Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok for anyone out there with a Pre-July 19' Model 3 that wants Boombox this is how I got mine installed and activated.

I'm not responsible for damage you may cause installing this or Voided Warranty. Make sure your car is fully powered down before attempting this install (via 12v and high voltage disconnect)

There are some things you need to look for on your car also such as if you have the wires under the dash to connect to and if your car has the speaker grille under the right front of the lower splash guard. If you have these 2 things then you need a Tesla service tech to toggle the configuration change I found mobile service tech. was happy to do this for me thankfully, however your results may vary.

The parts needed to install this are:

Tesla Pedestrian Warning Speaker : # 1299965-00-A (I paid $55.00 from Tesla)

Screws to attach the Speaker :
# 1128091-00-B (x3)

Connector for Pedestrian Speaker : # PT3703 Pigtail (GM Part Number)

Enough wire to run from RF Kick Panel to Front Bumper Area

IMG_0087.jpeg

First you have to find the wires from the MCU that were supposed to power the speaker and easily located them under the
passenger side kick panel in a twisted pair going to a connector higher up under the dash

IMG_0088.jpeg

as you can see my harness was built February of 2019 putting it well below the cut off for native Boombox/speaker install per Tesla.

IMG_0084.jpeg

I installed Taps to splice the wires needed you can use any method you would like just be sure they are insulted from each other and can't short

IMG_0085.jpeg

The twisted gray and white wires are the wires for PWS my harness had these all the way up to a connector then stopped there.

Note : the white wire is positive and gray is negative

IMG_0086.jpeg

The black connector the wires stop at.

IMG_0098.jpeg
IMG_0099.jpeg
IMG_0095.jpeg

Once I had tapped the wires I carefully ran them through the rubber grommet and inside a wire loom on the passenger side with the rest of the harness and just followed the harness along the body and dropped it down to its destination (PWS Speaker)

IMG_0094.jpeg

Once you attach the connector the positive wire should be on the left of the connector with the label of the speaker facing up and looking at the back (wire side) of the connector with the clip facing up.

At this point you still will not have a working speaker or Boombox But you can do a soft reboot (hold scroll wheels) and the speaker will function for forward and reverse noises after the car boots (this lets you know your install was successful)

But the car will revert back to it not working after the car goes into a deep sleep. At this point you will need to get a service tech to make the change for you, I already had a mobile service appointment for other things so I just asked the tech when he came to enable it for me.

After showing the service technician (he just looked at the speaker to verify it was there and plugged in) he changed my configuration to enable the speaker.

IMG_0093.jpeg

aaaaand....... It works. Megaphone also works in the Tesla app.

Just to note I was originally worried that it would revert back after a software update but I installed an update last week and it is still activated and has been working great.

· Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
3,099 Posts
Neat; now I need to figure if I have the under the dash wiring in my 2018 Tesla 3. I tend to think I don't.
As far as I'm aware, this is very limited to a few vehicles produced from April-July 2019 (intermediate phase where they started configuring vehicles to support the PWS).

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neat; now I need to figure if I have the under the dash wiring in my 2018 Tesla 3. I tend to think I don't.
according to the 2018 wiring diagram it should have the same harness but I'm not 100% sure on that because according to the 2019 wiring diagram the car doesn't have any part of the harness exposed for PWS and it actually does so idk. Please let me know if you have the wires there I'm very curious.

· Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
3,099 Posts

Relevant part:
"The PWS can be added to vehicles built July 2019 - September 2020, as there should be a wiring harness and speaker grill under the front bumper, just not the speaker. So, if you don't have the PWS but your car was made between these months, check for these retrofits to see if you have PWS capability. After installing it, you should be able to put your car in drive and it'll start whirring! You will NOT have boombox capability until you contact your service center and ask if they will push out the update for you."

According to the link above, the wiring started July2019.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Relevant part:
"The PWS can be added to vehicles built July 2019 - September 2020, as there should be a wiring harness and speaker grill under the front bumper, just not the speaker. So, if you don't have the PWS but your car was made between these months, check for these retrofits to see if you have PWS capability. After installing it, you should be able to put your car in drive and it'll start whirring! You will NOT have boombox capability until you contact your service center and ask if they will push out the update for you."

According to the link above, the wiring started July2019.
We are not talking about the harness under the frunk here we are talking about a harness under the dash (connector X908) we are gathering info about wether or not even 18' or early 19' cars will have the connector under the dash. My car was built April 19' and according to Tesla my car does not have the required harness nor will the my car make any noise or run Boombox but it does as I have outlined here. Again I'm not arguing the fact that there is an official cut off for this through Tesla but that is not the full story here. I did state in the beginning that the car will need to have the speaker grille so that was clear from the get go.

· Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
3,099 Posts
We are not talking about the harness under the frunk here we are talking about a harness under the dash (connector X908) we are gathering info about wether or not even 18' or early 19' cars will have the connector under the dash. My car was built April 19' and according to Tesla my car does not have the required harness nor will the my car make any noise or run Boombox but it does as I have outlined here. Again I'm not arguing the fact that there is an official cut off for this through Tesla but that is not the full story here. I did state in the beginning that the car will need to have the speaker grille so that was clear from the get go.
Wasn't aware that there are two different harnesses for the PWS. Thanks for the clarification.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wasn't aware that there are two different harnesses for the PWS. Thanks for the clarification.
It's confusing I know it doesn't help that Tesla keeps everyone in the dark with these types of things. The more info that can be gathered the more leverage we have on getting them to do something instead of them just saying "nope not possible" lol

· Registered
5 Posts
Based on the # of times I've crept up on people, I'm definitely interested in enabling PWS. With my Model 3 being a June 2019 build, it's likely that the wiring harness I have could support this. That said, it seems the wires you've tapped do terminate somewhere (black connector shown in the photo series). Would it be cleaner to attempt to attach to that plug instead of tapping the wires? Was it possible to determine whether those wires went anywhere accessible?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Based on the # of times I've crept up on people, I'm definitely interested in enabling PWS. With my Model 3 being a June 2019 build, it's likely that the wiring harness I have could support this. That said, it seems the wires you've tapped do terminate somewhere (black connector shown in the photo series). Would it be cleaner to attempt to attach to that plug instead of tapping the wires? Was it possible to determine whether those wires went anywhere accessible?
The 2 wires end at the black connector you see there on our vehicles. On later vehicles the wires go to that connector then continue out to the front of the vehicle where the speaker is. It would be possible to buy the pins for the black connector and put the pins in the female end of that connector and run the wires from there (like from the factory) I didn't think it was that important due to those wires not carrying significant current only audio signal so the taps I used work great for this application it just depends wether or not you want it to look 100% OE.

· Registered
5 Posts
The 2 wires end at the black connector you see there on our vehicles. On later vehicles the wires go to that connector then continue out to the front of the vehicle where the speaker is. It would be possible to buy the pins for the black connector and put the pins in the female end of that connector and run the wires from there (like from the factory) I didn't think it was that important due to those wires not carrying significant current only audio signal so the taps I used work great for this application it just depends wether or not you want it to look 100% OE.
It's less about OE look and more about a personal aversion to using taps vs a plug when it comes to warranties and reversibility. I would guess someone could even integrate the connectors and a length of wire as a "kit" and offer it for sale for cars that don't have complete wiring. I do appreciate your hard work and research!

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's less about OE look and more about a personal aversion to using taps vs a plug when it comes to warranties and reversibility. I would guess someone could even integrate the connectors and a length of wire as a "kit" and offer it for sale for cars that don't have complete wiring. I do appreciate your hard work and research!
Yes it is absolutely possible to create a kit if I get some time I'll look up the connector in question and see about making a kit. Also I'm not sure what 3rd wire you are referring to.

· Registered
523 Posts
I think he’s referring to two lengths of wire to run from that black connector to the front of the car where the speaker would be. Unless those wires are in the harness towards the front on these interim builds. I suspect that they aren’t and it’s just the black connector has the two pins and the wiring was added later.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think he's referring to two lengths of wire to run from that black connector to the front of the car where the speaker would be. Unless those wires are in the harness towards the front on these interim builds. I suspect that they aren't and it's just the black connector has the two pins and the wiring was added later.
Ok. Yes there are no wires for PWS after the black connector 2 terminals would need to be added to the other side of the black connector and ran to the PWS location approx. 3.5 - 4 ft of wire instead of dealing with the terminals I just tapped the harness before the connector to run to the speaker. This can be reversed simply by removing the wire taps all they do is poke through the insulation of the wire.

· Registered
5 Posts
Also I'm not sure what 3rd wire you are referring to.
I edited the post to remove that part. I was looking in the wrong place at a set of 3 wires that included a violet wire. I then realized it was unrelated.

I went diving under the passenger dash of my car. I saw more than one possibility of a white/grey twisted wire and didn't have time to figure out how to remove the glovebox for better access.

According to the full diagram from the screenshot, it seems this wire is about 500mm and meets up with connector X908 which has a fair amount of other stuff in it. The diagram then references another 2.3M of wiring from that to the speaker. I'm guessing you found X908 and the other side was barren in pins 5/6? I can't tell from this EWD "where" in the car X908 might be.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I edited the post to remove that part. I was looking in the wrong place at a set of 3 wires that included a violet wire. I then realized it was unrelated.

I went diving under the passenger dash of my car. I saw more than one possibility of a white/grey twisted wire and didn't have time to figure out how to remove the glovebox for better access.

According to the full diagram from the screenshot, it seems this wire is about 500mm and meets up with connector X908 which has a fair amount of other stuff in it. The diagram then references another 2.3M of wiring from that to the speaker. I'm guessing you found X908 and the other side was barren in pins 5/6? I can't tell from this EWD "where" in the car X908 might be.
X908 is the black connector in the pictures. I didn't have to remove the glove box only the under cover and the side kick panel to access everything unless you are trying to get to that black connector (X908) then yes you may need to remove more to gain access. The diagram does reference the 2.3m but that is not there on our cars it stops at the black connector at the 500mm from the MCU and yes you are correct the other side is baron in pins 5/6

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi I did some research and found the terminals needed for the connector is a Sumitomo 8100-3625 or Tesla 1099530-00-A and would need 2 of them but most of the time you have to buy them in bulk.

Also the connector itself is a
Sumitomo 6098-5625

I hope this helps with some of your questions.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts