Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

If you have the AC stink issue, what angle is your car parked most of the time

• slight upward angle, under 3 deg (front of car is higher than the back)

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • slight downward angle, under 3 deg (front of car is lower than the back)

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • large upward angle, over 3 deg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • large downward angle, over 3 deg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm damn lucky because I don't have the AC stink issue

Votes: 18 42.9%
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the stinky AC issue last year. I changed out the filters and did the coil clean and that seemed to take care of it. This past week it's come back. It's surprising since I've been working from home and only going out once or twice a week. I'm in Texas so it's as humid as an armpit. I got to thinking though, I park my car in my garage, pulled forward. There's a slight incline in my garage, so the car is tilted up, just a tiny bit. I'm testing backing into my garage to see if this makes a difference, but more data would help...so, if you have the AC stink, how is your car parked normally.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am reverse of you, I park tail in, with about a 1 degree angle down. I've replaced my filters, not necessarily for the smell, and used the recommended coil cleaner. It still happens from time to time, you have to let the coil dry out some prior to shutdown. I try to turn off ac as far away from my house as I can remember to do it. Turn up fan speed to 5+, no recirc, that usually does the trick.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Voted NO AC smell, because as of now I don't. Both 3's had the issue last year, but it went away over the winter. Then this spring I ordered new filters from Tesla and 2 cans of the KoolIT from Amazon. I think it was May timeframe out of boredom I got out one Sunday and replaced the filters and used the Kool IT on each car. Both cars are driven at least 5 days a week, short drives. The smell has not returned on either car so far.

Both cars are parked in a garage, I'd say just about as level and flat as cement was poured back in 1968.

Reactions: mcmoyer

·
Super Moderator
17,292 Posts
I've had AC smell issues with a few vehicles in the past.

For years now, I've been in the habit of turning off my AC (and putting the fan on high) when I'm about a mile from home, in an attempt to prevent the condensation that causes the issue. It seems to work, and I haven't had any AC smell in my vehicles for several years. Unfortunately, it's inconvenient in a Tesla, since it requires several touchscreen touches rather than just pressing a single AC button like on a normal car.

·
Super Moderator
4,700 Posts
I park level, AFAIK, and have the smell issue. Especially when it has rained recently.

Reactions: mcmoyer

·
10,954 Posts
Park the same way you do, head in and slight incline. In Florida where humidity is ridiculous. Also only moving the car 1-2 times a week. Also have the wet sock smell coming back 🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
41 Posts
Never had the smell last year however we have it now. the car is parked at a slight downward angle back to front. Since the car has been sitting much more i am wondering if that is part of the reason we now get the smell (cabin overheat kicking on without the car then being driven?). It only lasts a minute when the system first turns on and seems to dissipate quite quickly. The car then needs to sit overnight before the smell comes back. I was wondering if the lack of use or the weather has added to the problem appearing this year. I have new filters and am waiting to have the kool-it delivered before I put the new filters in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: aste154 and GDN

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Anyone tried this one yet? https://www.autozone.com/a-c-chargi...-certified-pro-odor-eliminator-8oz/208870_0_0

If I'm going to have to repeatedly do this, might as well save money each time.
I bought this one. Looks to have used about 1/2 the can, but that was because I realized that I left the recirc ON! Need to open that vent. So probably one can good for 3 applications. Worked, but only lasted maybe 6 months.

https://www.autozone.com/a-c-chargi...ator/a-c-pro-vent-and-duct-cleaner/530806_0_0

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The other option I've been considering is an Ozone generator.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Do you guys buy the filter from Tesla or an aftermarket?
I bought directly from Tesla as the price was reasonable and they shipped them right to my house. One of the few parts you can get online.

Reactions: iChris93

·
Super Moderator
17,292 Posts
I bought these for $19.99 from Amazon. They appeared to be identical to the OEM ones.
I'm not sure why the embedding shows $30.99. If you click through, I see $19.99 currently.

The Tesla ones are $34. They sell them for $17 individually, for no good reason, so be sure to buy two. But it's not a bad price for those who prefer to stay OEM.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-air-filter

·
Super Moderator
4,700 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Here is an interesting tidbit on the purchase from Tesla. As @garsh notes they are $17/each, but you need two of them. I needed 4, Tesla would not let me put 4 in the cart. Nothing I did would get 4 in to the cart at once, only 2. So I had to place two orders. I don't know if they don't want people hoarding them or reselling them? Thought it was a little crazy.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Here is an interesting tidbit on the purchase from Tesla. As @garsh notes they are $17/each, but you need two of them. I needed 4, Tesla would not let me put 4 in the cart. Nothing I did would get 4 in to the cart at once, only 2. So I had to place two orders. I don't know if they don't want people hoarding them or reselling them? Thought it was a little crazy.
There is a COVID limit of 2. Just like TP at WalMart.:p

·
Registered
590 Posts
I park level in my garage. And haven't had any big bad odor issues. But - at 2 years, I thought it might be good idea to change out the cabin air filters, so got one of the reputable ones from amazon, and installed them. Now, several weeks later, I have a "concrete dust" sort of smell in the car when starting out a drive - it's not really unpleasant, but slightly annoying - is this another variety of the odor problem?

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
I park level in my garage. And haven't had any big bad odor issues. But - at 2 years, I thought it might be good idea to change out the cabin air filters, so got one of the reputable ones from amazon, and installed them. Now, several weeks later, I have a "concrete dust" sort of smell in the car when starting out a drive - it's not really unpleasant, but slightly annoying - is this another variety of the odor problem?
What was the filter brand that you got? I also bought mine on Amazon (BOMA) - will be installing it soon.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.