Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I don't see an easy way to change my font settings. I looked under account settings and under preferences. Other forum s/w allows font size or site scaling to be set.

There used to be an alert bell on the top row of icons. Is that gone or only appears when I have alerts? This icon, when clicked, would present a pop up that summarized alerts for me without going to the alerts page. Typically I would go to the what's new page and then I would click to see my alerts and use both the alerts popup and the what's new page to see what threads I wanted to read (by opening them up in new tabs).

The alerts selection in the menu under my profile picture takes me to the alerts page which I rarely went to in the old software, and never on purpose :)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Seems like the update to the new site is still on-going. Got a bunch of alerts about "awards" being received 40min ago.
perhaps. I just got the awards as well, but the ones i'm talking about were post count related. We shall see what updates over time, and perhaps Cricket will chime in.

Reactions: DocScott

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
All members fall under one of the following user titles now: Registered, Premium, Vendor, Moderator, Super Moderator, or Admin.

Points are currently based on Trophies, which are working on improvements to better reflect the community
hi Cricket -

we had trophies before. and we had indicators of number of posts. They were/are both fun. I think what you are saying is that trophies are here but post count levels are not. Pity.

Are you referring to your own posts or how the forum displays to you? If you are referring to the font and font size displayed by default, that is not something we can change at this time. There are settings within most devices, operating systems, and browsers though. Let me know if you need help finding these settings.
I am referring to how the forum displays to me. Some forum software allows for a change in font size (small/medium/large sort of thing) along with preferences for light and dark themes or preferred timezone. It doesn't sound like this forum software supports this. Pity.

I will adjust my browser down to 80% that seems to be about right. I don't need any helping hands on how to do that.

At this time you do need to click to view them.

Alerts/Notifications

A red dot on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site indicates that you have alerts or new conversations (private messages). When you click on your avatar you will see a number next to Alerts and/or Conversations indicating how many new ones you have. Click on each to view them.
Thank you for explaining how the alerts notification work - as I said, I understand how that works, the alerts page is essentially the same as the alerts page on the old software, and equally annoying to me. The alerts popup (as I described) worked better for my usage. But this seems to be gone. Pity.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
At the end of the day, the new owners have a need/desire to align all their forums to the same forum software. As a professional developer and software architect since 1987, I understand that. maintaining multiple sets of similar software, even multiple versions of the same software is hard and is cumbersome. It should have been obvious to anyone that the new owners - already running many forums - would align this forum to their software toolset.

That's a truth and as such an alignment of the software base for the forum is a valid goal.

However, like all alignments - this is sold as "improvements to make your experience better," I would have preferred the truth. Improved experience is a side-effect - a subjective side-effect - of corporate software alignment.

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You can absolutely choose between light mode and dark mode along with setting your time zone.

How To Switch Between Dark Mode & Light Mode

...clip ...

Choosing Your Time Zone

.... clip ...

- Cricket
Cricket - please stop misinterpreting my questions into opportunities to explain parts of the forum I understand (such as light/dark mode and timezone settings which I referenced as a place font size preferences are often found) instead of clearly answering the questions asked.

Please consider that doing this can be seen as mansplaining to people. I am sure that is far from your intent, but it can come across that way.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
It's much more than that though, it means we can do regular updates on our sites much faster making it possible to make improvements and handle bug fixes much faster.

- Cricket
My point exactly. The change to similar software as your other forums makes is easier/possible to maintain this one. A good goal, but in the end, it is the goal.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
When Canada finishes the plan for world domination, you'll all be sorry.

But you made me notice that locations are no longer under avatars, only the country flag. sigh.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
One note about location and the country flag (if all is working correctly.). If you'll hover your mouse over the flag it will give the city and state of the user too. I much prefer it to show all the time vs the hover, but that is how it seems to work here.
But it's better. We've been told it's better.

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Klaus-rf and GDN

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The ad feed seems to have changed. I think that it was google, now it seems to be yahoo. I may be wrong on that, but something about the ad choices has changed on this site, but not on other sites/forums which I visit, so I don't think that it is reflective of my general browser history.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Cricket. You really have to stop pointing out things that people likely already know about. I had clicked on that triangle (and the "ad choices" button beside the arrow) Doing so took me to a yahoo ad preferences page and did so on two different occasions/pages of the site.

Regardless, your pattern of explaining in great detail things which people did not ask to have explained is condescending and alienates you from the people with whom you should be trying to build a rapport. I have seen this repeatedly from you. Someone asks a question and you leap on the opportunity to explain in great detail a somewhat or even barely related subject.

Your pictures and explanations are great, they really are great. But when you explain things that people have not asked to have explained you risk characterizing people as unknowing - perhaps even as idiots.

I for one have no intention of ever asking you for direct help as I do not want to risk being talked down to - you have completely alienated me in your approach to "helping".

Reactions: FRC

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
... has consistently demonstrated an easy-going, helpful, and humorous approach.
"I think that if you ask around, you'll discover that's unlikely" - Toby Ziegler, The West Wing

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's one of my all time favourite quotes.

• Haha
Reactions: iChris93 and FRC

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I am following the thread "Electric Lawnmowers" (i double checked, and I am). A post was made to the thread but no alert happened. no red dot on my avatar picture, no red dot beside alerts in the drop down and nothing in the alerts page.

Please don't explain to me how to follow a thread or find the alerts page. I am following the thread. Other followed threads appear in my Alerts page when posts are made to them.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Unless we have a direct sponsor ad, it is still Google.
I had another happen. I got an ad for Discovery+ and when i hover over the arrow in the upper right corner or the "ad choices" text I get links to yahoo from both.

Blue Line Art Wall Rectangle

Rectangle Font Tints and shades Pattern Symmetry

Wood Grey Font Mesh Rectangle

doesn't happen on all ads, those do not have an "ad choices" text and the arrow in the upper right links to adservice.google.com

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I see no discernible difference in shading for the alerts. Why use a slightly different shade? why not use a different tincture - purple or red or green or something?

Reactions: iChris93
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.