Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· TOO RSS Bot
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The driver and passenger in a Tesla Model 3 escaped serious injury after their car crashed into a BC Ferries ramp in West Vancouver, British Columbia over the weekend. While the investigation has not been completed it appears the driver mistakenly pressed the accelerator instead of the brake pedal.

The incident occurred at the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal on Saturday, January 14. According to Sgt. Mark McLean, spokesperson for the West Vancouver Police Department, the Model 3 “suddenly accelerated into the gate.” As you can see from the photo shared by the West Vancouver Police Department, the impact caused significant damage to the vehicle, and according to BC Ferries spokesperson Deborah Marshall the gate was also damaged and the ferry ramp was closed for the rest of the day. (via Glacier Media)

Fortunately the driver and passenger were transported to hospital with non-life threatening injuries, but the Model 3 was not so lucky as it was totaled.

tesla-crash-ferries
Sgt. McLean said they haven’t determined a cause for the accident and that they are continuing their investigation to determine whether it was mechanical or driver error, however it is likely what is referred to as sudden unintended acceleration. There have been numerous cases where a driver has claimed that their Tesla suddenly accelerated without their input, but in each case the data has shown that the driver pressed the accelerator and not the brake pedal.

The accident could have been a lot worse though, as you can also see from the image that the closed gate stopped the Model 3 from potentially lying off the ferry ramp and into the water. It might sound unbelievable but it has actually happened before, and more than once.

The post Tesla Model 3 totaled after “suddenly accelerating” into BC Ferries ramp in Vancouver appeared first on Drive Tesla.

Continue reading...

· Super Moderator
17,721 Posts
Shouldn't the car be able to prevent unintended acceleration?
Pressing the accelerator signals to the car that you intend to accelerate.

You might be thinking of Obstacle Aware Acceleration. This is a configurable option in Tesla vehicles. If set, it prevents sending full power to the motors when it looks like you'll hit something, but won't prevent you from actually hitting it.

· Registered
508 Posts
A classic case of mixing up the brake with the accelerator.

Reactions: Shilliard528

· Registered
365 Posts
My question is why was he not using regenerative braking? I realize I do not know the actual situation but if I was approaching a closed barrier I would in most circumstances be controlling the car via single pedal driving.

Reactions: Shilliard528

· Registered
1,522 Posts
I use regenerative braking all the time. twice a month i dust off the brake pedal because it starts to look shabby.

With regen braking the only pedal I'm touching is the accelerator. I brake by releasing the accelerator. If a brain needed to brake suddenly, I could understand it relying on years of "PRESS PEDAL TO STOP" reflex and jam on the only pedal you use. But who knows.

Maybe it's just an accident and like @Klaus-rf said, if this wasn't a Tesla no one would care.

· Registered
4,284 Posts
This is a clear case of "do what I mean, not what I say". Or that when they hit the accelerator by accident, they expect the car to figure out what they meant to do and stop.

· Premium Member
1,683 Posts
My understanding is if the car is stationary, it resists accelerating into a wall and maybe a fixed object. But if moving, all I've seen is an alert.

Bob Wilson

· Premium Member
1,683 Posts
My understanding is if the Tesla is stationary, it resists accelerating into a wall and maybe a fixed object. But if moving, all I've seen is an alert and strong regenerative braking while the accelerator works nicely ... to steer into an adjacent lane.

Bob Wilson

· Registered
2 Posts
depends.... the accelerator pedals in Model S, X and 3 vehicles have two independent position sensors. If there is any error, the system defaults to cut off motor torque and applying the brake pedal simultaneously with the accelerator pedal will override the accelerator pedal input and cut off motor torque, and regardless of the torque, sustained braking will stop the car. Tesla also uses Autopilot sensor suite to help distinguish potential pedal misapplications and cut torque to mitigate or prevent accidents when they are confident the driver’s input was unintentional. Each system is independent and records data, so tesla can examine exactly what happened.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts