Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
2101 - 2106 of 2106 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Nice work on the little screen ! I've started playing with a Rpi Pico & a number of SPI screens to do something similar :)

The main issue I have right now is I've tried two different ODB2 adapters (a random Amazon one and a Nexas Nexlink) and neither seem to work with "scan my tesla" on my phone. The apps connect to the adapter but no data is coming. I haven't tried yet to connect the CANBed 2040 (Pi Pico + CAN bus), as I still have to write some code to drive the CAN controller for my setup.

It's a Model 3 RWD 2022 (Australia, so built in Shanghai). It has an ODB2 connector under the glovebox. Is that supposed to have a functional CANBus ? It does seem to provide power...

· Registered
27 Posts
Good morning everyone, has anyone tried sending commands through CanBus? I would like, for example, to activate the autopilot from my device. I have seen that similar devices are available for purchase, for example configurable buttons. Thank you
EDIT: Yesterday I captured the GearLevelPosition message (0x229) and tried to write out the same message type after 1 second (with lever position half down, to activate autospeed)... no reaction. Almost certainly I need to change frame number and CRC...keep trying

· Registered
4 Posts
It took me a while but I am finally done with my CAN shield for ESP32. I am sending the CAN messages wirelessly and I have multiple receivers that I am calling 'gadgets'.

The first two gadgets I made are the 2 screens you see below. They show speed, SOC, turn signals, gear ..etc and they mount right on top of the steering wheel. The shield is programmed to read all CAN msgs and simply broadcast them over ESPNow. The gadgets filter and decode the msgs they are interested in. Here I used 0x118, 0x212, 0x257, 0x273, 0x2D3, 0x33A and 0x353. ( thanks to the awesome DBC file!)

I have ideas for other gadgets. For example, a receiver with a relay that opens/closes the garage door when it gets 'highbeam stalk pressed' twice CAN msgs within a second. Another is a CAN to MQTT gateway. A third is an ESP8266 with SD card shield that records ALL CAN msgs for offline/debugging use ...etc.

BTW, I am open for ideas if you see a good use/application.

Communication Device Gadget Audio equipment Data transfer cable Gas
Watch Product Gadget Font Clock

I like the square one more as it looks like a mini M3/Y screen (compared to the round one). I was thinking of rotating it 90 degrees but vertical is more useful in terms of real estate.

I made this video about my shield if you are interested

2101 - 2106 of 2106 Posts