Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

What features will the Model Y have at the time of the reveal? Place your bets.

• Panoramic Windshield, ala Model X

Votes: 36 41.9%
  • Falcon Wing second row doors, ala Model X

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hatchback, ala Model S and X

Votes: 72 83.7%
  • 3rd Row, forward facing, ala Model X

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • 3rd row, rear-facing, ala Model S Classic

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • 2nd row captains' seating ala Model X

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Window below spoiler ala Hyundai Veloster, Pontiac Aztec, for visibility

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Taller than the Model 3

Votes: 86 100.0%
  • Longer than the Model 3

Votes: 53 61.6%
  • Wider than the Model 3

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Virtual side mirrors

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Removable side mirrors

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • "Something extra" - Configure at reveal

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • "Something extra" - Tesla Pickup reveal

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • "Something extra" - Tesla Semi update

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • "Something extra" - Model S/X interior refresh reveal

Votes: 31 36.0%
  • 12V Lead acid battery delete

Votes: 13 15.1%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Model 3 on steroids. Identical styling inside. Maybe a boost of tech here or there. Knowing Elon said 90% the same, it won’t do much more than a model 3 than be a different shape.

My guess, of course.

It will come with HW3, but few differentiating features from the 3. It may have some song and dance features that are all based on software, but probably still have a 12V battery (90% chance it will).

It will not have a crazy-long windshield, falcon wing doors, a HUD, no third row. Nothing like the X except the similar body style.

My guess, of course.

· Registered
192 Posts
Why do you think it won't have the panoramic windshield? Keep the parts similarity percentage higher?
No. Purely for cost reasons. I don't believe the Y will be a poor man's X, but rather a family man's 3. Well... starter family. Whatever.

I don't expect it to have the same windshield as a 3, but it's theoretically possible.

My guess, of course.

· Registered
4,284 Posts
My two predictions are not listed in the voting above:

1. Shipping in "first quarter" 2020.

2. Standard Autopilot with plus/premium package. In fact I think all 2020 models with a premium/plus will come with AP standard.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
34.8% think the Y will be wider?! So much for the wisdom of large groups. One of you guys who voted for that needs to explain the rationale.

My rationale for why it won’t — it’d require a new battery pack and chassis, which they obviously won’t do since Musk is on record, recently, that it has 70% parts similarity with the 3.

· Registered
93 Posts
34.8% think the Y will be wider?! So much for the wisdom of large groups. One of you guys who voted for that needs to explain the rationale.

My rationale for why it won't - it'd require a new battery pack and chassis, which they obviously won't do since Musk is on record, recently, that it has 70% parts similarity with the 3.
Width of Model S = 1964 mm, Model X = 2070 mm with the same battery pack. I think a little wider (but not the 106 mm difference of the S and X) at the belt line may help with proportions since the Y will be taller.

· Registered
231 Posts
I'm with you in your #1, but not #2. You can buy every model they sell sans AP. Why should the Y be any different?
Because by the time the Y is out, the tax credit will be gone and they can no longer pass that savings along to consumers in lower car prices. Since there is zero cost to Tesla to enable basic EAP on a car that has the full hardware suite, they can justify higher prices by giving this to everyone. Their differentiator will the FSD features which will be the $5k add on. I'm not sure they'll do this, but I could see the logic.

Reactions: GDN

· Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Fun thread, but I'm not going to read any other posts, just the options at the top. Will be just a few inches longer than the 3. Will have a rear hatch of some sort. No way will it have falcon wing doors. Will be about 6 to 8 inches taller than the 3. Same battery, projected range about 290. AWD only. Standard bench second seat, captain chair upgrades. and optional 3rd row. Dash and seats will be identical, maybe add a grab handle or two. It will be built at GF1 in Reno. They will be rolling off the line by 12/31/2019. There will be less than 50K preorders over the months, if they are accepted. Base price will be $42K. Glass roof will remain.

· Newbie No More!
313 Posts
In his (very positive) Model Y video, Ben Sullins describes a power hatch in the rear. His is the only mention I've seen of anything but a manual lift. Anyone able to definitively confirm or dispute his claim?

· Super Moderator
17,724 Posts
In his (very positive) Model Y video, Ben Sullins describes a power hatch in the rear. His is the only mention I've seen of anything but a manual lift. Anyone able to definitively confirm or dispute his claim?
I never saw them open the rear hatch, unfortunately. And I've checked Tesla's website - no mention of the hatch being power. I'm not sure where Ben got his information, but hopefully he's correct. Maybe he asked the driver during his test ride?

· Newbie No More!
313 Posts
Trev appears to have confirmed the option for a power hatch in the video released today. He says it's part of a premium package, but I don't know if that's the package we get by virtue of the fact that we're buying the loaded model at launch or if this is something over and above what we've already seen. Trev?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.