Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of gripes about my Model 3 that are associated with the software and the "nanny" attitude of Tesla Inc., and the software developers.

First, I've found the best way to reduce incidents of phantom breaking is to turn off the automatic emergency breaking in the autopilot menu. Unfortunately I have to turn this off and hit the appropriate button in the "are you sure" dialog that immediately follows. When this is turned off, I've noted a lack of phantom breaking incidents, and I'd like to keep it turned off until phantom breaking is eliminated. From my perspective, phantom breaking is a greater danger than not having automatic emergency breaking.

Second, I am very annoyed that I can't turn off the automatic wipers when cruise control is engaged. I've been told that this is "required" while in cruise control. Why? I can turn it off when the cruise is not engaged, and as a responsible adult, I am completely capable of turning them on when they are needed.

Third, a relatively minor annoyance. Although Tesla Inc has finally seen fit to allow us to customize the buttons at the bottom of the screen, the one button I really want at the bottom is the one that opens the glove box. I still have to hit the car icon to open the glove box. Although it is not a safety issue, this is an easily fixed issue.

Are these issues other owners would like to resolve? How is the best way to communicate these issues to Tesla Inc?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Turning off a safety feature is definitely something that you should be double prompted for.

Can you see out of the cameras? Nope, that's why the wipers have to be automatic. You can't see if a bird poops on the windshield camera.

Hit steering wheel button and say open glove box

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll agree with most of your gripes, but for this one just say "open glove box" couldn't be simpler.
Thank you for the response, but it could be simpler. The voice command requires hitting the steering wheel button, then the voice command. As others have noted, the voice command doesn't always work. Moving the glove box button to the bottom of the screen is a one step operation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turning off a safety feature is definitely something that you should be double prompted for.

Can you see out of the cameras? Nope, that's why the wipers have to be automatic. You can't see if a bird poops on the windshield camera.

Hit steering wheel button and say open glove box
Why do the wipers HAVE to be automatic in cruise control? They don't have to be automatic without the cruise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why do the wipers HAVE to be automatic in cruise control? They don't have to be automatic without the cruise.
Tesla uses adaptive cruise control, AFAIK, in all cruise control variations. Adaptive cruise control, uses the camera on the windshield. It can't be adaptive if it can't see what is in front of it. Sure thet might could have used a small wiper for the camera, but that would have been relatively expensive when the normal wipers can easily clean the camera view.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Yes, that is the excuse.
There is no reason Tesla could not show the camera quality rating for every camera just like a psi high for the tire. It should not require you to keep the wipers or the lightsmon automatic, and should only warn you if it cannot perform its job due to a dirty camera or poor lighting. And everyone, I think would like automatic wipers and bright lights, the problem is, it does not work, just like FSD. The problem is not the operators, it is limited by the sensors, cameras, computers, and code. Not to mention regulators and insurance companies.

Reactions: Klaus-rf
1 - 9 of 9 Posts