Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

How often do you charge outside your home?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· re member
888 Posts
Was gonna vote only on rod trips but there have been a few occasions where I’ve had to do it locally (power failure at home, the night before a last minute road trip to give home charge a head start, etc.).

As such, I don’t know if almost never is correctly conveying my usage pattern since I do charge on road trips and occasionally near home. If that seems like an uncategorized usage type, perhaps another poll choice?

· Registered
4,277 Posts
Always was closest for me. Since I get free supercharging and take so many road trips, charging in home happens rarely. Since charge stats came out in the app, I'm generally around 94% supercharger and 6% home. The supercharger 9 miles from home is where I detail the car, do a little reading, or just sit and listen to some music.

· Registered
865 Posts
No choice above that I can relate to Trevor. I would be "occasionally".
I charge on long road trips but also, occasionally at locations with free L2 chargers. Shopping centers etc.

But mostly at home.

· Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
3,097 Posts
When I read “how often” I take that to mean how regularly. I’ve never HAD to charge outside of road trips. I’ve definitely plugged in opportunistically, especially to burn through free SC miles, but never actually had to.

· Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
3,097 Posts
Font Screenshot Technology Space Darkness

This is the past month for my 3. SC twice simply because I met up a co-worker for lunch right by a SC and decided to try to use some of our free SC.

My wife on the other hand:
Font Screenshot Electric blue Science Darkness

· Registered
364 Posts
I've only had my car for three weeks now, so I don't have a lot of seat time for this topic yet. However, in still learning to have an EV vehicle, currently (no pun intended lol) I only charge at home. I did try the local Supercharger last week, just to experience using one for future use. I don't expect to have to charge outside of home unless I'm going more than a couple hundred miles away from home.

I also don't currently have a mobile charger to keep in the car. I bought one from someone online, but they never sent it and stopped replying, so there goes that money. Trying to find another one for a decent price right now to keep in the car.

· Registered
6 Posts
Free charging at work so I try to leverage that.
Free charging anywhere in Austin at Chargepoint.
Supercharge only when traveling.
Charge at home when on vacation.

I make sure I don't brag to my gasser friends and I always offer to drive at lunch.

According to app Charge Stats 400KWh total spent $1.00
That's for about 1,200 miles.

· Registered
1,524 Posts
I charge almost exclusively at home. If I am at a freebie shopping mall (not many left) i'll plug in there. At the parkade at work, i have up to 4 hours charging for free which is usually enough for me to regain what I use to drive in to work. But I'm only in the office twice a week.

If I took trips anymore I'd SC, but I have become a hermit.

· Registered
2 Posts
We charge mostly at home at night with the regular wall outlet. Over three years seems to be we roughly gain 60 miles range a night x 340 nights a year = 20,000 miles a year. Supplement with the super fast and easy Tesla Supercharger network. Car and wallet seem to like it. :)

· Registered
4,302 Posts
I'm one of the lucky (or unlucky?) ones where the office work and day trips I've taken since 2018 haven't required charging anywhere but at home.

I've only used Chargepoint twice - once at a Disney park when the car was new just to see how it worked (I was the only one parked in a charging spot, so I wasn't being rude), and once at county offices where the charging space was literally the only space left, period, in the parking garage (and I wasn't planning to be there long). And I used a Shell owned charging space at Seaworld once because the parking attendent misdirected me there, and it was either take the spot or exit the entire park and re-enter.

I did, however, plan in my head where I could get charging if I needed it, in case of stuff like storm induced power outage at my house. There was a Supercharger near the office (before I switched to WFH), and there was a shop in the building I worked in that had a 6-20 outlet next to the loading bay, so I got a charging head for that just in case that's still in my car.

· Registered
364 Posts
I'm one of the lucky (or unlucky?) ones where the office work and day trips I've taken since 2018 haven't required charging anywhere but at home.

I've only used Chargepoint twice - once at a Disney park when the car was new just to see how it worked (I was the only one parked in a charging spot, so I wasn't being rude), and once at county offices where the charging space was literally the only space left, period, in the parking garage (and I wasn't planning to be there long). And I used a Shell owned charging space at Seaworld once because the parking attendent misdirected me there, and it was either take the spot or exit the entire park and re-enter.

I did, however, plan in my head where I could get charging if I needed it, in case of stuff like storm induced power outage at my house. There was a Supercharger near the office (before I switched to WFH), and there was a shop in the building I worked in that had a 6-20 outlet next to the loading bay, so I got a charging head for that just in case that's still in my car.
Do you use the Level2 J1772 charging at the non-tesla chargers?

· Registered
364 Posts
Yes, both Chargepoints and the Shell were J1772.
Ok cool. I have not tried that option as of yet. What's your experience on charge times? About on par with Level2 home charging?

· Super Moderator
17,747 Posts
Ok cool. I have not tried that option as of yet. What's your experience on charge times? About on par with Level2 home charging?
They'll all be similar - the differences depend on the circuit to which the charging station is connected.

For example, at home I have a Wall Connector providing 48 amps from a 240 volt circuit. That can provide 11.5 kW of power.

The Chargepoint station I use at work provides 30 amps from a 208 volt circuit, so only provides 6.2 kW (about half the power).

· Registered
1,524 Posts
sometimes the trick is circuit sharing

at work there are 5 Flo stations. If all are in use I get much slower charging than if I am the only one. Usually I will start charging at lunch because a spot usually frees up. I will see a screen/app estimate of 8 or more hours to go, but near the end of the day when I am the last one charging the juice ramps up and I'll get more in that last hour than the previous 3 hours.

Reactions: garsh
1 - 20 of 33 Posts