· Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
3,099 Posts
I use the audible sensors. I hear scraping/thuds, I stop 😂

· Super Moderator
4,871 Posts

· Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Amazing how people were able to to drive for over a 100 years without the function
In those days cars had real bumpers not decorative ones and could bare a little touching without damages. People used all sort of systems to gauge distances when parking indoor and out. Ultrasonic sensors make this job a lot easier.

· Super Moderator
17,748 Posts
In those days cars had real bumpers not decorative ones and could bare a little touching without damages.
Many cars of the 80s and 90s had body-colored bumpers and no ultrasonics.

Yet I managed to survive without ever having damaged or even touching any of those bumpers. We just practiced parking and learned how big our cars were.

· Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Many cars of the 80s and 90s had body-colored bumpers and no ultrasonics.

Yet I managed to survive without ever having damaged or even touching any of those bumpers. We just practiced parking and learned how big our cars were.

Ok grampa 😆

So you never had a friend helping you with parallel parking in tight spots?

I have a friend who installed a dangling rope in his indoor garage to help measure forward distance.

I once punched a hole in a rear light assembly because I failed to see the hydran sticking out when backing in a parking spot.

Let's agree that these uss are nice to have even if they may not be essential.

· Super Moderator
17,748 Posts
I have a friend who installed a dangling rope in his indoor garage to help measure forward distance.
For the garage, we'd hang a tennis ball from the ceiling using string. When your windshield touches it, you've pulled in far enough to clear the door.

· Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
3,099 Posts
Amazing how people were able to to drive for over a 100 years without the function
They also weren't charging $50k+ either 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
33 Posts
For the garage, we'd hang a tennis ball from the ceiling using string. When your windshield touches it, you've pulled in far enough to clear the door.
I've never understood the need for the tennis ball. Can't you just turn your head left or right and judge how far you're in by some wall feature? It's not precise to an inch, but it should be good enough if you have a foot or two to spare.

· Super Moderator
17,748 Posts
I've never understood the need for the tennis ball. Can't you just turn your head left or right and judge how far you're in by some wall feature? It's not precise to an inch, but it should be good enough if you have a foot or two to spare.
So then, what's your opinion on ultrasonic sensors? :D

· Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
3,099 Posts
Many of them were much more, adjusted for inflation.
My 2009 Dodge Caravan had parking sensors and cost ~$30k. Adjusted for inflation it was ~$40k… in a minivan, so much for being “high tech” 🤦‍♂️

· Registered
2,163 Posts
My 2009 Dodge Caravan had parking sensors and cost ~$30k. Adjusted for inflation it was ~$40k… in a minivan, so much for being “high tech” 🤦‍♂️
So what? Did I say that you shouldn't have the sensors? No, all I said that this is much ado about something pretty small that is going to be resolved in the future.

The software is anticipated to be updated to effectively re-enable the capabilities. Just chill and wait, complaining ain't going to make it any faster.

It's amazing all the people that want the car to be completely complete for which everyone knows that it isn't. It's actually BIG feature that the car does remote updates to continually add features to the car. Sure, sometimes, you may lose a couple, but like any software product, you expect it to change.

Don't like it, time to get rid of your car, as a Tesla is definitely not where you need to be.

· Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
3,099 Posts
So what? Did I say that you shouldn't have the sensors? No, all I said that this is much ado about something pretty small that is going to be resolved in the future.

The software is anticipated to be updated to effectively re-enable the capabilities. Just chill and wait, complaining ain't going to make it any faster.

It's amazing all the people that want the car to be completely complete for which everyone knows that it isn't. It's actually BIG feature that the car does remote updates to continually add features to the car. Sure, sometimes, you may lose a couple, but like any software product, you expect it to change.

Don't like it, time to get rid of your car, as a Tesla is definitely not where you need to be.
Yeah, soon. Like I was told about FSD … FOUR YEARS AGO!

So you think it’s ok to sell a $50k “incomplete” car!?

Reactions: iChris93

· Premium Member
1,407 Posts

You're very forgiving and patient.

But the whole schtick "trust us it's coming" is getting old and we are growing impatient.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts