Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
421 - 440 of 471 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
More like ⅓. Definitely illegal (for on road use) in Europe.

You stated that this picture represents your taste of an offroad Tesla. Does that include the rear tires (and only them) sticking out? Btw how does your Tesla look like currently? Is it already lifted?

· Registered
86 Posts
More like ⅓. Definitely illegal (for on road use) in Europe.

You stated that this picture represents your taste of an offroad Tesla. Does that include the rear tires (and only them) sticking out? Btw how does your Tesla look like currently? Is it already lifted?
I just found out that the Focus never existed. Rain Prisk is an Estonian Photoshop artist!
yes, it’s photoshop, looking closely you can see that it was a photo of some 4x4 and then the ford was inserted on top of it, the angle doesn’t match which is why the front tires looks turned a little
But the light being cast from under the car and through the wheels is from the original picture. If you just glance at it is nice though.
Ideally the wheel and tire will be fully inside the wheel well, at least, in my opinion, not trying to recreate jeep rubicon here
i have bunch of stuff, skid plates, cool line protector, tint, oversized tires (245/40r19)

But no lift, was going to do a lot but all the reasonably priced parts never were able to do all that I wanted, and the rest are too costly ($10k for every thing is fine, $25k just for being able to use the desired wheel / tire size is too much for me)

if I had LR Model Y I would have gone 255/55R18 on rev2 model 3 aero wheels or Method 502 on performance Model Y, with lift kit and coilovers as that allows for AT tires and being me close enough to target.

was going to ‘just’ sell my 3 and get a y but decided a Cybertruck, even though I don’t need a truck’s bed, is a better fit (where is the cyber suv??) but then Tesla made this bone head move of removing gear stalks from S/X and Cybertruck so I placed an order for a Rivian R1S (ETA Q1 2024) .. crossing fingers for Tesla to:
1) open up supercharger network to other vehicles
2) return the gear stalk
3) introduce a cyberSUV, bonus points if it’s a little shorter than the Cybertruck (like how the R1S is shorter then the R1T)

The R1S is going to be my household’s second vehicle, doing all that the 3 can’t
If stalks come back then a Cybertruck might replace my model 3

but who knows, maybe they will do a major refresh to the model 3, move it to rear mega casting and structural battery pack and base it on same base the current variant of model Y is .. which means compatibility with 255/55R18 and you know .. gear stalks

· Registered
82 Posts
Did I mention that I drove on 255/55R18 for about a month in May on my Morocco trip and thereafter? They rub like crazy in the front (with the 4.5 cm spacers), reducing the turning angle to exactly half, but the rear was perfect (with the lift I have, otherwise they rub on the wheel arch liners under articulation).

· Registered
86 Posts
Did I mention that I drove on 255/55R18 for about a month in May on my Morocco trip and thereafter? They rub like crazy in the front (with the 4.5 cm spacers), reducing the turning angle to exactly half, but the rear was perfect (with the lift I have, otherwise they rub on the wheel arch liners under articulation).
You are not the first to do so, you are the fourth as far as I’m aware, there’s this guy:
Using wheels with offset of -7.5mm (instead of OEM stock of +40mm), doing so he is avoiding the front upper knuckle), according to him it still rubs front upper knuckle on high speeds due to tire expansion from centrifugal forces

there’s a German guy with metallic silver wrapped Tesla, same exact setup but no Instagram, some Germa tv show host featured it and refused to share details (on insta -https://instagram.com/franz_simon_drift?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=

and there’s a guy from Nevada but he’s actually running 215/55r18 with big spacers too, no poke, no rub, **** traction on public roads but guy does drive into the desert 🏜

so your findings are not surprising
The short version is that Model 3 can’t fit AT tires without big compromise of either traction, range, rubbing or price, while Model Y can, short of MPP making aftermarket upper front knuckle there’s not much else we can do and so your lifting efforts will do great in many aspects but won’t change front tire figment limitations

· Registered
82 Posts
You are not the first to do so, you are the fourth as far as I’m aware, there’s this guy:
Using wheels with offset of -7.5mm (instead of OEM stock of +40mm), doing so he is avoiding the front upper knuckle), according to him it still rubs front upper knuckle on high speeds due to tire expansion from centrifugal forces

there’s a German guy with metallic silver wrapped Tesla, same exact setup but no Instagram, some Germa tv show host featured it and refused to share details (on insta -https://instagram.com/franz_simon_drift?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=

and there’s a guy from Nevada but he’s actually running 215/55r18 with big spacers too, no poke, no rub, **** traction on public roads but guy does drive into the desert 🏜

so your findings are not surprising
The short version is that Model 3 can’t fit AT tires without big compromise of either traction, range, rubbing or price, while Model Y can, short of MPP making aftermarket upper front knuckle there’s not much else we can do and so your lifting efforts will do great in many aspects but won’t change front tire figment limitations
Well, that sounds like I did a good job with my current setup. I'm running rather big ATs and only lost range (and some traction on wet roads). No rubbing (anymore) and very low price except for the Spaccers I started with.

Your #1 has the Delta wheels, which are considerably smaller (245/45R18). I doubt he replaced the tires.
#2 I couldn't even find a Tesla pic. He lives in Dubai, so no TÜV.
#3 215 has a much smaller diameter than 255, due to 55 being a percentage.

My overall efficiency as a sporty driver is 55 % since adding the solar roof and switching to 70-ATs. The 4" lift also decreases efficiency.

· Registered
86 Posts
Well, that sounds like I did a good job with my current setup. I'm running rather big ATs and only lost range (and some traction on wet roads). No rubbing (anymore) and very low price except for the Spaccers I started with.

Your #1 has the Delta wheels, which are considerably smaller (245/45R18). I doubt he replaced the tires.
#2 I couldn't even find a Tesla pic. He lives in Dubai, so no TÜV.
#3 215 has a much smaller diameter than 255, due to 55 being a percentage.

My overall efficiency as a sporty driver is 60 % since adding the solar roof and switching to 70-ATs. The 4" lift also decreases efficiency.
The first is running what I said that they are running, the spoke to them, it’s also not the off the shelf wheel, it’s costume order with that offset.
here’s a picture of the second that I grabbed of an Instagram story in September 2020, owner lives in Germany, I have his license plate but won’t share per request
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

As for 3rd, he is on the other unofficial Tesla forums, the tire in the picture has the size I said on it, that’s what the manufacturer define it as, guy drives through mud gravel and dirt a lot, but when it comes time to highway high speed turns are crap show due to really poor traction

that said, even factoring the off road model 3 of “grind hard plumbing” on YouTube .. yours is the highest lifted one and thus possibly most capable one with the smallest amount of maneuverability compromise, in the expense of comfort. I certainly don’t think anyone could do any better without aftermarket upper knuckle and / or portal axles, so that does put your as #1

· Registered
82 Posts
The first is running what I said that they are running, the spoke to them, it’s also not the off the shelf wheel, it’s costume order with that offset.
Actually you didn't state what tires he's using. At least not in your last two posts in this thread. Hence I assumed 2555518.

here’s a picture of the second that I grabbed of an Instagram story in September 2020, owner lives in Germany, I have his license plate but won’t share per request
Knowing a license plate is useless in the EU. In Germany it just tells you, in which county the car was originally registered. So if that guy doesn't want you to share it, that could mean two things:
  1. He's a paranoid data protector.
  2. His car is also illegal in Germany.
But since Delta is an expensive legal tuner in Germany, I tend to believe the former. On the other hand, if the tires are rubbing, it can't be legal!

As for 3rd, he is on the other unofficial Tesla forums, the tire in the picture has the size I said on it, that’s what the manufacturer define it as, guy drives through mud gravel and dirt a lot, but when it comes time to highway high speed turns are crap show due to really poor traction
Actually 2155518 are the same diameter as 2355018, which I drove in the front for many years. That's just the largest possible diameter without changing the offset.

that said, even factoring the off road model 3 of “grind hard plumbing” on YouTube .. yours is the highest lifted one and thus possibly most capable one with the smallest amount of maneuverability compromise, in the expense of comfort. I certainly don’t think anyone could do any better without aftermarket upper knuckle and / or portal axles, so that does put your as #1
I loved that Grind Hard Plumbing videos! Unfortunately they never replied to any of my contact attempts. I would have loved to have them send me the rock sliders! :)
What do you mean by "maneuverability compromise, in the expense of comfort"? I understand the words, but not your meaning.

· Registered
82 Posts
My overall efficiency as a sporty driver is 55 % since adding the solar roof and switching to 70-ATs. The 4" lift also decreases efficiency.
I was referring to the TeslaFi efficiency percentage. Are you also a member? If not, here are the corresponding consumption values: 300 Wh/km in summer, 330 in winter. I mainly drive my commute, which is mostly small curvy country roads going through small villages. Average speed is 60 km/h, max 120.

· Registered
86 Posts
Actually you didn't state what tires he's using. At least not in your last two posts in this thread. Hence I assumed 2555518.
I wrote:
You are not the first to do so...
And when I done so I quoted you, your first sentence that I quoted said:

Did I mention that I drove on 255/55R18 ..
sorry for the confusion

You also don’t have to take my word for it.. if you would have seen the post back in September 2020 since the threads of the tire were shown as well as the side markings and at least as of that time Falken didn’t have all terrain tire on 18” that was smaller than that so it just had to be it
I suppose the owner sees no upside of sharing and only downsides and yes it’s for sure not kosher since it’s rubbing and sticking out a little due to offset of -7.6mm … their “trick” to avoid detection is to get costume order of a wheel that’s approved … in an unapproved size so visually it’s very similar .. there’s a chance they also had fenders flared professionally just a little to hide the poke ..but I’m just guessing here

· Registered
82 Posts
You're probably right about #1 and 2's trick to have wheels looking like the Delta approved ones, but actually being more extreme. If the rims are different, nobody will recognize, but the tire dimensions are checked by law enforcement (at least by TÜV), so if they aren't stated in the wheel's approval documents, you're ****ed. My trick is to just put legal wheels on for the inspection. Last time I got pulled over by police they only checked the thread, but not the dimensions and decided to punish me for tinted windows and overtaking on the right on a highway, which is unfortunately illegal in Germany.

· Registered
82 Posts
Don't you think the tires of the Morrvair sticking out that much look better than the ones on the Jeep?
Tires sticking out of the body don't seem to be any problem in the US... And they do more than just rub under full articulation: 15:34. The whole car would be completely impossible to register here. (What a pity.)

· Super Moderator
17,747 Posts
Tires sticking out of the body don't seem to be any problem in the US...
It's technically illegal in most US states, but I think it mostly results in secondary tickets. That is, the police won't pull you over for it, but if they pull you over for something more important, then they'll slap on extra fines for everything illegal about your car.

· Registered
86 Posts
I loved that Grind Hard Plumbing videos! Unfortunately they never replied to any of my contact attempts. I would have loved to have them send me the rock sliders! :)
What do you mean by "maneuverability compromise, in the expense of comfort"? I understand the words, but not your meaning.
1. I'm sure they would gladly take your money for a product, you just got to contact their biz email and look serious enough, I'm sure (as with any amount of fame) that they get boat load of time wasting contacts .. but other shops might be able to help you locally ... for a price
2. your turn radios is not so great and neither is your ride quality but you got the size you wanted which hopefully means you gained something out of it (pothole defense, dirt road clearance, etc), didn't mean to be cryptic

This goes to show the technical advantage of tires sticking out:
@13:00
Yes sure but do you have a plan to do that with a Tesla? =p
For me sticking out is not a goal but a byproduct of ... portal axles seeing as the only way to defeat the upper front knuckle is to dodge it all together, an after market upper knuckle would be a lot more reasonable, it would open up the size options without sticking out or other extreme measures

· Registered
82 Posts
I contacted Grind Hard Plumbing via their business e-mail address after they ignored me in the video comments. Even sent a reminder. Maybe it's because I'm in Europe... Their sliders don't have TÜV obviously, so I didn't search for local alternatives. I recently got contact to a metalworker, who will hopefully help me with the trailer build. Maybe he can build me sliders in the end... Unfortunately metalworks became crazy expensive in Germany lately.

My turn radius is not restricted with the current setup. The thread rubs a little bit on the frame at full turn, but it's not restricting or damaging at all. My ride quality is definitely improved regarding comfort - just not as much as I was hoping it to become.

You don't have to "drive on the side" to profit from the advantage of tires sticking out: On my first test drive in the Andalusian mountains after mounting the 2555518 in the front with the 4.5 cm spacers, I didn't see a big very sharp-edged rock that was hiding in a bush-like plant and scraped it with the side of the wheel that was sticking out. That saved me from scratching or possibly denting the rocker/sill (what is it called in the US?). A taller object could even reach the weak door panel! So sticking out tires can do the same job as a slider like the GHP one that sticks out sideways.
That said, I was talking about my rear axle (that I could let stick out for free), while you are now talking about the front axle - as I did in my experience example. Sticking out front tires on a Model 3 are severely limiting tire size or turning ability even with a lift. So that should be avoided as much as possible (ET15 and 22570 or similar). In the back it's just a question of lift, so I decided now to do it next year (after the third lift with the Korean Air Lift kit that's on the way to me currently). From my POV sticking out rear tires have slightly more pros than cons. I also like the "sporty offroad" look. With fender flares it's not more illegal than my current setup - just a little bit more obvious probably. But you got me with that Friends post. ;)

Sticking out wheels with monstrous flares are a big deal currently at Delta:

· Registered
86 Posts
What did you use to generate these? Some of them are really nice

also I checked and to convert something like this
Or say a Thundra to EV, not just engine and battery but everything from a model Y including infotainment system … is: $75k labor + supply your own model y donor + supply your own Thundra / whatever vehicle host …

would be awesome to see / have but at this prices I’ll just stick to Rivian R1S / Cybertruck

· Registered
39 Posts
I think I found a wheel/tire combination that should fit. Atraf would you please double check me?

225/50R18 mounted on 18x7.5+30 rims
Falken Wildpeak AT Trail is available in that size at $177 each. Currently 8 in stock.
Total diameter 26.9 so should be a 0.6" increase from stock and 0.3" ground clearance increase.

Tire available here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ter=18&cameFrom=selectSize&partnum=25VR8WPATT

Tire/rim fitment: Alloy Wheel & Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

Example of Nokian snow tires in that size in use:

Hard part might be finding 7.5 rims with the right offset?

421 - 440 of 471 Posts