Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Kick-Gas Contributor
1,714 Posts
One would hope that will drive down the insurance premiums for the M3, which are presently the highest tier.
Only a small portion of the insurance premium is personal injury coverage. The Model 3 is very expensive to repair due to its aluminum body and lack of body shops that know how to repair aluminum. Plus, there's currently a lack of aftermarket parts to drive down costs and all of the crumple zones of modern cars protect the passengers but result in very costly repairs.

That being said, any car can be fixed or replaced. Lives are invaluable.

Reactions: Love and jsmay311

10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One would hope that will drive down the insurance premiums for the M3, which are presently the highest tier.
I actually pay less to insure my Model 3 than I paid for a Hyundai Sonata.

· Super Moderator
10,256 Posts
Only a small portion of the insurance premium is personal injury coverage. The Model 3 is very expensive to repair due to its aluminum body and lack of body shops that know how to repair aluminum. Plus, there's currently a lack of aftermarket parts to drive down costs and all of the crumple zones of modern cars protect the passengers but result in very costly repairs.

That being said, any car can be fixed or replaced. Lives are invaluable.
the collision avoidance features though are looked at favorably by insurance (or should be)

· Kick-Gas Contributor
1,714 Posts
the collision avoidance features though are looked at favorably by insurance (or should be)
I agree that these safety features are good and do reduce accidents and severity of accidents. Many insurance companies do reduce premiums based on these features being installed but Tesla's (and other manufacturer's) systems are not super reliable or else no cars equipped with them would have frontal impacts. A lot of times, they only reduce the severity of the collision.

Autopilot OTOH at the current Level 2 autonomy is a recipe for disaster with the general public. There is too much misuse by untrained, uneducated people with no concept that constant attention is required during AP use. Aside from ignorance about exactly what Level 2 autonomy is and the limits, human nature is such that we become complacent and too comfortable with the AP and become less vigilant over time. (A famous example is YouYou who complained AP was dangerous, had a LOT of experience driving with AP, and STILL didn't supervise his car and destroyed it)

Tesla should quickly advance AP to Level 3 and 4 even if it's not ready because mainstream drivers are already supervising their cars as if it were Level 3.

Reactions: Vin and garsh

· Super Moderator
10,256 Posts
A lot of times, they only reduce the severity of the collision.
which is what it is designed to do, reduce the severity, not prevent it all together

Tesla should quickly advance AP to Level 3 and 4 even if it's not ready because mainstream drivers are already supervising their cars as if it were Level 3.
how about they just do a better job of ensuring the users know WTF they are doing before allowing it to be activated?

· Private
1,398 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Mine went up only $50/6 months compared to a Subaru Impreza.

Glad to see it tested well, not that I had doubts. :)

Reactions: Charlie W

· Super Moderator
4,873 Posts
They also add cost to repair from fender benders.

· Registered
2,761 Posts
When my wife replaced the Volvo S80 with the Model 3, our 6-month premium declined by $50! That's another $100/year saved by the Model 3.

· Registered
1,649 Posts
Only a small portion of the insurance premium is personal injury coverage. The Model 3 is very expensive to repair due to its aluminum body and lack of body shops that know how to repair aluminum.
Model 3's body is steel. Only the external panels are alumium.

all of the crumple zones of modern cars protect the passengers but result in very costly repairs.
Model 3's front crush structure is unboltable so that it can be replaced.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.