Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the winter months my power company's usage plan has two off-peak windows, 9pm-5am and 9am-5pm. Weird, I know. I may be missing something, but is it possible to tell the car its ok to charge in either of those windows? I've set the 'off peak ends at' to 5am, but it would be nice for it to charge during the day if needed, but only during the off-peak window.

If not, what work arounds might there be?

· Registered
2,156 Posts
I don't think that there is a way. But if you work a normal daytime shift, then you wouldn't be home for the daytime peak.
It looks like your winter rate only decreases 25% between peal and off-peak, that's not much, and your high rate at $0.0998 is a pretty low rate to begin with. It's the summer rate that you really need to worry about, a 70% drop is significant.

If you are charging with a L2 charger, you should be finished in a few hours, so I'd just set it to start at 9PM and then you are good for summer and winter rates.

These comments are based upon you using SRP, which seemed to have the rate plans you are referring to.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice sleuthing. Yep, SRP. The 9pm start for both seasonal rates is a good idea. I have an L2 charger that was installed when I bought the Volt in 2012. It's a Blink charger, if anyone remembers those. the connectivity and screen functionality died long ago, but it works just fine as a 'dumb' charger and will charge the Model Y at 30A, which is plenty.

Does seem silly Tesla doesn't allow for this, my now ancient Volt has a winter summer schedule and lets you set the charging windows accordingly. I've only had to change it once in ten years when I changed rate plans a few years ago.

· Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Heck, there isn't even a way to specify one charging window--without using external services like Stats, anyway.

For those of us with L1 charging, that's a major pain in the behind.

My cheapest hours are midnight to 8 am. For the typical amount I drive in a day, that means if I tell it to start charging at midnight, I'm OK. But if I took a longer day-trip, it might take me more than 8 hours to charge back up. So I can tell the car to start charging at midnight, but then every morning at 8 am I have to remember to go to the app and tell the car to stop.

Allowing to specify a true charging calendar is high on my wishlist for relatively easy to implement firmware updates. Maybe in 2022...

· Premium Member
1,028 Posts
So far, I haven't found the third-party apps I've used to be reliable enough for this purpose for me. I don't think it's their fault, really--sometimes the car just decides it doesn't want to take orders anymore, and I need to reauthorize.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.