Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a warning that my tire pressure was low on a tire in my 2021 Y.
I was able to see a nail head, so ok, I need a patch.
I filled the tire with air and was fortunate enough that the tire held air.

When I brought the Tesla to my local guy that works on all of my cars,
he said he could not patch the tire because the tire had a lining specific to Teslas.
This lining would not allow him to patch the tire the way he normally would.
He stated that he tried once, and after two hours gave up.

I called AAA. They stated that they would not work on a Tesla tire.

I called the Tesla 877 service number, and they told me that
most mobile service guys did not have the tools needed to fix the tire.
And the mobile guys that could fix the tire were booked for weeks.

I called the Tesla Service Center that is 13 miles from my house in NJ ( but a 45 minute drive !).
The guy there told me to come on in, so I did.
Turns out I had a nail in TWO tires.
The cost to fix EACH tire was $121.

wow... that is twice as much as I expected. Love the car, but not these prices to fix a flat...

·
Registered
2022 Tesla "Y"
125 Posts
I hate the GoodYear ( Good for a Year ) run flat tires. Since these only last a year I will be putting on Michelins next year. The GoodYears are more than half worn already anyways with 500 threadwear number..

·
Registered
894 Posts
So I bought a good tire plugging kit on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MR5FX8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$15
And a Milwaukee M12 compressor b/c I have a lot of M12 tools.
I also carry pliers and side cutters.
I carry those in both cars as they do not come with spare tires. Today, I used the pliers to pull the nail out of wife's tire and plugged it. Took about 30 min. I have never had a plug leak. Lasts the life of the tire.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I worked for Goodyear for many years and we never had to do anything different to repair run flats. Unless there's a new technology they are using (I have been gone for 8 years from there) that I don't know about.

Can you tell me the model and size of the tire on your car? I can check with my former service manager who still works there.

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
re member
849 Posts
Just an FYI, AFAIK, the "Tesla" tire isn't specific to Tesla, other cars use them as well.
It's not a Tesla issue, a a new tire technology issue
This.

Plus, despite the dire warnings, plugs are common and usually last (longer than we should let them). As for patching, all a good tire place has to do is cut the foam, place the patch, and, if they’re really nice, glue the foam back down over the patch. Without the cut out foam, might feel a bit out of balance and/or sound different but the foam really doesn’t make that much of a difference.

Now, if you’ve got Tesla run-flats, I didn’t know they used any but that would obviously be a horse of a different color.

Reactions: android04

·
Registered
2022 Tesla "Y"
125 Posts
Wasn't implying that the screw plug was a permanent fix. It just gets you out of a bind and to à tire repair shop. But I have to admit I have 2 of these plugs in my tires now and they haven't fail. One is like 3 years old but not in the Tesla. In my Trax.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The "lining" that Tesla OEM tires have is not exclusive to Tesla, and is just a foam strip that is glued to the back of the tread surface. There is no problem in patching the tires, just need to cut off a piece of the the foam where the hole is. The problem you ran into is uninformed tire businesses, or ones that prefer to sell you a whole new tire. Tesla is expensive because they probably don't want to be fixing flat tires that can be done by any tire place instead of focusing on other Tesla-specific work.

See this video about patching tires with noise reduction technology

1 - 10 of 10 Posts