Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Yes. Starting a few weeks ago, with the portable charger only, Model 3 dual motor 2018 will intermittently disconnect. Plug does not appear damaged. Not at all sure what "cleaning debris" would look like in that space. I have found that walking away - leaving it unplugged overnight - will clear the problem. No idea what the problem might be, but it does appear to be temperature related.

· Registered
8 Posts
Didn’t happen for me until exterior temp was in the 40s and, even then, didn’t happen after charging but, instead, when plugging in after a drive.

I will say that, with a 2018 RWD LR, I’m most definitely pre-CCS but I did recently have my charge port replaced due to the door actuator failing.
i suspect my actuator has also failed/is failing. Thanks for the tip. Wish it had failed a few months ago. My car is almost a Theseus Ship at this point. Lots of parts were replaced prior to warranty expiration.

· Registered
5 Posts
I got an estimate for 500 usd dollars to replace the charge port. tech has not been out yet. it really seems like a software bug. I just plugged in. no latch. I get the error in phone. I open the door which triggers the cabin heat. wait a few secs and click and it turns dark blue. error goes away. same with charging. plug in and get error. click start charging and click latch sound and it locks in place. error goes away.

· Registered
5 Posts
my model 3 seems to have resolved the issue itself. what I did. I disabled scheduled charging. this meant the car latched and started charging right away after plugging in. then I turned scheduled charging back on and it is fixed. no more error message. now when I plug in it latches and turns dark blue a few secs after plug in.

· Registered
2019 m3 sr+
18 Posts
my model 3 seems to have resolved the issue itself. what I did. I disabled scheduled charging. this meant the car latched and started charging right away after plugging in. then I turned scheduled charging back on and it is fixed. no more error message. now when I plug in it latches and turns dark blue a few secs after plug in.
after just a phone app update 4.14.4, it cleared since charging last night. at least in the app. hoping car errors are gone too. will find out later today. mobile service came out and did something which had caused a lower charging rate and repeated latching attempts. not sure that has changed. they said it was probably software and I was expecting to wait for car update. none so far but gone is gone. did nothing different than usual.

· Registered
2019 m3 sr+
18 Posts
after just a phone app update 4.14.4, it cleared since charging last night. at least in the app. hoping car errors are gone too. will find out later today. mobile service came out and did something which had caused a lower charging rate and repeated latching attempts. not sure that has changed. they said it was probably software and I was expecting to wait for car update. none so far but gone is gone. did nothing different than usual.
after further investigation, car is still having same issue w/reduced charge speed errors etc. waiting for software for now...

· Registered
2019 m3 sr+
18 Posts
tried this on mine. no luck

· Registered
2019 m3 sr+
18 Posts
after further investigation, car is still having same issue w/reduced charge speed errors etc. waiting for software for now...
after software update 20.19 -> 36.20, no change in charging that I can tell. rebooted. probably do another service call. tried plugging in at a SuperCharger, same latch error

· Registered
231 Posts
The reply I received from Tesla service in Toronto was “this is a current know characteristic of firmware which will be resolved in a future update”
They did not reply when I asked when this might happen
It certainly seems like a software issue to me.
There's nothing wrong with my car's charging system/hardware and continues to charge properly even when the app reports that the latch isn't working (and it truly wasn't). As previously noted, when the temperature is above 5 or 6 degrees C the latch works and the error message doesn't appear.

· re member
887 Posts
The reply I received from Tesla service in Toronto was “this is a current know characteristic of firmware which will be resolved in a future update”
They did not reply when I asked when this might happen
Finally got my service ticket updated and they closed it with the same comment:
Font Technology Darkness Circle Terrestrial plant

· Registered
2019 m3 sr+
18 Posts
Mine seemed temperature related until service replaced parts. Now it repeatedly tries to latch, reduced charging speed on my wall connector and won't charge at all on supercharger. Have a new service appointment next week. 22.36.20 update so far.

· Registered
5 Posts
I am ignoring the issue for now. I am out of warrenty and got a $500 usd quote to fix. Other than an error message in app and failure to first latch when I plug in everything seems work normally. my charging rate is not reduced and when I start the charge the error disappears. even when I heat the car the message goes away and the latch activates. the problem for me is really only when I use scheduled charging and the temps are cold.

I have a feeling it is a software bug on older charging hardware that they did not fully test with for cold weather.

It certainly seems like a software issue to me.
There's nothing wrong with my car's charging system/hardware and continues to charge properly even when the app reports that the latch isn't working (and it truly wasn't). As previously noted, when the temperature is above 5 or 6 degrees C the latch works and the error message doesn't appear.
I get the same behavior!nu

· Registered
2019 m3 sr+
18 Posts
Mine seemed temperature related until service replaced parts. Now it repeatedly tries to latch, reduced charging speed on my wall connector and won't charge at all on supercharger. Have a new service appointment next week. 22.36.20 update so far.
mobile service came out and adjusted i guess. car 22.36.20 app 4.15.1-1483 updated today. seems to be fixed. supercharging works and full charge rate at home, warning gone. yay

· Registered
2019 m3 sr+
18 Posts
mobile service came out and adjusted i guess. car 22.36.20 app 4.15.1-1483 updated today. seems to be fixed. supercharging works and full charge rate at home, warning gone. yay
spoke too soon, app warning came back, frozen latch appears to be temp related overnight near freezing, car warnings still gone. back to waiting for a software fix

· Registered
4,275 Posts
I have an idea!

Try setting “scheduled departure time” about 15 min before your scheduled charging time. The car should be nice and pre-heated by the time the charging cycle begins, and therefore no frozen latch.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts