Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Anyone have this issue where it drops charge rate due to overheat at 240v, even though all connections are fine?
Does it show a warning message?

It will drop the charging power if any of the thermocouples in the charging cable get too warm and also if the voltage sags too much because this implies there could be a problem with your house wiring or your breaker.

It does this to prevent house fires. I've only seen that when charging from a portable battery power supply or a long extension cord but I've heard of it happening with sub-standard wiring, bad connections and even when the utility cannot fully supply the load on your neighborhood circuit.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
It does this to prevent house fires. I've only seen that when charging from a portable battery power supply or a long extension cord but I've heard of it happening with sub-standard wiring, bad connections and even when the utility cannot fully supply the load on your neighborhood circuit.
Not only to prevent house fires - also to prevent Mobile Connector/Wall Connector fires!

·
Super Moderator
17,290 Posts
Anyone have this issue where it drops charge rate due to overheat at 240v, even though all connections are fine?
Is it just a lower charging rate, or is the car also popping up a message about overheating?

If you can share a picture of what you're seeing, that would be best.

·
Premium Member
2020 MX Long Range Plus
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it just a lower charging rate, or is the car also popping up a message about overheating?

If you can share a picture of what you're seeing, that would be best.
It says charge rate lowered due to overheat, the outlet and Tesla module are warm but not hot. I will check the wiring, as suggested, with breaker off. Thx

·
Super Moderator
17,290 Posts
It says charge rate lowered due to overheat, the outlet and Tesla module are warm but not hot. I will check the wiring, as suggested, with breaker off. Thx
I'd really like to see the exact message, if possible.
I thought the messages usually pinpointed the location of the heating problem - the car or the adapter.
Example:

·
Premium Member
2020 MX Long Range Plus
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It worked, removed the plug from the Tesla Charger and re-installed. No issues charging. thanks!

·
Premium Member
2020 MX Long Range Plus
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd really like to see the exact message, if possible.
I thought the messages usually pinpointed the location of the heating problem - the car or the adapter.
Example:

disconnected tesla 240 plug from tesla charger and reconnected, then plugged into outlet. No more issues, thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Multi strand copper cables can compress after warming and cooling a few times. Maybe turn the breaker off and revisit all connections for tightness. My wall connecter lugs tolerated another quarter turn after six months. Good luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
what type of 240v receptacle are you using? I had a Leviton initially and started seeing this same message after 2 years of use. I replaced this with a Hubbell 240v NEMA 14-50 receptacle and my problem stopped. The Leviton did get hot, checked all the connections, did not help. Used Hubbell for past year with no problems.

·
Premium Member
2020 MX Long Range Plus
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Multi strand copper cables can compress after warming and cooling a few times. Maybe turn the breaker off and revisit all connections for tightness. My wall connecter lugs tolerated another quarter turn after six months. Good luck.
Thanks, the connections were tight. I bought the suggested I bought and installed the Kellems Hubbell ($90), was much more robust and made for EVs and other higher power devices that the Leviton cannot handle. The Leviton definitely showed signs of overheating. I think Electricians not familiar, just through in a 14-50, not looking at the need for higher end outlets. thx

·
Premium Member
2020 MX Long Range Plus
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what type of 240v receptacle are you using? I had a Leviton initially and started seeing this same message after 2 years of use. I replaced this with a Hubbell 240v NEMA 14-50 receptacle and my problem stopped. The Leviton did get hot, checked all the connections, did not help. Used Hubbell for past year with no problems.
Copying my reply to Randyman. Thanks. I bought the suggested I bought and installed the Kellems Hubbell ($90), was much more robust and made for EVs and other higher power devices that the Leviton cannot handle. The Leviton definitely showed signs of overheating. I think Electricians not familiar, just through in a 14-50, not looking at the need for higher end outlets. thx

·
Super Moderator
17,290 Posts
Copying my reply to Randyman.
Instead of repeating your reply, you can use the QUOTE button to reply to multiple posts within a single reply.
Just click on QUOTE for each post, then at the bottom of the reply text box, click on INSERT QUOTES to add them into your reply.
It will add them whereever the cursor is currenly placed, so make sure you didn't leave the cursor in the middle of a sentence.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks, the connections were tight. I bought the suggested I bought and installed the Kellems Hubbell ($90), was much more robust and made for EVs and other higher power devices that the Leviton cannot handle. The Leviton definitely showed signs of overheating. I think Electricians not familiar, just through in a 14-50, not looking at the need for higher end outlets. thx
I think you'll find the Hubbell will run much cooler. Plus the contact points for the plug are full contacts to the blade of the plug. Yea it's $90, but like the commercial says, I'm worth it. Well at least my car's worth it.
Another thing I did to address the heat was vent the receptacle cover. Not sure if it help's but can't hurt since I'm using an inside mount.
Gas Auto part Audio equipment Circle Font

·
Registered
9 Posts
I, too, have this problem. The error msg is " UMC_a017
Charge rate reduced - Wall plug temperature high
Check wall outlet wiring for proper installation"

My electrician came out to look at the circuit. It's a 50a breaker with a NEMA 6-50 outlet rated for 50a, i.e. the circuit is fine. Of course, the power company says they have no indications of power spikes so it's on my side of the meter.

The Gen 2 Mobile Connector NEMA 6-50 adapter plug gets hot and the brick in the Mobile Connector gets warm. Tesla service tells me the latter is normal. They checked the mobile connector using their own adapter and said it looks fine.

The charge rate reduction continued until I'm now at 16a charge rate. So, if it's not my circuit and it's the mobile connector that leaves two possible problems: the NEMA 6-50 adapter or an on-board charger flaw (no problems at Super Chargers or the rare ChargePoint J1772 charger).

This seems to me to be a pretty simple device (sense the current and, apparently the plug pins' temperature on the adapter and report upstream) so I'm not sure what could be wrong. This is probably oversimplified. Anyway, per Tesla guidance, I disconnect the adapter from the mobile connector brick rather than unplug the 6-50 plug except when I'm playing with connections trying to get a different result.

I've owned the car for slightly more than a year and it seems strage that there would be a flaw in a fairly new adapter. My next step is a new 6-50 adapter. Anyone have any thoughts on my story? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.