Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 365 Posts

· Registered
997 Posts
Just saw the tweets was really excited until I saw the follow up tweets. Less range could be a deal killer for me 😕

Reactions: autoX

· Registered
709 Posts
Yeah I agree there. I just don't know if they will want the same backlash from "shorts" if they delay production plans.
I bet Model Y will not have the same delays. Tesla has learned a lot

· Registered
3 Posts
Do we think it will practically be a Model 3 but just "swollen"? I'm curious if that makes it easier to get to release version production.

I'm very happy with my Model 3 though. Even though the Model Y will only cost 10% more and be 10% larger, the shorter range and "likely" lack of any tax credit will make me just a spectator this time but I'm still excited as the Model Y reservations could give them good cash flow and just better the brand overall.

· Registered
328 Posts
Do we think it will practically be a Model 3 but just "swollen"? I'm curious if that makes it easier to get to release version production.

I'm very happy with my Model 3 though. Even though the Model Y will only cost 10% more and be 10% larger, the shorter range and "likely" lack of any tax credit will make me just a spectator this time but I'm still excited as the Model Y reservations could give them good cash flow and just better the brand overall.
I'm thinking it's going to be a hybrid of the 3 and X. More like the 3 as you said "swollen" due to it using many of the same parts/frame. It will be interesting to see how 10% bigger equates to cabin room and storage. I love my 3, but with 2 small kids I could use the room. If its everything I'm hoping it will be, I will be reserving and looking to sell the 3 when it's time.

· Premium Member
74 Posts
Elon just said the car will cost 10% more as its 10% bigger than M3 and will have slightly less range than model 3
Elon said "...and have slightly less range for the same battery"... which (to me) is slightly different from saying will simply have less range because the "Y" could all have slightly bigger batteries or have option for slightly increased battery. To me this was expected. Anyways, minor clarification and like everyone (most) here am super excited about this. Saving my pennies.

Product Organism Font Rectangle Screenshot

Reactions: webdriverguy

· Registered
523 Posts
I have to say, as a day 5 reservation holder for the M3 and having recently gotten a bit chuffed at the whole EAP/FSD pricing thing, I really do wonder if there would be any actual benefit to plunking down for a reservation. It really didn’t buy me any advantage at all, as ordering opened up to pretty much anybody when it opened for me. I’m definitely interested in what the Y will bring to the table, but the thought of plunking down $1000 again as an interest free loan, only to wind up paying a higher price before they continually drop the price to increase sales doesn’t seem like a wise idea. Granted, this time around there wont likely be any tax credit considerations this time around, maybe it wont be quite the same.

Before last week, I know that I was really expecting to put in a reservation, even though I’m not likely to be in the market for a new vehicle in 12-24 months, but my thought process is a little different now.

All that said, I really do hope it’s as much of a killer vehicle as the M3 has been.

· Registered
760 Posts
I'm going to reserve one, even if I never order one. It's my vote of confidence in the company. I am so delighted with my 3, that I would almost buy anything Tesla builds.

· Registered
155 Posts
Just saw the tweets was really excited until I saw the follow up tweets. Less range could be a deal killer for me 😕
This has been an ongoing debate in other threads for a few weeks. If the Model Y has the same battery pack options, then it would make sense that it will get slightly less range than the Model 3, just like the X does vs the S. But at only a 10% body size difference, I don't think the variation will be as drastic. My best guess would be Base 200mi, Long Range 300mi. I can live with that, especially considering the Supercharger V3 rollout news today.

· Registered
709 Posts
This has been an ongoing debate in other threads for a few weeks. If the Model Y has the same battery pack options, then it would make sense that it will get slightly less range than the Model 3, just like the X does vs the S. But at only a 10% body size difference, I don't think the variation will be as drastic. My best guess would be Base 200mi, Long Range 300mi. I can live with that, especially considering the Supercharger V3 rollout news today.
My guess would be they will offer Model 3 MR as base model for Y. M3 MR is 264miles so Y will be about ~250 miles (just a guess) and long range will be ~310m again a guess and performance model ~300 miles

Reactions: C.Ross
1 - 20 of 365 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.