Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to Costco to inquire about compatible tires for my Y and the rep told me that I should stick with the same brand of tires that came with the car. He said that all other tires would have higher road noise and higher battery consumption. He said that the Tesla tires have a layer of foam that reduces road noise.

I'd like to hear from other forum members that have installed a different brand of tires on their Y whether they are experiencing higher road noise and higher battery consumption as stated by the Costco rep.

· Registered
3 Posts
This is why I don't let tire shops touch my cars. Get good tires. Tires are everything. Get the tires your want. Bring them the old tires / wheels, have them mount / balance the new tires, and then put them back on the car yourself. They don't know what they're talking about, and I wouldn't trust that ship for anything. I put all kinds of brands on my cars. Currently have Vredsteins on the M3P and Generals on the MYP. Both are great! I personally don't buy tires with foam in them. I've heard of ships not even touching Teslas because they think they're exotic. That's crazy. Below the batteries, it's just a car.

· Premium Member
450 Posts
I installed Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires in May prior to a round trip from Tucson to Maine. (18" Aero wheels)

The road noise wasn't any different as far as I could tell. The ride quality was basically the same. I got an average of 274 wh/mi on the trip of 6,800 miles. That is exactly the same as my Seattle to Tucson road trip efficiency on the original MXM4s. I think the Tours are going to last longer than the MXM4s.

BTW, if the Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires had been available in May I would have probably chosen those.

Reactions: francoisp

· Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Costco, for liability reasons, replaces tires with the same brand/size as OEM.
I disagree with that statement. Costco is okay installing Michelin tires on my Y as long as the rating of the replacement tire is equal or higher than the original. The clerk simply stated that my range would decrease and the road noise would increase.

· Registered
127 Posts
I disagree with that statement. Costco is okay installing Michelin tires on my Y as long as the rating of the replacement tire is equal or higher than the original. The clerk simply stated that my range would decrease and the road noise would increase.
The last time I had my tires replaced at Costco it specifically said I could only order the OEM replacement. I am certain it said that and confirmed with the local tire section at Costco at the time. It now says what your are saying, it did certainly change, for the better.

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm switching OEM 255/45 19r 104 to Michelin sport all season next week, same specs. I will share my experience after some use. Further note, 25000 miles on OEM. Plenty of tread on outside, down to wear bars on inner. I always have 42 psi. Vehicle runs true, I believe 42 psi could be too high. I.e. better range, but more tire wear.

· Registered
4 Posts
I just had a flat on my new MYLR, with Continental tires. Replacement tire not available anywhere in less than a week, except Tesla. Of course I was more than 50 miles from SCenter, so I was on my own, so I took the wheel 180 miles round trip, to Tesla & they mounted a new one, $295 + 55). Tesla is not a registered dealer for Continental, so while selling me a new tire, they couldn't help with the warranty issue. (slow sidewall leak, with no road hazard damage whatsoever). And as no dealer wants to handle a warranty issue they didn't sell, I have to go to the manufacturer.

· Registered
69 Posts
I just replaced my OEM tires today (36,000 miles) at Discount Tire. Great work. They had the pucks for the jacks and ended with a hand torque wrench and proper inflation.

I had done all my research and chose the Michelin sport all season. When I went into the sales office after my research, I just asked the sales person "what tires do you recommend for my Model 3?" He came up with the same tire I had planned to ask for. I imagined that he would try to up-market me and I was pleasantly surprised.

· Premium Member
419 Posts
I just replaced my OEM tires today (36,000 miles) at Discount Tire. Great work. They had the pucks for the jacks and ended with a hand torque wrench and proper inflation.

I had done all my research and chose the Michelin sport all season. When I went into the sales office after my research, I just asked the sales person "what tires do you recommend for my Model 3?" He came up with the same tire I had planned to ask for. I imagined that he would try to up-market me and I was pleasantly surprised.
I've been buying all my tires from America's tire or Doscount tire since the late 90's. They are the best.

· Registered
2 Posts
Can I put the Turanza Quiettracks on MY?
I only got 30k out of my ProContacts and want to double that. I could care less about performance... I'm not racing anyone. I'm looking for touring range, comfortable & long lasting tires and these seem to be quiet and fit the bill.

My primary question is would these tires support the weight of the car ok?

· Registered
26 Posts
I'm switching OEM 255/45 19r 104 to Michelin sport all season next week, same specs. I will share my experience after some use. Further note, 25000 miles on OEM. Plenty of tread on outside, down to wear bars on inner. I always have 42 psi. Vehicle runs true, I believe 42 psi could be too high. I.e. better range, but more tire wear.
How do you like the Michelin sport all seasons?

· Registered
5 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I'm interested in replacing my OEM tires; Pirelli P-Zeros 255/35/21 (f)/ 275/35/21 (r) with Michelin's All Season Pilot Sport 4 265/35zr21 (f) /295/32zr21 (r). Has anyone have experience with the intended replacement and if so should I be worried about rubbing conditions?
Thank you, J

· Registered
20 Posts
I went to Costco to inquire about compatible tires for my Y and the rep told me that I should stick with the same brand of tires that came with the car. He said that all other tires would have higher road noise and higher battery consumption. He said that the Tesla tires have a layer of foam that reduces road noise.

I'd like to hear from other forum members that have installed a different brand of tires on their Y whether they are experiencing higher road noise and higher battery consumption as stated by the Costco rep.
I used Nokian. Higher wear resistance. Noisier - a little. Reduced rage around 13%.

Win run. Not noisier but different noise. Increased range around 8%.

Also 25% cost of original tyres

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.