they’ll fix the glitch without needing to see the car. Since we have no other way to truly report bugs in the firmware or app software (save for doing an app review they’ll never see), I can only think a bunch of us opening service tickets might get this fixed before the spring. In the meantime, if your dead fronts are present and charging behaves normally, you can otherwise ignore the error message.

Personally, I don’t like the cold weather latch behavior since some nefarious types will unplug another person’s car. I really wish it would simply warn us the temp may cause freezing of latch so defrosting may be necessary.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I feel like nothing is wrong but the App message is throwing me off. If this is a cold weather behaviour, the message should be adjusted to say that.
If you're only getting the message in the app and not the car, it could just be the app losing communication and not getting the message from the car that the charging cord is locked.

And if you already tugged the emergency release and found it to be fully released already (that's what it means when you don't feel it move), and the handle feels locked in when you begin charging, then it's unlikely anything is physically wrong with the locking mechanism. Anything else would either be software, or a remote possibility, the latch sensor or charge port ECU has a fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes! I am seeing it too!
I have a model 3 (2018 M3 LR) as well...

it just started 2 days ago. I wonder if this is an update bug. I tried with 2 different ac home chargers. both have the same behavior. error in app! but when I click start charging it latches and charges normally.

maybe we need to file a bug report with tesla? what version of software does everyone have and which phone app?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I had this happen to me last might for the first time, receiving the same error message. Seems to be working just fine today but will keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
I had the same message earlier, just had a mobile visit to replace the charge port (which had a piece of plastic broken off) and haven't seen the error return since the visit. Mine's a 2017...

·
Super Moderator
17,292 Posts
Check your port as well as your most commonly-used charging plugs for a broken pin deadfront. This is a common reason for why a plug might seem to fit ok, but not seat completely.
This NHTSA bulletin from Tesla contains more information, including some pictures of what it looks like.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I have a 2018 Model 3 as well, but I've had no errors on the display screen or in the app. If this is becoming a common issue for 2018's, it's possible that it's not so much due to the year as with the charge port ECU revision - my charge port was replaced when the car was new.

Or perhaps I haven't seen an error yet, and the division line is whatever ECU version has CCS enabled (mine does not).

·
re member
849 Posts
I have a 2018 Model 3 as well, but I've had no errors on the display screen or in the app. If this is becoming a common issue for 2018's, it's possible that it's not so much due to the year as with the charge port ECU revision - my charge port was replaced when the car was new.

Or perhaps I haven't seen an error yet, and the division line is whatever ECU version has CCS enabled (mine does not).
Your profile says you’re in Orlando FL. If that’s the case and it is associated with the cold weather latch protocols, I doubt you’ll see this issue until, maybe, January or February if at all.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Your profile says you’re in Orlando FL. If that’s the case and it is associated with the cold weather latch protocols, I doubt you’ll see this issue until, maybe, January or February if at all.
It was down to the 50's over this weekend. I don't know if that's cold enough though.

Even so, it seems like the division line might be pre-CCS charge ports.

·
re member
849 Posts
It was down to the 50's over this weekend. I don't know if that's cold enough though.

Even so, it seems like the division line might be pre-CCS charge ports.
Didn’t happen for me until exterior temp was in the 40s and, even then, didn’t happen after charging but, instead, when plugging in after a drive.

I will say that, with a 2018 RWD LR, I’m most definitely pre-CCS but I did recently have my charge port replaced due to the door actuator failing.

·
Registered
3 Posts

1 - 20 of 33 Posts