Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my 2021 Model S long range in June.
I ordered the 21" Arachnid Wheels which came with Michelin PILOT SPORT 4S - SIZE: Front 265 and Rear 295 / 30 R21 Tires.

Since purchasing the car I have had 3 flats on the right rear. The tires have blown out from impacting either a pot hole or a raised driveway curb. Impacts that one would think typical and not an issue for most cars.

A new tire costs me about $500 every time it happens.

Anyone else having such an issue? Seems like the side walls must be weak for this to happen so easily and frequently. So far no warrantee help offered.

· Super Moderator
17,742 Posts
I'm afraid that this is the risk we take when we have tires with very low profile sidewalls. Much easier for them to fail from such impacts.

You can mitigate it somewhat by running tire pressures at the tire's rated maximum. But the best thing to do is to keep an eye out for bad potholes and avoid them.

· Registered
1 Posts
I received my 2021 Model S long range in June.
I ordered the 21" Arachnid Wheels which came with Michelin PILOT SPORT 4S - SIZE: Front 265 and Rear 295 / 30 R21 Tires.

Since purchasing the car I have had 3 flats on the right rear. The tires have blown out from impacting either a pot hole or a raised driveway curb. Impacts that one would think typical and not an issue for most cars.

A new tire costs me about $500 every time it happens.

Anyone else having such an issue? Seems like the side walls must be weak for this to happen so easily and frequently. So far no warrantee help offered.
We had 7 flat tires since our tire replacement in August, 2021. Just got another flat yesterday.
We owned a 2019 Model S Sports with 21" tires, we didn't have any issues for the first 20k miles ( original from 2019). However, we changed the whole set of tires in August, 2021.
Then we have 7 flats since then. We think the tires are defective and we don't know whom to reach to resolve the issues.
We are considering changing the rings and tires to 19".. but Michelin needs to know.

· TOO Founder
5,664 Posts
We had 7 flat tires since our tire replacement in August, 2021. Just got another flat yesterday.
We owned a 2019 Model S Sports with 21" tires, we didn't have any issues for the first 20k miles ( original from 2019). However, we changed the whole set of tires in August, 2021.
Then we have 7 flats since then. We think the tires are defective and we don't know whom to reach to resolve the issues.
We are considering changing the rings and tires to 19".. but Michelin needs to know.
Ouch. Where I am we mostly deal with winter related potholes. In 4+ years of owning Teslas with the largest wheels available ie: very little sidewall, I've managed to never get any damage 🤞

· Registered
5 Posts
Good general info as above.
But has anyone seen this issue of the foam insert coming loose from the glue on the inside of the tyre?
I have had this on both rear tyres on my Model S.
Near new...5000km's and quite a wobble when they cam unstuck.
Ghastly experience!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

· Registered
5 Posts
Good call, best swap back to 19" wheels...I've had the exact experience and now on the larger, more solid sidewall ones, have had a better run on a wide variety of backcountry and motor roads alike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts