Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2019 SR+
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Recently Tesla published EU map data version 2020.32-12313, which contains some improvements for European routing.
However, in the same update they decided to remove routing data for Ukraine, Belarus and nearby areas:

As a result, in-car navigation became pretty much useless for me and few hundreds of other Tesla users here ("No routes found to this location" for any location).

However, there may be a way to fix the issue for us, and potentially to find the way to update Tesla navigation data with fresh OpenStreetMap dumps which it uses, which may be beneficial for other regions where in-car routing is bad or absent.

Here's what I have found so far:

To move further, however, I have a question to the community:
Can anyone hint me on how the latest (or previous) EU map data file can be obtained, to check these assumptions and attempt to fix missing route data?

· Registered
2019 SR+
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you found anything on how to change navigation?
Asked Green if he knows something more on this matter - and yes, USB map update does exist.
However, files are signed - so there is no way to modify the maps unless the car is already rooted. In that case you can modify map data in place.

Also, Tesla released updated EU maps with Ukraine fixed - so the core issue also went away.

· Registered
2 Posts
Asked Green if he knows something more on this matter - and yes, USB map update does exist.
However, files are signed - so there is no way to modify the maps unless the car is already rooted. In that case you can modify map data in place.

Also, Tesla released updated EU maps with Ukraine fixed - so the core issue also went away.
So any info about ssq file for EU maps ?

· Registered
2019 SR+
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recently Tesla opened Service Manual access for free (at https://service.tesla.com/user/vehicle-models/Model3), and there we can see that map update procedure actually does exist:
- Obtain USB stick with maps data
- Put the vehicle into "Service Mode Plus" state
- Select "Install USB Navigation Data Update" from the menus.

The issue is, however, that "Service Mode Plus" is only activated via Tesla Toolbox, which is not publicly available - and also, it is still unclear how to get the map data to be put on the USB flash drive.

· Registered
4 Posts
Recently Tesla opened Service Manual access for free (at https://service.tesla.com/user/vehicle-models/Model3), and there we can see that map update procedure actually does exist:
- Obtain USB stick with maps data
- Put the vehicle into "Service Mode Plus" state
- Select "Install USB Navigation Data Update" from the menus.

The issue is, however, that "Service Mode Plus" is only activated via Tesla Toolbox, which is not publicly available - and also, it is still unclear how to get the map data to be put on the USB flash drive.
As far as I understand this is not the main problem. The problem is how to "sign" map files in the same manner as as Tesla does so firmware update is able to accept it from USB flash.

· Registered
2019 SR+
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From leaked Tesla firmware files t is known that the car checks any inserted USB flash drive for files matching "tesla_map_update_??.ssq", and if such file is present - "usbupdate-server" is launched, triggering map update.
This doesn't work?
Sort of "works", but not for wide audience:
  • Yes, this is the process which is actually used
  • However, .ssq files should be signed by Tesla (so we can't modify them, even if files are obtained)
  • "Service Mode +" vehicle mode is required, which is only possible with Tesla Toolbox subscription.

· Registered
4 Posts
Sort of "works", but not for wide audience:
  • Yes, this is the process which is actually used
  • However, .ssq files should be signed by Tesla (so we can't modify them, even if files are obtained)
  • "Service Mode +" vehicle mode is required, which is only possible with Tesla Toolbox subscription.
What do you mean by "signed", where signature is stored? As far as I can see this .ssq file is just regular squashfs image and it doesn't contain any files with signature inside.

· Registered
2019 SR+
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you mean by "signed", where signature is stored? As far as I can see this .ssq file is just regular squashfs image and it doesn't contain any files with signature inside.
I've asked Green (https://twitter.com/greentheonly) privately on these details, and he stated files are signed.
But if you do have Tesla map .ssq files to dig in - can you share an example?
squashfs images can have some signature files inside which are checked against the actual content, for example.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.