Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a new model 3. We have test driven a couple times and like everything except the front seat headrests push my wife’s head too far forward.
The headrest does not appear to be removable, have anyone found a way to adjust it or take the seat apart and remove some padding? We really like the car but this is a potential dealbreaker as she has a fused neck and can’t sit in the seat for more than a few minutes.

· TOO Founder
5,665 Posts
Yes, you can reverse the headrests. Push down on each side of headrest to expose the rods and push the fabric down more and you should see a clip. Pry it out and repeat for the other side. Be aware that the headrest also holds the plastic seat cover in place.

More info here:

· Super Moderator
17,757 Posts
All new cars have this issue.

Starting in September 2009, car manufacturers started complying with a new federal law that required head restraints to be no more than 2.2″ from the back of a passenger's head. Unfortunately, it seems that the passengers they used to determine this correct distance have horrible posture, and tend to slouch forward in their seats.
I've reversed my headrest to solve this.

· re member
888 Posts
While I agree that the headrests can seem a bit uncomfortable when first experienced, I understand that they were engineered under more modern standards intended to better protect us from injury than past versions of what are intended to be fundamental parts of the passive restraint system rather than just rests for our heads. It took some effort but, through seat and posture adjustments, I've gotten to the point where I always sit with my head touching the headrest (sometimes still feels like a bit of a contortion if I haven't driven for a few days).

Even though it feels less like the kind of neck support I'm used to from older cars, it certainly seems like it would provide more protection in case of a crash. Having recently watched some NASCAR and noticed how immobilized their heads are these days (watch the umbilical shift around during turns while their helmets/heads stay locked), I kind of get the point but do wish it had come with a little bit of adjustability for individual body types.

Hope you find the sweet spot!

· Registered
4,299 Posts
Thanks for the input. How hard is it to flip or remove? I wonder if we could test it on the demo car.
Watching the video in post #2 above should give an idea. You'd probably have better luck trying it on a friends car that a demo. Maybe @garsh would come to Seattle to let you try it out. He's a nice guy!! :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
1,896 Posts
@garsh, I remember shortly after you got your car that you posted about a modification you made to the headrest, but I'm thinking it wasn't this turn it around trick. So I did a search on your posts about "headrests" and there are a lot!! I didn't take time to review them all, but it seems you have tried a few different things over the years. Can I presume that this turning it around is your preferred solution?

· Registered
4,299 Posts
@garsh, I remember shortly after you got your car that you posted about a modification you made to the headrest, but I'm thinking it wasn't this turn it around trick. So I did a search on your posts about "headrests" and there are a lot!! I didn't take time to review them all, but it seems you have tried a few different things over the years. Can I presume that this turning it around is your preferred solution?
Yeah, I remember somebody bending the headrest posts to change the comfort. Was that @garsh?

And, by the way, Garsh is much better looking in person!

· Super Moderator
17,757 Posts
First, I tried bending the headrest posts to make it more upright and not leaning forward as much. That helped, but my head hits more towards the bottom of the headrest, and bending the posts doesn't change things much towards the bottom.

So then I just re-installed the headrest backwards. So I've got a combination of a headrest bent to be more vertical as well as installing it backwards.

I think the thread that TrevP linked above has most of my history with the headrests. I haven't been happy with factory headrest distances since that 2009 law was passed.

· Super Moderator
17,757 Posts
Thanks for the input. How hard is it to flip or remove? I wonder if we could test it on the demo car.
It's not difficult at all. The only real trick is finding the little "catch" that keeps the headrest post from being pulled out. Once you find that and push it out of the way, it will slide right out. You do have to lean the seatback back in order to avoid hitting the roof when you try to take it out.

I really should make a video showing the mechanism to unlatch it.
It's actually REALLY easy once you know what you're looking for.

On the driver's seat, push down on the seat back material around the left post. When you get it low enough, you should see a little notch in that post on the outer (left) side (IIRC). There's a little piece of metal hinged below there and assisted by a spring that fits into that notch. Just use a screwdriver to push it out of that notch, and the whole headrest will then lift out.

Here's the video I used to figure it out, but it's not really great at showing the notch or latch. That notch was pretty deep down in there for me.

· Registered
4,299 Posts
I suppose I should mention, for benefit of the OP, I have also had surgical fusion. And I'm not saying this will solve your issue, but I use a neck cushion that is designed to velcro around the base of the headrest. This has worked great for me for almost 90k miles; with the added benefit that my surgeon suggested that I lie on a neck pillow for at least 1 hour per day. I get that done while driving!

10,954 Posts
Do I have horrible posture? I have never had my head touch a headrest in a car🤦🏻‍♂️

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.