Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
i have recently became Tesla model Y owner and extremely disappointed with the recent announcement of price reduction by 13k. Have asked sales team if there is price protection policy within 30 day window and answer was NO.. os there a petition to send message to Tesla to do something about it?
You'd think it would be easy enough to offer a reduced price for full self driving. It's already developed and it's software not hard product. "Hey Elon, how about offering FSD for 5K for those of us that bought a model Y at full price?"

· Registered
1 Posts
Placed a LEASE order for a 2023 MYP mid Dec. with $3750 rebate. a few days before 12/26 delivery that changed to $7500 plus 10k free charging miles. I automatically qualified for the latter because I haven't taken delivery yet. About 2 weeks after I took delivery here comes this massive price reduction across the board. Tesla now says there will be NO ADJUSTMENT to my lease price so SOL. So unfortunate as I was excited about joining the EV (Tesla) community. Just leaves a bad taste as how this company does business and treats there existing customers. Plus I got a USS model. Not sure if that's a plus or minus right now. Hoping Tesla will offer Enhanced or Full auto pilot as a comp in exchange for loss price reduction. Although that's wishful thinking. Otherwise happy with the car. #ITISWHATITIS

· Registered
29 Posts
This is all very interesting ... speculation and grand canyon sized opinions. If you really want to know why anyone interested in buying a car should consider Tesla check out this Youtube clip from a much longer but very worthwhile interview of Cory Steuben (Munro Assoc. President) by Farzad Mesbahi (former Tesla employee). It really is a no-brainer to get a Model Y of any version. I've been driving my 2021 for a year and a half now and it is the best car I've ever owned, It has tons of room, is very fast and is safe and comfortable road trip car. I even use a hitch mount and bring our ebikes along when we visit the coast or mountains, It also requires zero maintenance and since I have Tesla Solar with Powerwalls on my home most of the energy used charging of the cars (the wife has a 2021 Model 3 SR) is provided by the sun. My wife is in all regards NOT a car person but she absolutely loves her Model 3.

I am a CyberTruck reservation holder (#134,000) and the CT will likely be my last vehicle purchase, Tesla is doing most everything right and I don't give a damn about Musk, and Twitter and all the FUD produced by the dying ICE Auto and aligned industries, Tesla is the reason we have a viable alternative to ICE vehicles and they technology lead and manufacturing prowess will ensure their long term viability. BTW, I think the price drop was brilliant and I'm sorry for those of you who bought the price inflated Tesla's.

· Vendor
86 Posts
That really does suck @EVMiami ; at first I was reading it, like others I'm sure, thinking boo-hoo, he only got the $7500 discount (we took delivery of our latest Y earlier in December, so only got the $3750), but then they totally screwed you buy pushing your date into the very narrow window where no discount exists, and the price reduction hadn't yet taken effect. Getting hold of an actual person in Tesla, who actually cares, is really difficult these days, it's one of their main weaknesses. At least at a traditional dealer you can speak with the 'manager', and they'll normally throw something in to make you go away. Tesla hides behind their app.

The best and worst time to buy a Tesla is the day you buy a Tesla, I think we all know that's a fact of life. All the owners of cars being sold this month will probably be pissed when HW4 is announced (I still don't think there's even a remote change they'll attain Level 4/5 with HW3). But mentally (this is our 8th Tesla I think), I just get past it now. Nearly all of the Tesla's I've bought have been significantly upgraded within weeks or months of purchase, and in the earlier days of Model S, significant price reductions.

I'd still continue to try to reach someone useful at Tesla if I were in your shoes, but also try not to let it eat away at you, and enjoy the car for what it is.

· Registered
14 Posts
i have recently became Tesla model Y owner and extremely disappointed with the recent announcement of price reduction by 13k. Have asked sales team if there is price protection policy within 30 day window and answer was NO.. os there a petition to send message to Tesla to do something about it?
Exactly. You should petition Tesla to cancel the price reduction and instead increase the price by an additional $5k as compensation for your trouble. This is the only way you will be truly happy.

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Realistically speaking though, is it good business practice to announce price/feature changes in advance? Unfortunately, buying cars is like buying stocks or crypto nowadays. Price volatility is obnoxious plus only insiders can benefit the most.

That said, I still feel sorry for those who bought at much higher prices. But hopefully you (eventually) feel reassured that you've invested one of the best and safest vehicles out there.

Reactions: garsh

· Registered
589 Posts
These posts are interesting. You decided to buy something. You agreed to a price. The something provided you sufficient value for the price. Done. Boo hoo that the company lowered prices later. It happens.

I get the annoyance for the folks expecting to take delivery end of December and were pushed to early Jan before price break. Rest of folks - bah! You’re being petty and are annoyed that others are getting a better deal than you. Get over it. Enjoy the deal you did make and the car you have.

· Registered
3 Posts
What about those of us who recently purchased in Q4 to own a Tesla (obviously), and help support a great company and product?

Here is a win win suggestion:

Why not provide a software credit of the price drop (in the case of my MYP = $13,000) to your recent buyers? I would be happy to take that credit and apply to FSD!

What’s good about it:
1. Minimal cost to Tesla.
2. Huge goodwill to your recent customers.
3. Massive immediate increase to number of FSD drivers on the road; got to help the algorithms and spur more adoption.
4. Might just be the right thing to do.

· Registered
1 Posts
In old good days when computers' power progressed furiously fast Dell had a policy of refunding a price drop during first 30 days after the PC purchase. Would like to see the same applied here.
I understand Musk's move as an attempt to kill competitors' sales with this price drop. However, so blatantly drop in prices ~ 13%! And we are not talking about some PCs anymore and it is not $100-200 ranges. These cars experienced 10-13K drop in MSRPs! This is not good for the resale value of Teslas. It will make them pretty toxic assets. A lot of owners and businesses just lost a lot of money on this. My car is now costs less then a loan I took for it and paying to the bank. Similar situation as in real estate back in 2008. Anyone wants to participate in a class action case for this?

· Premium Member
1,407 Posts
In old good days when computers' power progressed furiously fast Dell had a policy of refunding a price drop during first 30 days after the PC purchase. Would like to see the same applied here.
I understand Musk's move as an attempt to kill competitors' sales with this price drop. However, so blatantly drop in prices ~ 13%! And we are not talking about some PCs anymore and it is not $100-200 ranges. These cars experienced 10-13K drop in MSRPs! This is not good for the resale value of Teslas. It will make them pretty toxic assets. A lot of owners and businesses just lost a lot of money on this. My car is now costs less then a loan I took for it and paying to the bank. Similar situation as in real estate back in 2008. Anyone wants to participate in a class action case for this?
Don't worry. Per Musk:

Tesla cars are now “appreciating assets” and (he) says that they should be worth $100,000 to $200,000 with the Full Self-Driving package.
😂

· Registered
865 Posts
I disagree that it was Musk's attempt to kill competition. Tesla faced a big issue with the Model Y not meeting the new IRS tax credit rules. He had to lower the Y price to get the credit or they would collect dust. Note most of the Y models are just barely below $55K. And in doing that, he had to adjust the other models too. S and X inventories were also rising.

You mention class action. Yes it does stink to have paid more for the car days earlier. But what law did Tesla break?

· Registered
8 Posts
New to the forum here. I was originally in the market for a reasonably priced EV, so I landed on the Chevy Bolt forum looking at the Bolt EUV. I actually placed an order for one, but after I seen dealer markups on that car, I was discouraged over the represented deal .vs the actual deal. With Chevy, it's just so time consuming trying to find a dealer who will sell for close to MSRP. If they could have delivered that car in a reasonable amount of time for the prices they represented online, I would would be driving one now.

I should mention I had this perception of Tesla as an upscale car company, so at the time I didn't seriously look at what they had. After the Bolt fiasco, I decided to look at used Teslas to see what was out there. About that time the price reduction kicked into effect in addition to the rebate here in the US. In actuality Tesla is about the only one delivering cars with any sort of dependibility in addition to makers like Kia selling EVs that don't qualify for said rebate. This really puts Tesla front and center for anyone looking at EVs right now.

I reserved a car after test driving a few different models and ordered a Y. I came in looking at the M3s. Both excellent cars, but the Y really persuaded me.Much more than I wanted to spend on a car even with the price reduction, but in the end I decided to go for what I wanted.

One of the reasons I am posting my experiences is to pass along a comment the Tesla rep made. He indicated that he had word Tesla would soon be telling buyers they could not guarantee a Mar. delivery date. He indicated there was a chance our car might not be delivered within the time frame.

One can only hope the window won't close or that the rebate will be extended. There is a very good possibility that anyone who places an order now expecting the rebate might be very disappointed.

· Registered
6 Posts
There is always the risk of a price increase or in this case a decrease. There is also a risk that the tax credit might not be extended past the March date. It is alway sad to be the one affected by such a change when it is not in your favor. Such is life and after all if we agree to a price we must have been okay at the time we agreed. Perhaps we cannot always know the future. These things happen and to those who are negatively affected, I share your unfortunate timing which I have had numerous times in the stock market, and hope your feelings pass and you enjoy your new Tesla. It seems to me a good idea to not let it take away your peace or enjoyment since we have such little control over such outside forces.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts