Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

NH service options

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  B_E_V 
#1 ·
This is my first post. I live in the Greater Nashua area. Hello everyone, and thanks in advance!

Where are NH Tesla owners going (or avoiding), for their service/repairs and why? Do they prefer Watertown, MA, or Peabody, MA when they must go to a Tesla service center? Do they get loaner vehicles? Do they use Tesla's mobile service? How do the costs and experiences compare? How is emergency service in Northern NH and Maine? Anything else you would suggest to a friend before the friend ordered a Tesla?

I expect my next vehicle to be a BEV. The purchase is not urgent, but my 12 year old ICE vehicle has entered that life stage where state inspection failures result in expensive repairs. Especially when expressed as a percentage of Blue Book value. So I will probably order a BEV within 5 to 500 days. On paper a Tesla MY LR seems like the best choice in most respects.

However, the closest Tesla Service Centers are Watertown, MA and Peabody, MA. I currently live just five miles from my ICE dealership, which means the wife only grumbles a little bit when we need to drop off/pick-up a car for service or repairs. However, Google indicates both Tesla service centers are more than a 50-minute non-rush-hour drive away. If dropping a car off at the service center is a two hour exercise of driving into Massachusetts, my wife is not going to be happy. Especially if it is my MY we are dropping off!

I don't know what non-Tesla shops service and repair Teslas. I did notice a shop I was using for ICE service explicitly offers a Tesla alignment, which excited me until I noticed the alignment price was $99 for most cars, but $199 for Teslas. I have read a tiny bit about Tesla's mobile service, but I assume that either explicitly or implicitly Tesla is charging a bit more for that convenience.

As much as the Tesla Supercharger network attracts me, the distant Service Centers repel me. I don't even look forward to driving that far for a Tesla test drive! I keep thinking if I wait till 2022 the Audi, Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, and Volkswagen dealers, all less than 10 miles from my home, are likely to offer BEV possibilities with local service. On the other hand, the MY LR appears to have almost everything I really want other than vehicle-to-load.

I appreciate your experience and wisdom.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not in NH, but my nearest service center is 55 minutes away. In 3 years and 80,000 miles, I have used the service center exactly once. That was last month for an oil pump service covered under warranty. Tesla paid for Uber both ways and would had paid for Uber while they serviced the car if I had needed it.

All my other service experience has been in my driveway. All under warranty except for a 12V battery replacement for $115. A similar battery at the auto parts store cost more than that. So in my experience, service has been all positive. Just don't get in a wreck. Body work is not performed by Tesla(yet) and can be an expensive nightmare.

#3 ·
First you have to realize that unlike most other cars, you don't spend several times a year in service. I went 2.5 years before I had any service done.
Peabody is definitely the easiest for you, but when you schedule it will direct you to mobile service first anyway. And mobile service is great and will do some things in your driveway or at your work. But more often than not, they quickly move it to a service center.
I's really nothing to worry about, especially in southern NH. Think of the poor folks muchfurther North.
Plus, you also have Electrified Garage in southern NH, so we are especially well covered for after warranty and aftermarket service as well.

#5 ·
I did notice a shop I was using for ICE service explicitly offers a Tesla alignment, which excited me until I noticed the alignment price was $99 for most cars, but $199 for Teslas.
Just FYI, I asked the shop about the difference in price today. I was told that unlike most existing cars, on a Tesla they need to remove lots of plastic (present to improve aerodynamics) before they can begin the actual alignment, hence the difference in price.

#6 ·
Hello, I'm in Pepperell, MA and we are practically neighbors. In 26 months I have had no Mobile services and I needed a "radar" replacement (warranty) and it was done in Dedham, MA which was 44miles and about 50 minutes. I did stop in Watertown once for a phone cable (it was missing on delivery) and found it to be a pretty small facility. Peabody is newer and is 46 miles. It may be closer for you. Surely, I am pleased as the car has been just about problem free; good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.