Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Model 3 driver's seat is uncomfortable for me b/c the headrest pushes my head forward and down. I believe the headrest is not adjustable. I assume the best fix is to use a backrest. But most backrests are thick in the lumbar area and thin in the chest area and would probably not push my upper body forward enough to solve my problem.

I'm thinking of buying such a backrest and installing it upside down so the thick part is at my chest and pushes my upper body forward enough that the headrest would no longer be uncomfortable. (But it may be uncomfortable [and bad for my back] to use the headrest upside down. Do you know of any backrests that are as thick in the chest area as they are in the lumbar area?)

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how have you resolved it? If you are using a backrest, which model do you recommend, and do you use it as designed or upside down?

· TOO Founder
5,664 Posts
Tesla has designed the headrest to be on an angle that puts it vertical when the seat is reclined to the proper angle. Are you sure you don’t have it too upright?

Also, you *can* reverse the headrest. If you push down on the seat foam on either side to expose the rods you can pull the retainer clips and pull off the headrest and reverse it. Many do this when wearing helmets on the track. Beware: the headrest posts slip into loops moulded in to the plastic back of the seat so it all fall away when you pull it out

· Super Moderator
17,747 Posts
Tesla has designed the headrest to be on an angle that puts it vertical when the seat is reclined to the proper angle. Are you sure you don't have it too upright?
You can never have your seat too upright. :p
The headrest positioning is not Tesla's fault. Blame the government:

Starting in September 2009, car manufacturers started complying with a new federal law that required head restraints to be no more than 2.2″ from the back of a passenger's head. Unfortunately, it seems that the passengers they used to determine this correct distance have horrible posture, and tend to slouch forward in their seats.

I actually bent the headrests in my previous two vehicles to put them in a more upright position.
I actually tried bending the headrest posts for my Model 3 as well, but the bottom of the headrest still protruded too much for my comfort.
I've actually reinstalled by headrest backwards. Now I can sit upright with proper posture.

Here's what it looks like, next to a picture of me in a stock Model Y for comparison.

· Premium Member
894 Posts
The Model 3 driver's seat is uncomfortable for me b/c the headrest pushes my head forward and down. I believe the headrest is not adjustable. I assume the best fix is to use a backrest. But most backrests are thick in the lumbar area and thin in the chest area and would probably not push my upper body forward enough to solve my problem.

I'm thinking of buying such a backrest and installing it upside down so the thick part is at my chest and pushes my upper body forward enough that the headrest would no longer be uncomfortable. (But it may be uncomfortable [and bad for my back] to use the headrest upside down. Do you know of any backrests that are as thick in the chest area as they are in the lumbar area?)

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how have you resolved it? If you are using a backrest, which model do you recommend, and do you use it as designed or upside down?
Common issue today, and @garsh correctly mentions this is a government mandate. So now there is another consideration to buying a car: can the driver's headrest be easily adjusted or reversed, i.e., without major welding or vehicular reconstruction? If not, go to the next car on your shortlist.

· Premium Member
775 Posts
That's odd. I don't even notice the headrest. In general the seats are comfortable and supportive in the right places. You are at a danger of whiplash if there is too much of a gap between your head and the headrest.

· Super Moderator
17,747 Posts
You are at a danger of whiplash if there is too much of a gap between your head and the headrest.
Correct. The government mandate is that it should be 2.2" away from a person's head, presumably to prevent whiplash. I think I'm close to that after my adjustment.

I've been careful of my posture since I developed a severe herniated disk in my neck several years ago. As you can see in the photo above, In a seat that I have not adjusted, I have to hold my head against the headrest, and it's not comfortable as every little bump gets transferred to your skull.

· Registered
1 Posts
You can never have your seat too upright. :p
The headrest positioning is not Tesla's fault. Blame the government:

I actually tried bending the headrest posts for my Model 3 as well, but the bottom of the headrest still protruded too much for my comfort.
I've actually reinstalled by headrest backwards. Now I can sit upright with proper posture.

Here's what it looks like, next to a picture of me in a stock Model Y for comparison.

How tall are you?

· re member
888 Posts
I came from a '94 and, at 6'3", the headrest bugged me for a while but, after adjusting the seat a little and forcing myself to keep my head against the headrest (bumpy roads make that weird at times), I've gotten used to the mandated position and find it oddly comfortable.

Having experienced whiplash (probably a minor concussion or two from rapid head movement), I'm more inclined to adjust my position and perception than to forget that headrests are mislabeled and really are safety devices which have been optimized over time. Be patient, make some minor seating position adjustments and you may get used to it and even feel better with potentially improved posture.

$.02

Reactions: Major Victory
1 - 12 of 12 Posts