Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The phantom Touch issue just reared it's head on my M3 (1 year old vehicle). I'm trying to get Tesla support (not easy). I'm the interim, if I can figure out a way to disable it power down the screen, I could at least safely drive the car. It's so bad, that it randomly decides to navigate to places.

Anyone know if there's a wire I can temporarily pull?

Video of the issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jbaAKUuhRr2PiToF6

10,954 Posts
Can you put it in screen clean mode?

Also, before you try anything ... do you have the factory screen protector on?

Reactions: Bokonon and GDN

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have mentioned that I did try rebooting multiple times. Rebooting seems to be the only way to get the screen to shut down: even when I lock the car now, the screen stays on because it must be thinking someone is using it.

· Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
To double check what @SoFlaModel3 mentions, there is a very light thin cover from the factory. They are not meant for long term protection, only there for protection until delivery. Delivery teams didn't take them off in the early days, but after many reports of what you show they stated taking them off to fix the problem, before delivery. Look closely at a corner of the screen to see if you have a very thing protective cover on your screen. If so and you didn't put it there, it is the one from the factory and should be removed. Using a piece of scotch tape to stick to the corner of the screen and then lifting away might stick to it and lift it off as well.

Reactions: SoFlaModel3

10,954 Posts
To double check what @SoFlaModel3 mentions, there is a very light thin cover from the factory. They are not meant for long term protection, only there for protection until delivery. Delivery teams didn't take them off in the early days, but after many reports of what you show they stated taking them off to fix the problem, before delivery. Look closely at a corner of the screen to see if you have a very thing protective cover on your screen. If so and you didn't put it there, it is the one from the factory and should be removed. Using a piece of scotch tape to stick to the corner of the screen and then lifting away might stick to it and lift it off as well.
Here is a picture of it coming off. @pdet86 I had phantom touches and they went away when I took this off so hopefully it's that simple for you!

Automotive design Gadget Electronic instrument Audio equipment Computer hardware

Reactions: GDN

· Super Moderator
5,741 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
I found the problem. The screen is cracked. It became apparent when looking with the right lighting. Photo is attached: it's in the lower left hand corner
Wow good find, but very unfortunate. Recall any bumps or hitting it that would have caused that?

I went back and looked at the video, for the most part you'd never see it, but zooming in you can see just a little bit of the white portions bleed a fraction from the crack. I'd never have seen it though if not looking for it.

10,954 Posts
Wow - look at that old GUI. Very good demo showing the factory protector.
Yeah!! What an evolution!!!

I found the problem. The screen is cracked. It became apparent when looking with the right lighting. Photo is attached: it's in the lower left hand corner
I still go back to my initial question - did you double check that screen protector is off? It may be that the screen protector is cracked and the screen is fine. Worth confirming!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To follow up: Yes, the initial screen protector was removed. I had a 3rd party screen protector, which I also removed to check if it were the culprit. When I confirmed it wasn't then, I just temporarily put it back on, hence the bubbles in the photos. I dropped in on a Service Center today, and they took the car and gave me a loaner.

10,954 Posts
To follow up: Yes, the initial screen protector was removed. I had a 3rd party screen protector, which I also removed to check if it were the culprit. When I confirmed it wasn't then, I just temporarily put it back on, hence the bubbles in the photos. I dropped in on a Service Center today, and they took the car and gave me a loaner.
Good luck with it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.