Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Stinger (open style) trailer to pull 2 large motorcycles behind my 2022 resfreshed S. My only real concern is how badly my range will suffer. I have a normal range of 650km/400 miles but...

One cold winter night, I was driving home with 2 electric mountain bikes on a bike rack on the back of my 3 and at normal highway speeds, wow did my range ever suffer! I started the trip with 50% more range than a normal summer drive and it ended up being a nail-biter of a trip. I don't recall exactly, but it was something like a 45% drop in range. I was expecting a drop, but certainly not that much! I finally had to bail on the expressway and take slower back roads home, just making it with just 12 kms of range remaining. : (

Does anyone have real world experience with this type of trailering?

Attachments

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of purchasing a Stinger (open style) trailer to pull 2 large motorcycles behind my 2022 resfreshed S. My only concern is how badly my range will suffer. I have a normal range of 650km/400 miles but I've already had 1 bad experience with range drop when trailering which is giving me real concern.

Does anyone have real world experience with this type of trailering? I know this isn't the Model S forum, but I've had no responses there. Thanks!

Attachments

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking of purchasing a Stinger (open style) trailer to pull 2 large motorcycles behind my 2022 resfreshed S. My only concern is how badly my range will suffer. I have a normal range of 650km/400 miles but I've already had 1 bad experience with range drop when trailering which is giving me real concern.

Does anyone have real world experience with this type of trailering? I know this isn't the Model S forum, but I've had no responses there. Thanks!

Attachments

· TOO Founder
5,664 Posts
Depends on the weight and aerodynamic efficiency of what you are towing.

Our friend Kyle did a great test using the new Rivian R1T towing 1500lbs on an open trailer then simulating what would happen if was "draggy" without the extra weight.

TLDR: Basically it's 50% loss due to weight and an extra 30% if the trailer is really draggy.

Personally I have had some experience with my Model X towing bicycles on the back and the loss was an easy 25%, same thing on my Model 3. But with your Model S even if it was a 50% loss you're still doing fine and well within the range of the vast majority of Superchargers.

· Registered
10 Posts

Hello ! I have real world experience ! I have an off road bike and a 2015 85D with a hidden hitch. I pull a 5 x 8 trailer from Lowes. The loading ramp makes all of the difference on my trailer and acts like a parachute. I removed the ramp from the trailer.

· Registered
10 Posts
I have 120000 miles on the car and drive it a lot. My battery pack will do about 240 miles 0 - 100%. I accelerate slowly and usually only run interstate with a set speed. My need to charge has increased. I have only pulled to another part of the state twice and it was 49 degrees the first time. second time was better. Drove from Ft. Myers to Riverview Fl. 115 miles 75 mph. That is on the flat terrain with 21 " wheels... Not bad at all. I go about the same distance on that route without the trailer and three traffic jams on a Saturday. We have a 2020 Model 3 Long range and the 2015 Model S 85D. We are in Florida and these cars love the heat and actually make range at a constant speed. Cold weather, Not so much. So my trailer is 355 lbs and my dirt bike is 240 lbs. I can pick up the front of the trailer with the bike on it. I have my riding gear in the back seat as well. I want the car to ride level and have the belly of the car parallel with the road for less wind resistance. Also the tongue weight limit for my Torklift Ecohitch 400 lbs with 4000 towing capacity. So on a warm day I could go further. I could easily make a loop inside my county. My trailer can do 1600 lbs with a 2000 lbs axle. It is a great set up and super easy to load and unload. The double Stinger trailer is 600 lbs empty and can carry 2900 lbs . The stinger is more heavy duty and can carry two Honda Goldwings with capacity to spare. In my opinion the exceeding of the hitch tongue weight is more of an issue than the range with a new Long range Model S.

· Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
3,094 Posts
Hello ! I have real world experience ! I have an off road bike and a 2015 85D with a hidden hitch. I pull a 5 x 8 trailer from Lowes. The loading ramp makes all of the difference on my trailer and acts like a parachute. I removed the ramp from the trailer.
I can see that being a huge factor. We regularly haul a grill/cooler during the summer in our Y using a hitch shelf. We don't even notice any range loss. Literally see more range loss when we drive around with all our windows open. Drag is a serious hit to efficiency.

Reactions: Ace Ranch

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, about 1500 miles later, I can report that towing the motorcycle reduced my range (again a 2021 MS refresh) by 35% to 40% depending on how fast I was going. I drove very conservatively, usually only about 7 mph over the speed limit on autopilot. The Tesla doesn't calculate remaining range based on actual experience, so you have to allow for that yourself. Strange though...my Chevy Bolt could do this 5 years ago and it was much more accurate at range estimates!

· Super Moderator
17,742 Posts
The Tesla doesn't calculate remaining range based on actual experience, so you have to allow for that yourself. Strange though...my Chevy Bolt could do this 5 years ago and it was much more accurate at range estimates!
I assume you're talking about the "miles remaining" number that appears next to the battery symbol. Note that this is NOT meant to be an accurate guess of miles remaining. It's only ever a percentage of rated miles. This is why a lot of us here recommend switching your display to show percentage rather than distance.

For an accurate guess, use the Energy display, and in particular the Trip tab. Note that you need to have a destination entered into the navigation for this to work. This will show you a much more accurate estimate of expected battery state both during and at the end of the trip. It takes into account elevation changes, and I believe a recent Tesla software update also has it taking weather into account. But most importantly, it will continually adjust the estimate as you drive.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I completed the trip and can report a 35% to 40% range hit, depending on speed. I was on autopilot most of the time, set at speed limit + 5 mph. The more frequent charge stops not really a problem, as much as were the Supercharging stations that lacked a nose-in charger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.