Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m Jerry from Florida. I just ordered a Model Y last night. I’m not new to EVs, I’ve owned. 4 Nissan Leafs since 2015 But have loads of questions. Here are my first questions

1- delivery estimate is December-April. I want delivery after January to capture expected 2023 tax credit. Is it possible to request delay if Tesla try’s to deliver in December?

2- I currently have a 2020 Nissan EV Leaf SL Plus, a 2015 Lexus RX450h hybrid and a 2020 F350 diesel truck RV tow vehicle. I‘m torn whch car to replace, the EV Leaf or the ICE Lexus? I’m thinking keep the Leaf EV and Tesla and replace the Lexus. But unsure if not having a ICE car is the right decision. should i replace the Leaf and keep the Lexus Hybrid

3- is it reasonable to continue to use my hard wired EVSE at home and the nissan EVSE plugged into a 50 amp outlet at our cabin if I keep both EVs to charge both EVs? Or ok to use with Tesla only if I don’t keep the Nissan EV.?

4- What plug comes with the provided mobile charger in the Model Y.

Thats all the questions I have now. I’m sure I’ll have more later.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Hi @JerryR, Welcome!

I can answer a few...

2. I would keep the Lexus Hybrid in case you need to do long road trips without any planning. Superchargers are nice but you do have to do a little bit of planning on, for example, cross country road trips, etc. Some on here will argue that it's a breeze to go cross country using Superchargers, but it can be a hassle if you go to an out of the way spot and need to do some planning.

3. When I took delivery of my Model 3, it came with a J1772 adapter and both a NEMA 5-15 and 14-50 adapter for the mobile connector "charger". I don't think the J1772 adapter comes with the car anymore unless someone can chime in. The mobile connector is no longer part of the delivery of new cars from what I have read. So, if you have an existing 50 amp hardwired setup, then use that to charge your new Tesla with a J1772 adapter.

4. See above.

Have fun with your new Tesla!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
1...My understanding is that you can delay delivery once, after that you return to the back of the line at whatever prices are in play at that time. And there currently are no assurances that Teslas will qualify for the 2023 credit as far as I know.
2...I'd dump the Lexus because I never want to touch a gas pump again and the Tesla can easily do any trip in the continental US (and I've done 80K miles of them).
3/4...I think that currently the cars come with the J1772, but without the mobile connector (you'll have to pay extra for that). I'm certain that your current set-up will adequately service both cars with the addition of an adapter or two.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Is it possible to request delay if Tesla try’s to deliver in December?
Tesla always allows at least one refusal of a car VIN, as there can be all kinds of logistical reasons that someone can’t take delivery in a narrow window, often with little advanced notice. There are threads out there about the tax credit with speculations on what Tesla will and won’t do towards the end of this year to keep the model Y deliveries happening in the US. No one really knows how this will play out.

I’m thinking keep the Leaf EV and Tesla and replace the Lexus. But unsure if not having a ICE car is the right decision.
I think it really depends on your needs. We did a total change out of cars in 2017 and 2018, and at that time I felt that I still needed a gas car. My elderly parents are almost 400 miles away, and I felt I needed to be able to get there pronto. As there are now more superchargers and I have honed the trip to one < 15 min stop and one 20-25 min stop, I absolutely do not feel the need for a gas car. I do admit, tho, that on multiple thousands of mile trips that charging time does add up, and there are still some off-the-beaten path destinations that would take a little more planning. An EV is still my personal choice to do those trips too, but I concede it might not yet be the best choice for everyone.

·
Registered
345 Posts
1- From what I have read/watched, Teslas do not qualify for the 2023 tax credit. Tesla would have to alter the battery components before the end of the year to meet the qualifications.

2- Personally, I'd get rid of the Leaf. Why have 2 EVs. Nice to have an ICE backup vehicle.

3- Not sure on this, don't have experience with that.

4 - Your car may not come with a mobile charger depending on when you ordered it. If it does come with one, it should be the Gen2 mobile connector, and I think they only come with the 110v plug now. They used to come with a Nema 14-50 plug as well. But Tesla doesn't give you one with the car anymore, for orders after April 17th I think the date was?

As for other fast charging, the newer models do come with CCS1 support. So all you would need is the Tesla (or one of the aftermarket) CCS1 plus, and you can use CCS1 fast charging.

·
10,954 Posts
You can definitely delay delivery.

My wife and I have been a 2 (and only) EV household since 2018. No regrets.

As for charging. We both drive ~ 60 miles a day and have only 1 charger at 40 A. Pretty simple. When I get home from work I plug in my wife’s car and before going to bed I switch to my car.

·
Premium Member
2018 Model 3 AWD
144 Posts
You can purchase the Tesla UMC (mobile EVSE) for $200 from Tesla shop. It comes with a 120v pigtail and a 14-50 240v pigtail. Last year these were $300, so it is a good price if you need one.

All new Teslas come with the J1772 adapter so you can use any Level 2 EVSE that does not have a Tesla handle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

I just received a notice that a VIN has been assigned and delivery expected next week, 10 weeks after order. WHAT THE HECK?

As stated in my original posting, I don’t want delivery until 2023 to be able to possibly get a tax credit. Looks like Tesla is trying to push 2022 delivery’s so they could log 4th quarter profits.

I talked to the Tesla store employee last week about delaying an order. He said I get 1 opportunity to refuse delivery and then they would not bother me for 7 days. After 7 days are over as soon as a car that’s manufactured is matched to my my order they would again schedule delivery of that unit about 3 days after notification. . If I refuse the second VIN I would forfeit my $250 order fee and they would totally cancel the order.

No matter what, I will not take ownership in 2022 with a potential $7,500 tax credit. It will be interesting to see how this finally plays out.

Well since my original posting I traded my 2020 Nissan Leaf SL+ for a 2023 Leaf SV+.. With my trade it cost me $7,900 out of pocket after all fees, taxes etc. After $7,500 tax credit it will cost me only about $400. Heck of a deal.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Update:

I just received a notice that a VIN has been assigned and delivery expected next week, 10 weeks after order. WHAT THE HECK?

As stated in my original posting, I don’t want delivery until 2023 to be able to possibly get a tax credit. Looks like Tesla is trying to push 2022 delivery’s so they could log 4th quarter profits.

I talked to the Tesla store employee last week about delaying an order. He said I get 1 opportunity to refuse delivery and then they would not bother me for 7 days. After 7 days are over as soon as a car that’s manufactured is matched to my my order they would again schedule delivery of that unit about 3 days after notification. . If I refuse the second VIN I would forfeit my $250 order fee and they would totally cancel the order.

No matter what, I will not take ownership in 2022 with a potential $7,500 tax credit. It will be interesting to see how this finally plays out.

Well since my original posting I traded my 2020 Nissan Leaf SL+ for a 2023 Leaf SV+.. With my trade it cost me $7,900 out of pocket after all fees, taxes etc. After $7,500 tax credit it will cost me only about $400. Heck of a deal.
Tesla is forcing cars down people's throats right now. They will force you to take the car this year and if you refuse, keep your $250 deposit. I will not take the car this year, and it has nothing to do with the tax credit.

I filed against Tesla in Arbitration, have a case assigned and am waiting for a date to see them in arbitration.
Read your order agreement for info on how to do this.

Or just reorder on Jan 1 and lose the $250 if there is a bigger tax credit.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
If you have an issue, read pages 4-5 ofbyour order agreement. Arbitration details there.

I am not a lawyer so cannot give advice, but was easy to do.
You miss my point. I know how to arbitrate. My curiosity is about what you are arbitrating.

·
Registered
822 Posts
You miss my point. I know how to arbitrate. My curiosity is about what you are arbitrating.
I am not going public on what my legal grounds are for this issue. So many folks are deferring delivery due to the tax credit possibility and in my layman reading of the order conditions, that's probably not a winnable situation.

My situation is different and, if I go public, I don't want others to suddenly use my reasons. That could hurt my cause. Perhaps someday I will win and can share publicly.

This whole thing has soured my confidence in Tesla after purchasing/owning 2 Tesla's. The third order, Tesla cancellation is their doing, not mine. And for all practical purposes, they canceled a good relationship.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
And I beleive they have soured millions of loyal relationships. Look no further than this forum. I know it's anecdotal, but only one of the top four moderators of TESLA Owners Online currently drive a Tesla. I find this little piece of information to be just enough to nudge me beyond the edge of TSLA ownership. If the leaders of this forum don't own Tesla, I no longer want to own TSLA.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Tesla ownership and this forum used to be filled with excitement and anticipation. I honestly felt like we were on the ground floor of the future, real time. An EV that actually worked. It was overpriced, still had some design issues and would never be able to show it was cheaper than ICE, but we were driving fast cars and saving the environment and humanity. The gilt of excess was being eased by technology and hope. The company was run by an altruistic leader who’s believed in the mission and would be the last one the take his money out of Tesla. The successful stock pump continued with kickstarter announcements of vapor products, roadster, semi, bot, cybertruck, solar roof, hyperloop, Mars missions and many small teases like revolutionary HVACs, powerwalls, gigapress, reduced wiring, SpaceX stainless car exoskeletons , 4860s. I feel like we have been left on the curb by a stepfather that just forgot us. I’m very board of PowerPoint presentations and future talk is just Tesla Fantasy Uncertainty and Doubt.

He has no chance of fixing twitter and he gave up on Tesla. Being an existing owner is very scary with the proprietary service, recalls that they can’t handlle. Elon has also picked a fight with all the people he needs at this time, like the government, apple, google.

I thought I new what type of a person buys a Tesla, and who their core market was. Tesla/Elon has alienated most of that base. People like myself that cannot support an egotistical, non humanitarian and the stock owners that did not care what Elon says as long as they were making big profits Have changed their tune. The right wing crazys that love what he is doing on twitter, I don’t think are buying Teslas. Financing for all is gone. It is not cheaper to insure. Who is Tesla marketing to?

I do have $100 invested in my trimotor cybertruck. I’m glad I have my price locked in. I hope it fits in my garage, I get it in time for Christmas. Will they still be using delivery trucks, or will my Cybertruck drive right out the GigaDoor at GigaTexas and drive itself to me.

New Tesla referral program, haha. what perk could they give to hook a friend up with a Kickstarter crypto timeshare.

it’s been two weeks is that bot dancing yet?

what the hell happened to the roadster? I am missing something. Why are no people like Trevor, who are to receive two free roadsters complaining? That’s a half $1 million. I have not seen one video of one person that was expecting this years ago complaining. Did tesla compensate them? I’ll never get my ride, but it would be nice to know what happened, very quiet.

Reactions: Klaus-rf

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Here is where the gamble part of this comes in: There is a pretty good possibility that Tesla will raise prices to compensate for the tax credit at the beginning of 2023, and if you delay delivery you might be paying the new price - which negates any savings you might get from the tax credit. You might be paying the same for the car now - but like I said, it’s a gamble, because it’s also dependent on whether the short delivery times now are because of year end rush or because demand has fallen and inventory is going up (meaning the prices could go down in 2023 instead).

I guess what I’m getting at is saving $7500 but not taking delivery now is not a sure thing. You might save less by waiting, or nothing at all. You might save more. If you’re not someone who really needs the $7500 in order to purchase the car, it might not be worth the gamble.

As for charging, you can use one EVSE and charge based on alternate days or priority. Whichever one needs it more gets charged first, otherwise alternate days. Unless you drive ridiculous distances daily or are a youtuber who tests EV’s, you probably won’t need both cars charged to full every day.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Here is where the gamble part of this comes in: There is a pretty good possibility that Tesla will raise prices to compensate for the tax credit at the beginning of 2023, and if you delay delivery you might be paying the new price - which negates any savings you might get from the tax credit. You might be paying the same for the car now - but like I said, it’s a gamble, because it’s also dependent on whether the short delivery times now are because of year end rush or because demand has fallen and inventory is going up (meaning the prices could go down in 2023 instead).

I guess what I’m getting at is saving $7500 but not taking delivery now is not a sure thing. You might save less by waiting, or nothing at all. You might save more. If you’re not someone who really needs the $7500 in order to purchase the car, it might not be worth the gamble.

As for charging, you can use one EVSE and charge based on alternate days or priority. Whichever one needs it more gets charged first, otherwise alternate days. Unless you drive ridiculous distances daily or are a youtuber who tests EV’s, you probably won’t need both cars charged to full every day.
Tesla's order backlog has dwindled. If you order a LR MY today, 50/50 chance you will get it in December. A MYP version, 90%, plenty in inventory. Model 3 SR, December delivery likely. Raise prices is stupid.

Further for less than I can order a MY, I ordered a Cadillac Lyriq. Its an early confirmed 2023 order. A larger more luxury SUV/car, with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, built in SXM and for at least 3 years, no extra charge for SuperCruise. Their 300+ range is real range, not EPA testing B$ that Tesla uses. How do I know? Hummers and Bolt's exceed their rated range.

BTW, I know two buyers of the EV6 for $52K, love them. Meets its 300 mile range.

And Tesla just lowered China prices. Raise US prices would be very very dumb for Tesla. But they have done a few dumb things so I would not bet against it.

Charging infrastructure, yeah behind Tesla but, that won't inhibit many. New EV owners will keep one ICE car for long trips and CCS cars will be the local use ones until the infrastructure catches up. Say late 2024.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Tesla's order backlog has dwindled. If you order a LR MY today, 50/50 chance you will get it in December. A MYP version, 90%, plenty in inventory. Model 3 SR, December delivery likely. Raise prices is stupid.
One of the big issues with Tesla not being transparent is that toward the end of the year they tend to speed up production to end the year big. They bring in temporary workers, and assemble cars in temporary tents in the parking lots of the factories.

Then in January, production falls dramatically because they send the temp workers home and disassemble the tents. This is when we get a real, tangible idea of what Tesla demand is like. And then Tesla usually looks at its current order queue, and its expected (lower) production for January, and decides whether to raise prices.

Additionally, in January the subsidy arrives, which leaves Tesla free to increase its profit margin by making sure as much of those subsidies go to them and not to the customer. They would do that by raising prices by $7500 per model, or less if $7500 would cause them to go over the maximum allowed by the subsidy. In all, I expect Tesla to initially raise prices just enough so it's within $500 or so of the maximum allowed by the subsidy.

I think it's only after they do that, and then get stuck with leftover inventory at the end of Q1, that they might finally lower prices. And probably not by that much. If they do any dramatic price cutting, it would be in June or July, and only if they really, really can't get rid of inventory. Because then they're finally at a point where answering to stockholders over inventory on hand is going to weigh more than answering to them about cutting the profit margin.

Further for less than I can order a MY, I ordered a Cadillac Lyriq. Its an early confirmed 2023 order. A larger more luxury SUV/car, with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, built in SXM and for at least 3 years, no extra charge for SuperCruise. Their 300+ range is real range, not EPA testing B$ that Tesla uses. How do I know? Hummers and Bolt's exceed their rated range.
Tesla, I believe, is the only manufacturer that treats the rated range as marketing and not a feature - so it's subject to as much exaggeration as possible rather than a simple, factual tech spec. Now that they've started it that way, though, they can't really change it without govt regulators cracking down on it first.

And Tesla just lowered China prices. Raise US prices would be very very dumb for Tesla. But they have done a few dumb things so I would not bet against it.
You can expect car features introduced in China to make it to the U.S. eventually, but pricing, not so much. The Chinese economy has so many differences, and is subject to a lot more government interference. For instance the government in China subsidizes its own home-grown brands so they're more affordable than Tesla, and then Tesla has to lower prices to compete. If only Tesla would have actual EV competition in the U.S., they might have to lower prices to compete here as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts