Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
321 - 340 of 365 Posts

· Registered
997 Posts
Bunch of young millenials I work with found the Model 3 too small for their new families. You put a car seat in the back, there's not room for much more, not even sure 2 car seats would easily fit in a Model 3, anyone try? And a Model X is just too expensive for this crowd. So you want an electric vehicle for a young family, what's out there? Anyone compare interior space with the RAV4 or CR-V or other similar sorts of vehicles? I'd guess that several people around here are interested in the Y, simply because it's a Model 3 with more room in the back :)
Is there really more room in the back seat? I know there's more headroom, but I'm skeptical if the seat/legroom is larger. I get the feeling that it's identical to the model 3 with a little more headroom and either more storage or an optional third room in the back (for very small people). I was watching test drives last night in the model Y and it seemed like people in the second row were super cramped. I've never tried, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't fit two car seats in the back of a model 3. The bigger issue would be fitting two full size strollers in the trunk. :p

· Premium Member
402 Posts
I hope it is for production. All the photos of the configuration colors on the order page also have chrome delete which is not the same as it was for Model 3. They should include the dark sport wheels as an option which is a disappointment.
Well, the configurator has all the trim blacked out. I'm pretty sure that's how it's going to come. When the configurator was out for the Model 3, I believe it was chrome trim. They probably saw how many people like the blackout version. Most likey cheaper to make too!

One thing I was noticing, does it use most of the same parts from the M3? (Headlights, Tailights, Fog Lights, basically the whole console...) It looks very similar from the pictures.

· Registered
709 Posts
Well, the configurator has all the trim blacked out. I'm pretty sure that's how it's going to come. When the configurator was out for the Model 3, I believe it was chrome trim. They probably saw how many people like the blackout version. Most likey cheaper to make too!

One thing I was noticing, does it use most of the same parts from the M3? (Headlights, Tailights, Fog Lights, basically the whole console...) It looks very similar from the pictures.
One more thing I was thinking was if unplugged performance comes up with a aero mod kit for this car and if we can squeeze 20-25 more miles from this on AWD/P variant then it's almost perfect car.

In the paper that unplugged release they claiming 40-45 miles increase

· Super Moderator
17,726 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,726 Posts
Is there really more room in the back seat? I know there's more headroom, but I'm skeptical if the seat/legroom is larger.
Oh, it definitely is.

The seats and seating locations are identical to the Model 3. BUT the seats are mounted on risers to lift them up higher from the floor. That does WONDERS for legroom. I found the back seat of the Y to be much more comfortable than the back seat of a 3 as a result.

· Self-identified Teslaholic
3,184 Posts
How did the room react when it was rolled out, and when he said "thank you"?
The stage was above where we were standing, so unless you were in the first few rows or looking through someone's GoPro mount, you couldn't see much of the Y as it rolled out... Or at least where we were standing. So, the initial reaction form our quarters was a lot of struggling to get a better view, but from what I could tell it got a pretty loud ovation from those who could see it as it rolled out.

I assume the "thank you" you're referring to was at the end before he walked off? I must have missed it, but I thought we gave him a pretty good send-off.

You guys have me so curious... I'm definitely going to have to watch the webcast when I get home.

· Registered
345 Posts
Remember Toyota recently admitted to Model 3 taking their loyal Prius owners? If the Model 3 can convert Prius owners, you bet the Model Y will convert RAV4 owners. And the RAV4 (and CUV's in general) are a much bigger market than the sedans. So while some existing Tesla owners might be disappointed with the lack of differences between Model 3 & Y, keep in mind Tesla's goal is to reach out to ICE drivers. For that the Model Y is the perfect electric vehicle for many gasoline car drivers to convert to.
The Model 3 took this Prius owner. :D My two main pain points in the Model 3 are:
  • Sedan -- makes it hard to access the storage it already has.
  • Getting in and out -- I want less bending down to get in, and a higher driving position
Model Y looks like exactly what I want. Now is the first time I feel sad that I bought a Model 3... and I'm thinking about how to manage buying a Model Y in a year and a half. (That $2500 rebate check from MOR-EV will cover the deposit, right?)

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Something we strangely did not see last night:

What do you do with a product that sells itself and would cannibalize the sales of your other models? You downplay it.

Compare last night's show to Tesla's past model introductions. There is no flashiness about the presentation, no introduction from JB, Franz or other members of the design team, no Blankenship to sweeten up the dialogue, no props, actors or flashy pyrotechnics. It's so damn different from other automakers' car shows, even Tesla's own.

Instead, you bring out the nerdy, awkward, messy-haired CEO speaking in choppy, seemingly unrehearsed impromptu. He spends the majority of the time speaking about the other car models and history of the company, and only about six minutes for the new entrant itself.

An awesome 25 second video of a gorgeous, shiny Deep Blue Metallic Model Y, strangely enough, is given zero time in a 30+ minute presentation.

And once the car finally rolls in, all the lights are oddly dim, no turntable to seduce us with the Y's Porsche-like curves, and video footage is positioned in such a way that it highlights the least flattering angles of the car or make it seem virtually indistinguishable from the Model 3.

Watching last night's presentation was like watching the Matrix. The first time through was a total head scratcher. The second and third time through, I finally got it and saw the magic and awesomeness behind the I-just-don't-get-it layer:

The Model Y is the more perfect version of the Model 3! :eek:

Tesla's anti-selling presentation strategy worked. It was purposefully done, brilliantly executed, and was the quintessential opposite of the flashy new car smoke-and-mirrors show. As a Tesla fanboy, I was a totally duped because for years I had overly hyped anticipation of that mystery half-and-half Frankenstein clay model under a black sheet that was supposed to have falcon wing doors like the X, include spaceship controls, be this legendary automotive disruptor, and yet be more affordable to the masses... If the Model 3 were Princess Leia, the Model Y would be her twin brother Luke Skywalker, the chosen one who would bring balance to the Force in the Auto Industry. The automotive disruptor of disruptors deserved a most impressive introduction!

Imagine if Tesla had introduced the Y in the same fashion as they had presented the Next Gen Roadster. Imagine if the Y were revealed only months instead of years after the 3. IMHO there'd be a lot less disappointment and criticism within this forum.

My expectations for the Model Y unveiling had been very high, like most of us here, and indeed the presentation was a huge letdown. But taking a closer look at the car itself, the Model Y is simply amazing. :cool:

Today I have decided... My future Loni Sparks shall be a Model Y!

10,954 Posts
Here are my impressions —

Overall I was disappointed but I get it at the same time. If the Model 3 didn’t exist, I would think the Model Y was incredible. Like I said I get it, the parts sharing between the 2 vehicles allows them to rollout the Model Y without as much difficulty.

However seeing a brand new car with the same wheels, same lights front and back, same interior — all was a bit disappointing.

As for the presentation, I also found that to be a bit disappointing. I really liked the review of Tesla history, but felt they could have spent more time on Model Y. The car should have been on a spinning table and the lighting better.

I have no doubt they will sell a ton of them though and I am happy that they’re entering the most popular car segment in the market today!

· Registered
186 Posts
The two main disappointments about the presentation for me were

1) the live stream was garbage. It was on a delay compared to some of the youtubers live streaming it plus the audio was garbage. When they rolled out the Y it was silent. I couldn’t hear any applause and it just felt odd and lack luster

2) the time till production. Fall 2020 is a long time away and realistically it won’t be on the streets till 2021. These announcements should only happen if production is within 6 months to capitalize on the hype.

I guess their delays did work since I just ordered a model 3 until the Y is available. But the facts remain the same.

· Registered
3,375 Posts
Not sure it's for production, but they did delete the chrome on the proto:

View attachment 23318
I'm glad to see the lessons learned (from stone chips on body colored sheet metal rocker panels on Model 3's in the snow belt areas) being applied to Model Y.

I hope this render is accurate in showing (probable) black polyurethane body trim covering the rockers between the two wheel well openings.

G

·
I had falsely predicted that the pick up truck would be revealed at the same event to surprise everyone. The Y reveal is yesterday's news that left many (including the sp) underwhelmed. However, after studying the now many available Y pics from every angle, I do believe Franz NAILED IT! The car matters far more than the presentation IMO.

· President - Tesla Owners Quad Cities
2,147 Posts
I'm glad to see the lessons learned (from stone chips on body colored sheet metal rocker panels on Model 3's in the snow belt areas) being applied to Model Y.

I hope this render is accurate in showing (probable) black polyurethane body trim covering the rockers between the two wheel well openings.
I'm also hoping they've learned their lesson with the center console. Hopefully it's not the finger print magnet piano black. From the configurator, it kind of looks the same, but also kind of gives me the illusion it's not as shiny/reflective. Maybe someone who went to the event can chime in?

For comparison, Model Y:
Car Photograph Vehicle Automotive design Screenshot

And Model 3:
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Photograph Light

· President - Tesla Owners Quad Cities
2,147 Posts
I had falsely predicted that the pick up truck would be revealed at the same event to surprise everyone. The Y reveal is yesterday's news that left many (including the sp) underwhelmed. However, after studying the now many available Y pics from every angle, I do believe Franz NAILED IT! The car matters far more than the presentation IMO.
There's a thread on TMC I check out daily as the poster, Papafox, always has good insight into the days TSLA stock movements. In his post from yesterday, he had an excellent/interesting take on the event that I feel worth sharing. Follow the link above for the thread, however here is the specific excerpt that I found insightful and thought provoking.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

· Registered
3,375 Posts
I'm also hoping they've learned their lesson with the center console. Hopefully it's not the finger print magnet piano black. From the configurator, it kind of looks the same, but also kind of gives me the illusion it's not as shiny/reflective. Maybe someone who went to the event can chime in?

For comparison, Model Y:
View attachment 23388

And Model 3: View attachment 23389
Good catch on the console, I believe you are correct, it does have a satin look to it.

· Registered
21 Posts
Mine (or rather my wife's) is ordered! Blue/Black PYD7+ EAP FSD.

Does anybody have a picture of the hatch open and the third row?
Tesla seems to have missed an opportunity to add some sizzle with the "Y". No mention of trailer hitch, Y or N? Could have designed a roof rack for bikes, etc. on the Y . . . would have made it much more desirable as an SUV, regardless of the price add-on. No mention of suspension . . . could have done something crazy with an option for ride height/underclearance like on the X. Just seems like its too much like the 3 and not enough of a difference to really call it an SUV. Could also have done a powered Trunk and Frunk . . . even if done as options for additional money . . . features that would set it apart from the 3 and other SUVs. Could have thought about this car in terms of tailgating at sports events and travel to vacation spots and included more features for power outlets in the Trunk and Frunk and partnered with someone to provide options of for items mentioned above as well as exterior lighting, beverage coolers, food warmers, etc. Sorry that they missed the chance to jazz the Y up a bit.
DAErik's video answers some of these questions. Near the beginning he clearly shows the back row seats and at the end after he gets out you can see the rear bumper (black part) has a cutout where a tow hitch can be added. I also heard in one of the test drive videos that there will not be air suspension but that may or may not be true. I'm also sure there will be the same roof rack system like the Model 3 has. But your main point is true. They should have mentioned all of these details at the reveal. Maybe they are still up for debate so they didn't want to commit to them at this point.

· Registered
314 Posts

For comparison, Model Y:
View attachment 23388

And Model 3: View attachment 23389
I don't think they did learn there lesson. I think that is the same gloss piano black.

link above fo
I agree, the presentation was all over the place and pretty lackluster. I don't know that they really consciously were anti-selling the Y though. First off Elon wasn't shy about saying they were anti-selling the Model 3 at this stage in it's history, and I don't think we have seen any mention of that now. (Although, maybe that backfired last time and made people want the 3 more when he said he was trying not to sell it).

I think part of the problem was the live stream and that they just kind of fell flat on pointing out the presentation things. I do think Elon (or Franz) Could have hyped up the Y more before it came out. Like other's have said, sell the idea. Throw out that they had an amazing design challenge to reuse much of the Model 3 parts and DNA. 'You'll notice this in it's appearance...blah, blah, blah," Sell the hype of the past design story, originally they had planned to build on the same platform as the 3 and share parts, but then Elon got on his kick that it will be designed from the ground up, but that wasn't what the car should be about and people talked him back to his senses... you know, those are great stories that show how it landed where it was.

Someone was thinking, hey, let's show the 3rd row, put more people in there, and you could see they let the people out of the back seat, Elon should have been commentating and counting and pointing that out. I'm pretty sure they only had 2 in the 2nd row, and the 2 shorter girls were in the 3rd row as a person on each side was working with the second row seat to let them out. But hell only some of us even noticed that as it was dead silent during that time.

I agree, they should have had a turn table or more than one on stage to show off. Heck, were was the camera guy on stage getting the closeup views like at the Model 3 event? I'm still bummed no one got in there and showed off the 3rd row, as well as the rear hatch. I mean yes, we all know there is a hatch, but no one has even seen it in action. By the by, I would give it 99.99% there is no power hatch (no cost spent as well as differentiating from higher end cars). I know it is silly though, because competing vehicles have them.

Also, in past live streams they always cut to an interjected the slides into the stream. That barely happened this time. So someone above said it's usually that Elon goes off the nice slides, but didn't this time. That wasn't really accurate, the slides were there, they just never cut to them, and you could barely see the stage screen in the livestream. I didn't see if they actually played that video at the livestream when they brought out the Y, and now that they have doctored the video with the video of the Y at that point, you don't get to see that part of the livestream anymore. Correction, after the video, you can still see the screen, and they didn't get to see the video live either.

In the end, I think all of us agree, they need to get a PR / Marketing manager back on board to save Tesla from themselves.

· Registered
314 Posts
OK, all that stuff said above about the presentation, after I did get a chance to look at the car more and the features, I would say, it would be a hard choice for me between a Model 3 and a Model y if I didn't already have a Model 3. That said there isn't enough there to trade out my Model 3 for at all. I had hoped that this might be a little different and bigger than it is as we have a minivan now and I thought this might have been something for the wife to be able to use instead, but that's out the window. It just isn't enough.

The one negative for me with the Model Y is the pudgier proportions just aren't as attractive on the exterior for me. I've always been a car guy and never liked SUVs. That said though, this is really minimal in the SUV department looks, I find it silly they are saying it's an SUV. I don't think it quite comes in, in that category. Crossover is also kind of pushing it. It really is just a bigger car. I wonder if the Bolt is still taller than the Model Y, and it isn't looked at like a crossover or SUV. A lot of the youtuber ride videos I saw of the Model Y driving around really gave a better perception of the looks of it, and it did look really good in action, even if a little bulkier.

What I really do like though, that would have made it a difficult decision for me between the 2 though, is the hatchback and the panoramic roof. You just don't get the bang for the buck with the larger rear glass of the Model 3. All you see is those cross-members sitting in the back seat. They definitely learned from that faux pas. It was a lot of work & cost for very little experience on the Model 3.

· Super Moderator
17,726 Posts
1) the live stream was garbage. It was on a delay compared to some of the youtubers live streaming it plus the audio was garbage. When they rolled out the Y it was silent. I couldn't hear any applause and it just felt odd and lack luster
I just watched the livestream now (I had attended the presentation in person). Wow, they really cut out almost all of the crowd noise. Even the music is barely audible in the recording. In person, the crowd was quite loud, and the music was deafening. I actually found it difficult to hear Elon at times. So, it's great that you can hear everything that Elon said during the livestream, but cutting out that much of the crowd noise does make the whole presentation feel like it fell flat. It really didn't in person. It was quite a loud affair.

I agree, the presentation was all over the place and pretty lackluster.
Actually, that seems pretty typical for a Tesla presentation. A review of the history and why they're proceeding as they are.
I don't know that they really consciously were anti-selling the Y though. First off Elon wasn't shy about saying they were anti-selling the Model 3 at this stage in it's history
Elon (and Tesla) didn't start anti-selling the 3 until after the Model 3 unveiling. Go watch it again. He was presenting the Model 3 as the greatest thing ever. Then all of the reservations started rolling in, and he realized his mistake. He quickly started tweeting about how the S and X would remain the halo cars and get all the new features first, etc.

Elon made sure not to make the same mistake with the Model Y. He has described it on twitter as being a stretched Model 3, using 75% of the same parts. It looks almost indistinguishable from a 3. He made sure to state that it will be the best mid-size SUV on the market, but did not talk about any new features compared to other Tesla vehicles. This was an under-selling job. It's mostly a Model 3 with higher profit margins. This shouldn't cost Tesla much more money to make than an equivalent Model 3, but it will have a 10% premium in price. This is going to be Tesla's huge money-maker two years from now. And once they're actually making them, Tesla will be happy to have the Y cannibalize other Tesla sales. But in the meantime, they have to walk that fine line of taking away more ipace and etron sales than Model 3 and X sales. Hopefully he did a good job of that.

321 - 340 of 365 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.