Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone seen the above message in the app since the weather has gotten colder? I’m not sure if there an actual problem with the charge latch, or if this is the anticipated behaviour the car dies in colder weather to prevent the charging cable from getting stuck.
The app makes it seem like the latch is broken or needs to be defrosted. Charging still appears normal when it’s going.
Any insights would be great.
yes! I am seeing it too!
I have a model 3 (2018 M3 LR) as well...

it just started 2 days ago. I wonder if this is an update bug. I tried with 2 different ac home chargers. both have the same behavior. error in app! but when I click start charging it latches and charges normally.

maybe we need to file a bug report with tesla? what version of software does everyone have and which phone app?

· Registered
5 Posts
I got an estimate for 500 usd dollars to replace the charge port. tech has not been out yet. it really seems like a software bug. I just plugged in. no latch. I get the error in phone. I open the door which triggers the cabin heat. wait a few secs and click and it turns dark blue. error goes away. same with charging. plug in and get error. click start charging and click latch sound and it locks in place. error goes away.

· Registered
5 Posts
my model 3 seems to have resolved the issue itself. what I did. I disabled scheduled charging. this meant the car latched and started charging right away after plugging in. then I turned scheduled charging back on and it is fixed. no more error message. now when I plug in it latches and turns dark blue a few secs after plug in.

· Registered
5 Posts
I am ignoring the issue for now. I am out of warrenty and got a $500 usd quote to fix. Other than an error message in app and failure to first latch when I plug in everything seems work normally. my charging rate is not reduced and when I start the charge the error disappears. even when I heat the car the message goes away and the latch activates. the problem for me is really only when I use scheduled charging and the temps are cold.

I have a feeling it is a software bug on older charging hardware that they did not fully test with for cold weather.

It certainly seems like a software issue to me.
There's nothing wrong with my car's charging system/hardware and continues to charge properly even when the app reports that the latch isn't working (and it truly wasn't). As previously noted, when the temperature is above 5 or 6 degrees C the latch works and the error message doesn't appear.
I get the same behavior!nu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts