Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Model 3 Owners Club Dashcam Group Buy

20K views 94 replies 24 participants last post by  sterickson 
#1 · (Edited)
Product Automotive tire Font Auto part Automotive wheel system

We are happy to announce the details for the Model 3 Owners Club BlackVue dashcam group buy!
There are two camera choices available, the BlackVue DR750S (1CH or 2CH) system with 1080p 60fps recording and the DR900S (1CH or 2CH) system with 4K 30fps recording. This year our members will have a choice to select the camera and SD card size that best fits their needs.

DR750S-1CH - https://www.thedashcamstore.com/blackvue-dr750s-1ch-single-lens-1080p-60fps-gps-wifi-dashcam/
DR750S-2CH - https://www.thedashcamstore.com/bla...al-1080p-gps-wifi-dashcam-for-front-and-rear/
DR900S-1CH - https://www.thedashcamstore.com/blackvue-dr900s-1ch-single-lens-4k-gps-wifi-cloud-capable-dashcam/
DR900S-2CH - https://www.thedashcamstore.com/bla...ifi-cloud-capable-dashcam-for-front-and-rear/

Shipping within the United States is no charge, Canadian shipping is $25.00 USD and will be sent by USPS Priority International.

The offer this year is 20% off your cart total and the discount will also apply to any compatible accessories to the BlackVue cameras (Power Magic Pro, B-124 Battery pack, polarizing filters, etc).

October 30: sorry, the deal is now closed

After your order is placed the order status will be updated to "awaiting shipment" until the group buy purchase is over.

Pricing on the website is shown in USD but Canadian members can change currency to CAD (look for the "All prices are in USD" link at the top right of any webpage.
For those outside the US and Canada, shipping will be per your individual location and will vary. Some locations the vendor is not able to ship directly to. PM @MelindaV if you have any questions on shipping outside of North America.

This generous discount will be available from October 22nd to October 29th , after which orders will start being fulfilled by November 9th. After your order is placed, you will receive a order notification that the order status has changed to "Awaiting Shipment" pending the end of the Group Buy purchase.

TECHNOTES:

BlackVue's Over the Cloud feature (for the 750 & 900):
https://www.blackvue.com/blackvue-over-the-cloud/

BlackVue's Parking Mode Explained:
https://www.blackvue.com/blackvue-dashcam-parking-mode/

Video Quality Settings & Recording Time chart:
https://www.blackvue.com/video-quality-settings-and-recording-time/
  • 16GB gives you 55 minutes of video at highest quality (on the 900).
  • 128GB gives you 7 hours and 20 minutes of video at highest quality (on the 900).
BlackVue DR750S-2CH Specifications
https://www.blackvue.com/dr750s-2ch/#1459846779052-0ad7b49f-b495

BlackVue DR900S-2CH Specifications
https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-2ch/#specifications

WHERE TO GET POWER IN THE MODEL 3:

Special notes about power:
The video above shows where to get SWITCHED power (when the car is running).

If you want always-on for a dashcam, then the best location is to pull out the overhead console with the hazard button and map lights. Feeding that you will see a yellow wire on the corner of that connector (pin 1), that is +12 hot always. If you need ground, the black wire on pin 16 is good. Don't pull over 1A from this circuit though!

Here's a PDF on another method to obtain power for the dashcam

Attachments

See less See more
1 2
#4 ·
This is probably the wrong thread, but isn't there an issue with pulling I switched power from model 3? I hear all sorts of things about error codes and dead 12v batteries from dash cams.
Those are from people who pulled peer directly from the battery instead of finding the correct place to pull power. That video shows the correct location for switched 12V

#6 · (Edited)
Yep, have watched that video before. So in most of the installs of the blackvue though, I saw that they were using a 12v accessory outlet, not direct wiring.

So, if I were to say, desire being able to run the dash cam when parked, I would have to spring for that battery kit then? I saw that they can do cloud upload in case someone decides to steal the camera in the middle of a theft etc, but I also see you have to have your own hotspot connection to make that work. In the videos I watched, it also seemed like once you set it up to use the cloud, your phone goes through that, which is a lower quality video? Are you still able to access the camera separate from the cloud?

#8 ·
Does some have a good list of which components are needed with which solution?

Unswitched power vs switched power, for instance.

Thanks.

#11 ·
If wired to switched power, the battery will recharge while the car is on, then it will power the camera while parked. If you plan to wire to constant power, the battery is not needed.
I did not want to go directly to constant power, so have the B124, currently plugged into the 12v outlet but eventually will change it over to a switched line... or just leave it on the 12v outlet (my last car didn't have a 12v outlet, so not sure at this point what else I would need it for besides the occasional tire inflation/top-up).

#14 ·
Got my 900S-2CH a few month back but was considering getting the battery pack (124). I figured I couldn’t use this group buy for the battery by itself but I tried it and it worked fine. Thanks for this! It pushed me over the edge on whether or not to get the battery so BalckVue got their money’s worth out of this customer

#21 ·
There are people saying that you can tap the yellow wire under the dome light to gain access to always on 12v power here:

can someone confirm?

Reactions: TrevP
#24 ·
calibredcustoms@gmail.com mobil installer for all of Cal said he would also do a 20% off for this group buy.
Mention clubs group buy. hopefully a few orders come from cal and all can get discount across the order and install.
How much is the install from them?

#28 ·
That's the smart way to do it. Buy the 16gb, and a separate 128 miniSD card.
They charging a premium for convenience

#36 ·
So just curious if others have gotten their cameras yet? I shot off an email because I hadn't heard anything since I ordered over a week ago, and the status had been updated to waiting for shipping. I figured I'd see a ship notification in a day or so, but nothing yet.

#37 ·
Please read the fine print on the very first post:

"This generous discount will be available from October 22nd to October 29th , after which orders will start being fulfilled by November 9th. After your order is placed, you will receive a order notification that the order status has changed to "Awaiting Shipment" pending the end of the Group Buy purchase."

#39 ·
I'm talking with the service center in Costa Mesa now and they talked with someone and came back saying any modification to the power will void the limited and extended warranties, but recommended taking the model 3 into the service center and showing them exactly what I'd plan on doing to be sure. I'm thinking of ordering the blackvue external battery now since they said using the cigarette lighter would be fine.

#41 ·
I'm talking with the service center in Costa Mesa now and they talked with someone and came back saying any modification to the power will void the limited and extended warranties, but recommended taking the model 3 into the service center and showing them exactly what I'd plan on doing to be sure. I'm thinking of ordering the blackvue external battery now since they said using the cigarette lighter would be fine.
I thought they couldn't do that under warranty laws. I think all they legally can do is not replace whatever the install damaged but they have to prove that whatever you added caused the damage. I can see them wanting you to pay for a replacement battery or the wire you might damage but they cannot void the entire warranty.

Reactions: plasmo and garsh
#45 ·
so, mine arrived today after a delay from UPS having it stuck in Oregon. I ordered the 750S 1 ch and the Power Magic Pro so I could hardwire it but I didn't realize that it wasn't just some wires for hardwiring it with an adapter on the other end to plug into the Camera. Anyone have any suggestions on how to hardwire this to the 12V constant in the lights by the rearview mirror? Thanks.

#46 ·
There are hardwiring instructions floating around this or the other forum, but unfortunately, I'm still waiting for someone to make a nice video tutorial on how to connect / tap the wires to the dome lights to get constant power. The wires are very thin and would like to see one before doing one.

#49 ·
I am at the Dashcam store today! I came to pick up my cameras and they are going to do some investigation with my car today to help the community out. I am not sure what exactly will come out of it but it should be interesting. Anyway when I leave I'll have a 2ch Dashcam installed from the group buy.

I will say the guys here are great guys and the place is nice! I would definitely purchase from them again in the future.

#51 ·
I am at the Dashcam store today! I came to pick up my cameras and they are going to do some investigation with my car today to help the community out. I am not sure what exactly will come out of it but it should be interesting. Anyway when I leave I'll have a 2ch Dashcam installed from the group buy.

I will say the guys here are great guys and the place is nice! I would definitely purchase from them again in the future.
Ok so The DashCam Store installed my BlackVue. For open disclosure they installed mine for free since they want to determine if the new power source in the car will work in the long term. They tested my car's voltage in various states and the constant wire in the overhead panel (where the hazards are) will lower down to 9.35V when the car is asleep. According to the installer this is ok with a BlackVue since it will function all the way down below 7V of power.

I have had my camera on since Friday and it appears to be working well. There is some wonkiness with it connecting to my home wifi for cloud functionality. It wont' connect when we come in range it only seems to connect after it has been rebooted. Has anyone had better results with the cloud thing? I am still thinking the cloud feature is a bit of a gimmick but I need to play with it more. As far as the install it is very good. I am impressed with the quality of the install and the guys at The DashCam store. They are great and I would highly recommend them for installs if you are in the Austin area. They genuinely care about their customers as far as I can tell.

I'll keep everyone up to date. If my car has no issues then the Dashcam store will be posting recommendations/tutorials on how to install to a Model 3 based on my car but they don't want to recommend this solution until I have had no issues for awhile. They just want to make sure that everything works as expected before making the recommendation.

For testing sake I have left my car unplugged since Friday and it had no issues the entire weekend. It is plugged back in this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.