Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, who did this? Me, the idiot! Backed into my padded garage pole at 1 mph. I heard the alarms but it always does that whenever I pull in.

Spoke to two PDR guys and was quoted $350-$450, 2-4 hrs of work, IF they can access it with their tools. Also took it to a Tesla approved shop, $3400 through insurance, cash price $2500.

I found everyone through Yelp reviews, was wondering if anyone can recommend someone in the Long Island, NY area who might have experience working on Teslas, Model 3 preferred. I'd like to go the PDR route, obviously.

Needless to say, crushed. I appreciate any help, thanks!

Attachments

· Registered
348 Posts
There's some electronic stuff in the boot (aka trunk) in that corner that may need to be moved to get access from the inside.

Bummer. Reminds me of the time I brought home a new car and parked it in the garage the first time. Brought it in about 1/4" too short and the garage door hinges semi mangled the rear bumper cover - leaving two perfectly parallel scratches 1/4" deep in the rear cover. top to bottom. Never fixed that as a reminder to check placement first before closing door.

I would recommend uou try PDR first. I've seen some amazing work using PDR.

· Registered
4,302 Posts
It's worth a try with paintless, because these days the alternative would be an insurance claim and replacing that entire panel. The good PDR places will usually tell you right away if they can't do it, or if the results aren't going to look good, and if that's the case they'll usually either refuse to touch it or require a lot of convincing to try.

leaving two perfectly parallel scratches 1/4" deep in the rear cover. top to bottom. Never fixed that as a reminder to check placement first before closing door.
I moved the door close sensors for my opener (the ones at the bottom of the garage door) a little higher and inward so the bottom lip of either bumper will prevent the door from closing. All you need are the right brackets and screws. I think it's safer, too, because usually when someone gets hit with the door, they think they're clear of it, rather than standing right beneath.

· Premium Member
Tesla Model 3 Long Range 1st Production PUP EAP Deep Blue Metallic
5,042 Posts
So, who did this? Me, the idiot! Backed into my padded garage pole at 1 mph. I heard the alarms but it always does that whenever I pull in.

Spoke to two PDR guys and was quoted $350-$450, 2-4 hrs of work, IF they can access it with their tools. Also took it to a Tesla approved shop, $3400 through insurance, cash price $2500.

I found everyone through Yelp reviews, was wondering if anyone can recommend someone in the Long Island, NY area who might have experience working on Teslas, Model 3 preferred. I'd like to go the PDR route, obviously.

Needless to say, crushed. I appreciate any help, thanks!
That's such a nice large area without any creases that PDR should be very successful. In fact this might be one of those rare cases where the boiling water trick might work...worth a try!

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's such a nice large area without any creases that PDR should be very successful. In fact this might be one of those rare cases where the boiling water trick might work...worth a try!
Yes, I thought so at first too. Tried it with a plunger, no luck, then purchased a strong suction cup from Home Depot, nada. Was afraid to damage it more than it already was.

Now just looking for some recs of PDR places in my area.

· Premium Member
653 Posts
Well I got my Xmas present a day early. Someone opened their car door into front fender. Hopefully the paintless dent repair works ok for the model 3. We shall see. Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Premium Member
653 Posts
Pretty good luck. It's about 95% back to the way it was. But you've got to look pretty close to see any real problems.

Now if I could just get a paint touch up kit for MCR.... the small paint chip is right where the dent was. So that'll give you a good clue on where to look.
Tire Wheel Grille Car Automotive tire

Reactions: akomlik

· Registered
89 Posts
I backed into my lawnmower handle in my own garage. I got a rear quarter crease, but not as heavy as yours. PDR fixed that very well. He removed the taillight and his tool went through the bolt hole. He didn't have to remove anything else.

I put a striped tape line on the garage floor for myself as a guide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.