Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Help with delivery date

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  SimonMatthews 
#1 ·
I ordered a Y in early October 2021, my delivery date has been moved 9 times. Both up and back. It looks now like it will be a year for delivery. Anyone had that experience? Is the process that poorly managed?

#2 ·
Supply constraints don't help, and a huge wait list is also a problem. But the fact is, the process IS that poorly managed. Customer service is a major weakness for Tesla. If you expect or require any sort of hand-holding, then Tesla is probably not the right choice for you. But, for many of us, the experience of owning and driving this remarkable vehicle warrants all of the abuse heaped upon us by corporate Tesla. Elon may mislead us and disappoint us on a regular basis, but he produces one hell of a vehicle.

Welcome to the forum, and...GO DAWGS!!!

#4 ·
he produces one hell of a vehicle.
Wow, I didn’t know Elon hand made each vehicle 😉. Give some credit to the team!

#3 ·
I don't think that the process is poorly managed, I just got off another forum talking about boats and people over there were also complaining that deliveries are months, even a year beyond expectation. Over there I don't really have the ability to even check when my boat is going to be delivered.

There's a lot of shortages in the supply chains and it is impacting just about everything.
Look at the China plant that had to close for many months, not really much that can be done about that. It is adding months to some delays.

We were a first order for the Model 3 and Model Y and between the two of them, we've waited over 3 years. And that wasn't because of the supply chain.

So, yes it is normal, regrettably.

#6 ·
I don't think that the process is poorly managed, I just got off another forum talking about boats and people over there were also complaining that deliveries are months, even a year beyond expectation. Over there I don't really have the ability to even check when my boat is going to be delivered.

There's a lot of shortages in the supply chains and it is impacting just about everything.
Look at the China plant that had to close for many months, not really much that can be done about that. It is adding months to some delays.

We were a first order for the Model 3 and Model Y and between the two of them, we've waited over 3 years. And that wasn't because of the supply chain.

So, yes it is normal, regrettably.
Ed, the problem is the continually moving forward and backward delivery window. They really don’t seem to have a grasp on how to manage the process or they are continually prioritizing high margin models and dropping lower ones back in the que.

#5 ·
my delivery date has been moved 9 times. Both up and back
I don't think that the process is poorly managed
I am in the “poorly managed” camp. It’s one thing if there are delays, but the constant schedule jerking in both directions is troublesome. I had ordered a new model 3 last August, with dates that kept moving out. Twice, when the estimate was months away, they assigned me a VIN and wanted me to take delivery within days when it was not possible from my end. They weren’t pleasant interactions and I felt utterly bullied. I ended up canceling my upgrade, deciding it wasn’t worth the hassle right now.

@GeorgiaDawg, hang in there. I totally agree with @FRC that the cars are worth the process pain. One possible suggestion - are you near a Tesla showroom where you could pop in and chat with a Service Advisor? Sometimes they can actually help. Because the process is so helter skelter, a car sometimes becomes available as they do the VIN shuffle.

#7 ·
The unofficial Tesla rule, until you get a VIN, any date is just a guess. Don't bank on them. When you get a VIN, then get ready.

Reactions: garsh and iChris93
#8 ·
When you get a VIN, then get ready.
Sometimes you have to be ready before or they’ll give the car to someone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.