Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this forum and just registered because i have a question which i dont yet have an answer to

I bought a tesla model 3 long range , about 3 months ago now, and when i bought it the salesperson told me it was the newer version which would come with 610km range, which had just been released and its limit was higher due to a hardware update, and i thought cool, instead of 570km, an extra 40 is quite nice, i made the purchase. when i received the car, if i go to settings max charge limit is at 570km, which was strange to me, so i contacted the salesperson, and he told me something like "oh, dont worry, even tho it says 570 the actual limit is 610, bla bla", like just to shut me up and not clarifying at all

My question now is, how do i know what i bought? it might not look like a lot, but in 3 months ive droven 20.000km, those 40 extra km actually means a lot for my trips, did i buy something and was sold something else? this is frustrating me, and since the salesperson is my contact at tesla, how do i make an inquiry or something that people will actually tell me the truth, instead of trying to shut me up

Best regards

· Registered
4,277 Posts
Here in the US, a new Model3 LR has an advertised range of 353 miles EPA estimate. Or approximately 570 km. I recall that European authorities calculate range differently, could that be the difference. Also, we have a saying in this forum..."Never believe what you're told by Tesla employees, they generally much less educated than we are".

At any rate, whether it's 570 or 610, the number is purely a "guesstimate" of what the car can do under the most ideal of circumstances. Drive it around for a while, and you'll likely realize that your realistic range isn't 610 or 570. Under normal driving conditions for most people, you're likely to realize a range closer to 500.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello FRC,

Thanks for your reply. I probably didnt explain correctly, language barrier. But i am not complaining about EPA estimate and actual driving kms etc, im complaining about when i set it to max, my charging limit is 570km, and on the tesla website, its 610km, like my car should be, and isnt. Of course when driving i cant reach that, but thats normal and expected, i can make most 450km on it, but if my charging limit was 40km higher, id make an extra 30km, which may not look so much but would make a difference for me, and in the end, its about what i was "sold" and what i really bought, my car has a lower EPA than it states on tesla website

· Registered
4,277 Posts
The battery holds the energy that it holds, and no more. If you could convince Tesla to change the number you're seeing, it still wouldn't hold any more energy in my opinion. Perhaps, others here have a different opinion and will weigh in soon.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, the battery is still 75kwh as far as i know, but the truth is a few months ago, tesla website WLTP limit was 570km range, and now is 610, print attached https://prnt.sc/1x90kwc, what im thinking is, there is in fact an update, prob hardware or something that makes it more efficient, for said increase in range, but even thought i should get that new upgrade, i didnt

Best regards

· Premium Member
971 Posts
Yes, the battery is still 75kwh as far as i know, but the truth is a few months ago, tesla website WLTP limit was 570km range, and now is 610, print attached https://prnt.sc/1x90kwc, what im thinking is, there is in fact an update, prob hardware or something that makes it more efficient, for said increase in range, but even thought i should get that new upgrade, i didnt

Best regards
Tesla never shows the WLTP range at full charge, they always use the EPA range for the battery meter in the car, even for cars in Europe. No one sees the 614km WLTP number on the battery meter.

The fact that you are seeing 570km is actually a very good sign that you likely have the larger 82kWh battery.

In the EU, I understand that there is some documentation for each car that should specify a variant type. If it is E3LD or E5LD, then you have the larger battery. It is E3D, E3CD, E5D, or E5CD, then you have a smaller battery.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tesla never shows the WLTP range at full charge, they always use the EPA range for the battery meter in the car, even for cars in Europe. No one sees the 614km WLTP number on the battery meter.

The fact that you are seeing 570km is actually a very good sign that you likely have the larger 82kWh battery.

In the EU, I understand that there is some documentation for each car that should specify a variant type. If it is E3LD or E5LD, then you have the larger battery. It is E3D, E3CD, E5D, or E5CD, then you have a smaller battery.
Good morning

Thanks for your reply, i just checked the documents and it says E3LD, so all should be ok,

Its probably a coincidence that i can move my max charge to 570km (at 100%) which was the WLTP from a few months/year ago when i first started looking at the model 3, so i thought with the new upgrade, at 100% charge i should see 614km too

Thanks for your help

· Registered
3 Posts
Good morning

Thanks for your reply, i just checked the documents and it says E3LD, so all should be ok,

Its probably a coincidence that i can move my max charge to 570km (at 100%) which was the WLTP from a few months/year ago when i first started looking at the model 3, so i thought with the new upgrade, at 100% charge i should see 614km too

Thanks for your help
My M3LR AWD was delivered end Sept 21 and has the battery code MDL3 on the invoice. It's supposed to be the 82 KWh (~76 KWh usable). Currently with 550 Km on the clock, I have an estimated max range of ~ 540 Km via Teslafi following a charge to >=90% as they suggest.

Please, anybody correct me if I'm wrong or if you don't agree, but isn't it all related to the way you calculate this, based on average energy consumption? For example (and staying in KW), if you are a great and careful WLTP driver and consume an average of 0.12 KW per Km then with a 76 KW usable battery capacity your range could be, 76/0.12= ~633 Km. So, my Teslafi estimated 540 Km would be about 0.14 KW/Km - so careful but likely achievable driving. My real average so far is in the range ~420-470 Km which of course fits with my average consumption of ~ 16-18 KW/100 Km. I think my data fits with yours. So for me, it all comes down to driving style + road conditions.

As an aside, the ideal would be to have the battery capacity also expressed in KW. I would be fine calculating range quite nicely then based on my known average consumption and would only use their range estimate as backup. Maybe I've been polluted by my other BEV, a great Renault Zoé R90. That has a battery of KWh41 (which has unusable space at the top end so usable is 37-39 KW total). Renault's onboard range estimator is for EV battery nuls and I have always found it much more comforting to extract the KW values directly from the car using an ELM324 dongle and the CANZE app. Interestingly enough my M3 consumes on average, slightly less energy than the Zoé. Setting up a dongle seems slightly less easy to do for the 2021 M3?

· Registered
3 Posts
My M3LR AWD was delivered end Sept 21 and has the battery code MDL3 on the invoice. It's supposed to be the 82 KWh (~76 KWh usable). Currently with 550 Km on the clock, I have an estimated max range of ~ 540 Km via Teslafi following a charge to >=90% as they suggest.

Please, anybody correct me if I'm wrong or if you don't agree, but isn't it all related to the way you calculate this, based on average energy consumption? For example (and staying in KW), if you are a great and careful WLTP driver and consume an average of 0.12 KW per Km then with a 76 KW usable battery capacity your range could be, 76/0.12= ~633 Km. So, my Teslafi estimated 540 Km would be about 0.14 KW/Km - so careful but likely achievable driving. My real average so far is in the range ~420-470 Km which of course fits with my average consumption of ~ 16-18 KW/100 Km. I think my data fits with yours. So for me, it all comes down to driving style + road conditions.

As an aside, the ideal would be to have the battery capacity also expressed in KW. I would be fine calculating range quite nicely then based on my known average consumption and would only use their range estimate as backup. Maybe I've been polluted by my other BEV, a great Renault Zoé R90. That has a battery of KWh41 (which has unusable space at the top end so usable is 37-39 KW total). Renault's onboard range estimator is for EV battery nuls and I have always found it much more comforting to extract the KW values directly from the car using an ELM324 dongle and the CANZE app. Interestingly enough my M3 consumes on average, slightly less energy than the Zoé. Setting up a dongle seems slightly less easy to do for the 2021 M3?
See this post from 2020:

The user, "michigantesla" quoted 180 WH/mile = 112.5 WH/KM or 6.4 KM for 1% battery. That's ~640 KM @ 100% which is roughly in line with the WLPT figure of 614 KM for the 2021 M3 LR AWD.

All that said, I acknowledge that 1% of my battery may not be equivalent to 1% of the quoted data from 2020 so we must be careful with our comparisons!

Here is the way I like to look at it.

For the long range cars (~73KWH battery)

Driving at 180 WH /Mile means you can go 4 miles for each % of battery
Driving at 240 WH /Mile means you can go 3 miles for each % of battery
Driving at 360 WH /Mile means you can go 2 miles for each % of battery
Driving at 720 WH /Mile means you can go 1 miles for each % of battery

I wish the display could read miles/kwh and/or miles/per %. Just a more intuitive way for me to think about it as I am driving along.

· Premium Member
971 Posts
Please, anybody correct me if I'm wrong or if you don't agree, but isn't it all related to the way you calculate this, based on average energy consumption?
No, the km shown next to the battery icon has nothing to do with your average consumption. The km shown there actually represents the BMS estimated energy in your battery, converted from kWh to km using a constant specific to your model. For a 2021 Model 3 LR, each km represents about 130 Wh (maybe it's 131) of usable energy. Well, technically, that constant is higher on a new battery, until the battery degrades to some threshold, but that's not too important here.

Now, this energy estimate can be wrong sometimes. I suspect that's the case with your new car only showing 540km at 100%. Some long drives may help with this BMS estimate.

If you do want to see actual estimated range instead of estimated battery capacity, then enter a destination into the NAV and use the Trip tab on the Energy page.

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your insight and I think I understand. I've yet to do a longer road trip since I've only had the car for 5 weeks. Best I managed so far was Thursday with a trip out, 58 Km / 1h in each direction. The return traffic was often slow and interestingly enough, the car told me I had managed 124 Wh/Km. Teslafi showed, a 313 Km estimated range/269 Km rated range after a charge back to 50% ("theoretically" a 616 Km estimated range @ 100% charge) and 539-540 Km with the battery degradation reports and by the car itself as you suggested. So I guess I've a few longer trips to do if I want to see the range go above ~540 Km!

I guess this is just curiosity on my part and all a bit theoretical since I assume that one would plan a long road trip with a charging stop likely only using the car in the 20-90% battery charge range?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.