Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is for discussing this particular version of Tesla's FSD.

For more general FSD disussions, please post to the FSDBeta MEGATHREAD.
Any off-topic posts in this thread will be moved to the FSDBeta Megathread.

Full Self-Driving Beta v10.12.2

FSD Beta v10.12.2 Release Notes

• Upgraded decision making framework for unprotected left turns with better modeling of objects' response to ego's actions by adding more features that shape the go/no-go decision. This increases robustness to noisy measurements while being more sticky to decisions within a safety margin. The framework also leverages median safe regions when necessary to maneuver across large turns and accelerating harder through maneuvers when required to safely exit the intersection.
  • Improved creeping for visibility using more accurate lane geometry and higher resolution occlusion detection.
  • Reduced instances of attempting uncomfortable turns through better integration with object future predictions during lane selection.
  • Upgraded planner to rely less on lanes to enable maneuvering smoothly out of restricted space.
  • Increased safety of turns with crossing traffic by improving the architecture of the lanes neural network which greatly boosted recall and geometric accuracy of crossing lanes.
  • Improved the recall and geometric accuracy of all lane predictions by adding 180k video clips to the training set.
  • Reduced traffic control related false slowdowns through better integration with lane structure and improved behavior with respect to yellow lights.
  • Improved the geometric accuracy of road edge and line predictions by adding a mixing/coupling layer with the generalized static obstacle network.
  • Improved geometric accuracy and understanding of visibility by retraining the generalized static obstacle network with improved data from the autolabeler and by adding 30k more videos clips.
  • Improved recall of motorcycles, reduced velocity error of close-by pedestrians and bicyclists, and reduced heading error of pedestrians by adding new sim and autolabeled data to the training set.
  • Improved precision of the "is parked" attribute on vehicles by adding 41k clips to the training set. Solved 48% of failure cases captured by our telemetry of 10.11.
  • Improved detection recall of far-away crossing objects by regenerating the dataset with improved versions of the neural networks used in the autolabeler which increased data quality.
  • Improved offsetting behavior when maneuvering around cars with open doors.
  • Improved angular velocity and lane-centric velocity for non-VRU objects by upgrading it into network predicted tasks.
  • Improved comfort when lane changing behind vehicles with harsh deceleration by tighter integration between lead vehicles future motion estimate and planned lane change profile.
  • Increased reliance on network-predicted acceleration for all moving objects, previously only longitudinally relevant objects.
  • Updated nearby vehicle assets with visualization indicating when a vehicle has a door open.
  • Improved system frame rate +1.8 frames per second by removing three legacy neural networks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Drove about 20 miles of country and suburban roads. Did well with NO interventions. Even went through two roundabouts without stopping at them. Much smoother on stop sign right turns.
Just did another 15 miles drive with no interventions. Most country and small city roads. When speed went 45 to 35 it slowed down immediately, instead of the usual 2-3 blocks. Only thing it missed was turning into the restaurant parking lot and parking.
I believe their is hope

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Looks like "Wednesday" is tomorrow:
Grey Font Screenshot Communication Device Electronic device

Well I won't have to 'twitter annoy' Elon. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

• Haha
Reactions: Kizzy

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I just completed a short drive with 2022.12.3.20 and while I noticed better visuals, I did not notice an improvement in driving . Still drives to middle of lane at stop signs so that other may not make right turns. Still tries to center itself on wide one-lane roads and thus continually swerves between left lane line and cars that are parked on the right. I did not notice any additional increase in "confidence" as others (YouTube) have experienced.

Reactions: TomT

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
My FSD ‘strike out’ was not reset so I’m back to just Autopilot.

Bob Wilson

·
Registered
387 Posts
My FSD ‘strike out’ was not reset so I’m back to just Autopilot.

Bob Wilson
Welcome to the strike out club. There is a thread I started.
At least you are getting updates. I entered the club back in November and only updates I am getting are based on recalls. Even the first big FSD upgrade that was supposed to reset the count (I think it is 5 now, but it was 3 when I got curbed) I never got. Recall in January updated to the then latest, buy no reset.
I don't believe we will get in till it goes out of Beta. I tried to get out off beta by writing about 2 dozen emails, nothing. Really sucks.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Reduced traffic control related false slowdowns through better integration with lane structure and improved behavior with respect to yellow lights

Gave it good test run today. Was most interested in this point in the release notes. But at a flashing yellow outside a fire station, car braked as usual. Not corrected as specified in release notes.

·
re member
806 Posts
Just got this one. Haven’t had a chance to test the FSD stuff yet but very disappointed in the customizable app bar since it still limits the number that can be in that tray. Misunderstood some comments about it and expected the winter stuff to be additional. Guess we’ll have to make choices when the weather turns.

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts

·
re member
806 Posts
Have a separate profile for winter.
Right except that still requires some compromise and choices since none of the other buttons are seasonal. First world problem but one that was artificially created by some desert dwelling programmers.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Notes from my usual drive pattern this AM with the current FSD-BB v12.3.20:

• Still travels down center or left of center [into oncoming traffic] of residential roads without a center stripe. Has been doing this for a very, very long time. No improvement.
  • Still very jerky on turns and still comes WAY too close to curbs. For example on a left turn (left of two turn lanes) it came within ~ two inches (left front wheel) to hitting the center curb on the destination road (I don't get that close to pylons at autocrosses). It did however properly take the left lane and not the right one!
  • Still VERY confused and jerky when turning from a unmarked (no center lane line) road onto a roadway with two lanes. Erratic when deciding which lane to go into.
  • Still many random, erratic redonculous lane changes on straight roads with two lanes and no traffic. - Counted 12 attempted lane changes (all while at 47 MPH) in a two mile section of road.
  • Waits until ~30 feet from the stop line after entering a left turn bay to activate the turn signal - ~200 feet too late. All other turn signals for turns are also too late.
  • Seems smoother in staying in the center of a lane (with lane markings on both sides) and not as many micro-waverings (until the redonculous, random lane changes start up again).
  • Several NEW cases where the car just stops for no apparent reason on 45MPH dual-lane road. Has not done this before on this road. New bug.
  • Nav mapping appears to have been updated as it finally took the route I would normally take to get to a destination. All previous FSD-BB flavors went past the turn and took the long, over-water route.
  • Coming up to a red light, ~200 feet from the stop line, with no stopped traffic in front in either lane, I activated the left turn signal to prompt FSD-BB to move to the left lane. It attempted several times to move left - just wavering back and forth in he same lane - but never went over the lane marker line. I had to manually move over a lane. No idea why this happened.
  • Moves over slightly from bicyclist in bike lane way too late. Waited until maybe ten feet from the cyclist before it moved over. That needs to be 50+ feet.
  • Had an event where FSD-BB rapidly jerked right in the right lane as if it was avoiding an object. There was no object and no traffic.

One step forward, two steps sideways, three steps back. This year will be another decade longer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
2022.12.3.20 downloaded a couple days ago. Haven’t tested with longer drives yet, but on short drives on mostly 35 MPH roads, I’m seeing some improvements. I experienced only one phantom slow down, actually an unwarranted all out gradual stop. There were many more slow downs with earlier version. Visuals are sharper. Left and right turns smoother, but t got a little confused as to location of right lane on a specific left turn. Will see if it repeats. Still doesn’t react to speeds less than 25.

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts
In my opinion, this build is still 💩. I used it this morning on my short commute to work. I had to stop at maybe 3 red lights. At each one of them, the car got tired of waiting and signaled at the stop to try to go into the turn lane and around traffic. This impatience is also in its quick accelerations and jerky stops.

Reactions: Klaus-rf

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I was one of the early ones to get FSD 10.12.2, but have been recuperating from surgery and unable to drive. Finally got out of jail tonight and so happy to get behind the wheel and test it out. My experiences with each new release have worn my expectations to nil. But with that as a back drop, I was pleasantly surprised. Biggest step forward that I’ve seen.

Single biggest improvement I saw was no longer over-steering left hand turns. I took over on almost all left hand turns previously, as I’d find us headed into the oncoming cars. Tonight, it did at least half a dozen left turns nearly perfect. I don’t think I intervened on any.

It behaved better with not changing lanes as meaninglessly as before. There were a couple of spots that it ALWAYS tried to change lanes in previous versions that it now behaved correctly.

There is a difference on the highway - when I tell it to change lanes I have to keep holding the turn stalk for longer or else it aborts the lane change. Previously, once it showed the blue shadow on where it would move to, then I could let go of the stalk and the car would complete the lane change. I find this change neither good nor bad, it is just distinctly different that I need to learn the new timing. Nothing says crazy driver like aborted lane changes for no reason.

Turn signals are still off a bit with usually coming on after already turning and one whacko insistence on a turn signal 0.4 miles before the next turn. But fewer occurrences of these on my one drive today compared to previous.

In 10.11.2 there was a new, awful behavior where it would move into the right shoulder before making a right turn near my house. Complete with rumble strip, it felt like riding a whale trying to beach itself, something it did 100% of the time at this one intersection. With 10.12.2 it also initially tried to go off the road, but as soon as it hit the rumble strip it self corrected, and then proceeded to make a beautifully smooth turn.

I feel like I got to drive the California version of FSD tonight. The version that all those in California say is “almost there.” It was much smoother than any previous FSD drive and certainly did much more right than wrong.

Reactions: RickO2018 and garsh

·
Registered
659 Posts
The car still fails to anticipate turns properly. It gets in the right lane while in traffic with a left turn coming up. Then, it is as if it recognizes where it needs to be at the last minute and tries to get back in the left lane but with traffic it is too late.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had this version for a few drives so I don't have a strong sense of what has improved or regressed. Today however on my way home from a dentist appointment I was getting the "keep your hands on the steering wheel" warning even though I was applying torque on it. I would even apply torque to the steering wheel until I disengaged FSD and it would not register. I tried to re-engage FSD many times on the remainder of the drive and it kept ignoring my torque on the wheel. I had to disengage each time to prevent getting a strike out. Eventually I rebooted while driving, after the reboot I pulled over and parked, started driving again, and as soon as I re-engaged FSD it immediately gave me a strike out (my first).

After I got home I did a hard reset (with brake pedal). Tomorrow I will try another drive.

Perhaps it is a hardware sensor issue...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I did not notice any additional increase in "confidence" as others (YouTube) have experienced.
I must concur. It still drives like it is on a learner's permit...

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I was getting the "keep your hands on the steering wheel" warning even though I was applying torque on it.
I experienced this today too. Perhaps not as extreme as your experience, and I didn’t end up with a strike, but I did get a couple warnings while I was applying what had previously been enough torque.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts