Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

· Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for the guide! I installed a regular marine waterproof speaker in my 2018 Model 3.
That's what I was planning on doing with mine, if I decide that I want the speaker for the cool sound effects. From what I've seen of specs online, the Tesla pedestrian warning speaker is 25W and 4 Ohms, so it's pretty much just a weatherproof speaker. I have the MPP Smash Me aluminum plate that replaced the front shield under my car, so I would have to drill some holes on it to custom mount the speaker as well.

Reactions: nitewalker033

· Registered
5 Posts
That's what I was planning on doing with mine, if I decide that I want the speaker for the cool sound effects. From what I've seen of specs online, the Tesla pedestrian warning speaker is 25W and 4 Ohms, so it's pretty much just a weatherproof speaker. I have the MPP Smash Me aluminum plate that replaced the front shield under my car, so I would have to drill some holes on it to custom mount the speaker as well.
That's the same info I found online. Ended up with a 4 ohm marine waterproof speaker on Amazon for $20. Works great. Hard part is getting Tesla to activate it.

· Registered
555 Posts
So I was in the garage doing some other mods to my car and decided to go ahead and install the speaker wire and test it out with a spare marine speaker that I have laying around. The pedestrian warning sounds worked right away! I now have to decide how I want to mount the speaker under the frunk area. I might just mount it in the middle area where the front drive unit would go if I had one, on a raised mount to keep water and debris from getting on it. Then I will have to ask a mobile tech to activate all the other bonus features through Toolbox the next time I need service on it (might be a long time).

By the way, my Model 3 was made in March 2018, so I think all of the cars will have the unused grey and white pedestrian speaker wires like the wiring diagram shows.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Vehicle Hood

Automotive design Rim Font Automotive wheel system Circle

Wheel Tire Grille Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So I was in the garage doing some other mods to my car and decided to go ahead and install the speaker wire and test it out with a spare marine speaker that I have laying around. The pedestrian warning sounds worked right away! I now have to decide how I want to mount the speaker under the frunk area. I might just mount it in the middle area where the front drive unit would go if I had one, on a raised mount to keep water and debris from getting on it. Then I will have to ask a mobile tech to activate all the other bonus features through Toolbox the next time I need service on it (might be a long time).

By the way, my Model 3 was made in March 2018, so I think all of the cars will have the unused grey and white pedestrian speaker wires like the wiring diagram shows.
View attachment 41157

View attachment 41159

View attachment 41160
This is some great info. Thanks! Let us know how it all goes.

· Premium Member
915 Posts
Yes the wires are in my 12/18 Model 3. Here's a screenshot from a video I made. This was just to test that it worked. So my final install is a lot cleaner.
Can you share the video link? I wonder if my July 2018 has the wiring; don't care about boom box but I'm forever scaring the daylights out of inattentive folks in parking lots..
thanks

· Registered
555 Posts
Can you share the video link? I wonder if my July 2018 has the wiring; don't care about boom box but I'm forever scaring the daylights out of inattentive folks in parking lots..
thanks
It will not have the two wires going to the front of the car where the pedestrian warning speaker would be, but all Model 3 seem to have the two wires for the speaker accessible at the base of the A-pillar below the glovebox. So if you can (or know someone who can) splice into those two wires and run two wires to the front of the car under the frunk, then it can be installed. So it is doable with some work, like both That_One_Guy's and my experience, for all Model 3s.

· Registered
555 Posts
I created a service request on the Tesla app under the "Software Update" section to see if Tesla would add Boombox to my car. At first they tried to brush me off by saying that my car didn't support the feature, but I let them know that I installed the wiring harness and speaker myself and that the pedestrian warning sounds played on drive and reverse. So they offered to try adding Boombox remotely for the regular installation charge minus the parts cost. I agreed to do it (cost me $161.30 and I paid through the app). Afterward I let them know that Boombox worked great after rebooting my car and they thanked me for giving them feedback and for being the first customer that my service center has done this to remotely. I already shared photos of my wire tapping and marine speaker that I used here https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...fit-for-pre-july-19-model-3.20199/post-330990

Here are the messages and invoice
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Circle Darkness

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Rectangle

Here's a highlighted view of where and how I tapped my speaker wires
Audio equipment Electrical wiring Computer hardware Electronic device Technology

Here's how I modified my MPP aluminum undershield to mount the speaker right below where the front motor would be
Rectangle Wood Material property Gas Tints and shades

Helmet Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Azure Rectangle Wood Grey Paint

Here's how it looks installed. I wanted the speaker raised up to allow water to run out of the hole. My only concern will be if water splashes onto the back of the speaker and pools on there, it could eventually cause mud and dirt to cake on there and freeze the cone in place (causing low volume or no sound). But I have an identical spare speaker that I can replace it with if that happens. If that one eventually fails, then I will order the OEM Tesla speaker and mount in the same spot.
White Hood Azure Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Line Bumper Asphalt

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive fuel system

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I created a service request on the Tesla app under the "Software Update" section to see if Tesla would add Boombox to my car. At first they tried to brush me off by saying that my car didn't support the feature, but I let them know that I installed the wiring harness and speaker myself and that the pedestrian warning sounds played on drive and reverse. So they offered to try adding Boombox remotely for the regular installation charge minus the parts cost. I agreed to do it (cost me $161.30 and I paid through the app). Afterward I let them know that Boombox worked great after rebooting my car and they thanked me for giving them feedback and for being the first customer that my service center has done this to remotely. I already shared photos of my wire tapping and marine speaker that I used here https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...fit-for-pre-july-19-model-3.20199/post-330990

Here are the messages and invoice
View attachment 41206

View attachment 41207

Here's a highlighted view of where and how I tapped my speaker wires
View attachment 41210

Here's how I modified my MPP aluminum undershield to mount the speaker right below where the front motor would be
View attachment 41209

View attachment 41211

View attachment 41212

Here's how it looks installed. I wanted the speaker raised up to allow water to run out of the hole. My only concern will be if water splashes onto the back of the speaker and pools on there, it could eventually cause mud and dirt to cake on there and freeze the cone in place (causing low volume or no sound). But I have an identical spare speaker that I can replace it with if that happens. If that one eventually fails, then I will order the OEM Tesla speaker and mount in the same spot.
Dude this is incredibly good info.!!!! Thanks for the hard work!!! Glad more people are able to get this working using my guide.

· Registered
5 Posts
Tesla activated boombox on my 2018 Model 3 Performance today remotely for free! Had a cool service rep that said it only takes a few click. I took advice from @android04 to do a software service request. Thanks for all the help in this thread.

Attachments

· Registered
555 Posts
Tesla activated boombox on my 2018 Model 3 Performance today remotely for free! Had a cool service rep that said it only takes a few click. I took advice from @android04 to do a software service request. Thanks for all the help in this thread.
Nice that your got it for free. It's probably one of those things that's in a grey area, so it might depend on the service rep and how they code it in the system.

Reactions: nitewalker033

· Banned
1,443 Posts
I decided to go aftermarket with stereo 150 Amp real Boombox, since Tesla can’t figure it out for my 18. I can also add a friendly horn which seems to difficult for the AI to handle, maybe if they removed the stalk. Elon wants a gigabox

Product Gadget Musical instrument accessory Font Office equipment

· Registered
555 Posts
i tried for months to have tesla activate it and they simply won't do it. Maybe its because im in SOCAL and they're all so strict. So i gave up on the project and took the speaker out
The "recall" that disabled most of the fun stuff got rid of the main reason I retrofitted my PWS. I wouldn't have gone through the effort and expense (it cost me $140 to activate it) if I had known I wouldn't be able to play the ice cream truck sound or Toss A Coin To Your Witcher or whatever song I'm playing while driving or summoning the car.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts