Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As usual, without named resources and knowing Elon/Tesla timelines believe what you want from the article. However even just rumors and some inside scoop will start to shape up. https://cleantechnica.com/2021/08/0...del-y-next-week-1-month-ahead-of-giga-berlin/

Some quick highlights from info in this article:
  • First Y will be produced next week - not street legal, for factory and testing purposes only
  • Street legal Production of the Y could start in just 2 months
  • A new design of the Y will be produced - per Elon @ earnings call
  • No mention in this article of battery type
  • GigaTX is ahead of Berlin

·
Super Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Tesla will produce its first full test Model Y at Giga Texas next week. That means it will be fully operational but not street legal."
I added more context to clarify, thanks for noting.

When you went by did it look like there was any way they could be producing cars in 2 months?

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
It's great to hear, and frankly I was betting on it. It will still be a few more months before they are selling Y's produced in Texas, but I bet this allows for a catch up in delivery times towards the end of the year. And I REALLY hope this new paint shop means they can finally offer a wider selection of more interesting paint colors. Dare I say even reduced costs next year?

·
Super Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's great to hear, and frankly I was betting on it. It will still be a few more months before they are selling Y's produced in Texas, but I bet this allows for a catch up in delivery times towards the end of the year. And I REALLY hope this new paint shop means they can finally offer a wider selection of more interesting paint colors. Dare I say even reduced costs next year?
Delivery dates for Y's are slipping to October for more than one person I've seen post information in the US. You think all future orders for the US are being postponed until TX is making cars to sell?

·
TOO Founder / Technoking
8,466 Posts
Just so everyone is aware, even though Y production could begin at Giga Texas fairly "soon", they did mention on the earnings call that initial production would likely be plan B with 2170 cell packs going into those cars as the 4680s are not ready yet. Anyone expecting to get a Y from there with new cells are not thinking straight

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
When you went by did it look like there was any way they could be producing cars in 2 months?
There's definitely a large enough section of the factory completed for them to do so. But right now there's no parking lot for factory workers, so I wouldn't expect that they're ready for that until I see some accommodations made for the required workers.

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
Anyone expecting to get a Y from there with new cells are not thinking straight
Ouch. :oops:

I'm definitely expecting to get a Y from there with 4680s.
But I'm also expecting to have to wait another year or two for that to happen, and I'm perfectly fine with waiting. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts
Ouch. :oops:

I'm definitely expecting to get a Y from there with 4680s.
But I'm also expecting to have to wait another year or two for that to happen, and I'm perfectly fine with waiting. :cool:
Once they start making it with the 2170s, I see large barrier to switching to 4680s.

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
Once they start making it with the 2170s, I see large barrier to switching to 4680s.
I would expect all 2170 packs to continue to be made in Nevada. I believe Texas and Berlin will only make 4680 packs. It's just taking them longer than they hoped to perfect the manufacturing. And Tesla is not one to postpone building & selling a car when there's a workaround available.

Keep in mind that the new Model S/X are designed to use both 4680 packs AND 2170 packs. So Tesla has already demonstrated the ability to design a car to accommodate both packs. The 4680 packs allow more capacity within the same volume - the "Plaid Plus" had a 520 mile range vs. 390 miles for the current "Plaid".

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Just so everyone is aware, even though Y production could begin at Giga Texas fairly "soon", they did mention on the earnings call that initial production would likely be plan B with 2170 cell packs going into those cars as the 4680s are not ready yet. Anyone expecting to get a Y from there with new cells are not thinking straight
How can I know for certain that I'm stinking thraight?

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Delivery dates for Y's are slipping to October for more than one person I've seen post information in the US. You think all future orders for the US are being postponed until TX is making cars to sell?
No, I'm sure production will continue at full tilt in freemont until Austin fully ramps, which will take additional months..and perhaps keep both going depending on demand.

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts
Keep in mind that the new Model S/X are designed to use both 4680 packs AND 2170 packs.
So no structural pack then?

·
Super Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know they ship battery packs from Reno to Fremont today and it seems now from Fremont to TX, but that can't be cheap and it must take tons of rail cars and packing. Guessing they could get 120 to 150 packs on a rail car, that is 2 to 3 rail cars per day. I guess a couple of trips per month with a 30 to 40 rail cars each. Of course that is only one component of the car. What about motors? They could come from Fremont too until other sections of the factory is fully built out, a very likely scenario. Might be focusing on frame body, paint, seats. Just have suppliers for wheels, glass, other components ramp and it could be pretty easy to start building. Once batteries, motors, etc are up to speed in TX quit shipping from Reno.

Reactions: Rick Steinwand

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
So no structural pack then?
Not with the 2170s.

To be clear - the PACK will be structural in either case. But only the 4680 cells are capable of becoming part of the structure, whereas a 2170 pack has to be structural on its own, and the batteries just sit inside it.

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts
Not with the 2170s.
I know that. But if the new S/X can take packs made with 2170s or 4680s, it seems like it's not designed for a structural pack.

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
I know that. But if the new S/X can take packs made with 2170s or 4680s, it seems like it's not designed for a structural pack.
Sorry, I edited that post shortly afterwards:

To be clear - the PACK will be structural in either case. But only the 4680 cells are capable of becoming part of the structure, whereas a 2170 pack has to be structural on its own, and the batteries just sit inside it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts