Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently pay attention to how to jack M3 correctly by using jack pad and remembered Tesla subcontractor came to my house to install my winter tires set bought on the Tesla online without any jack pad used and directly used 4 floor jack to life my M3. So I checked all 4 jack points to see any possible damage. Yes, see some paint damage and dents. Not sure those subcontractor really qualified by Tesla. Jack Pads seems a must to avoid those damages. Anybody knows what the pink color line is, a kind of sealer? Thx.

Attachments

· Registered
245 Posts
Recently pay attention to how to jack M3 correctly by using jack pad and remembered Tesla subcontractor came to my house to install my winter tires set bought on the Tesla online without any jack pad used and directly used 4 floor jack to life my M3. So I checked all 4 jack points to see any possible damage. Yes, see some paint damage and dents. Not sure those subcontractor really qualified by Tesla. Jack Pads seems a must to avoid those damages. Anybody knows what the pink color line is, a kind of sealer? Thx.
Similar occurred here. I asked about the lack of jack-pad use, and he was advised that when a "proper" jack was used, the jack-pads were not required. I asked him to use mine (reverse logic) anyway. Mine was his last appointment of the day, so I'm not the only one!

I haven't had a chance to look for possible damage yet.

I was also surprised that the subcontractor showed up (in a 5 ton truck), and THEN commenced to assemble the wheels/tmps/tires, and THEN balanced them, and THEN actually installed them. It would have probably been more efficient (and for sure more quiet) had the actual assembly be done in a proper shop.

And THEN he said that the tires needed torquing to 140 ft-lbs.

I called TESLA the next day to provide feedback.

· Super Moderator
4,871 Posts
Similar occurred here. I asked about the lack of jack-pad use, and he was advised that when a "proper" jack was used, the jack-pads were not required. I asked him to use mine (reverse logic) anyway. Mine was his last appointment of the day, so I'm not the only one!

I haven't had a chance to look for possible damage yet.

I was also surprised that the subcontractor showed up (in a 5 ton truck), and THEN commenced to assemble the wheels/tmps/tires, and THEN balanced them, and THEN actually installed them. It would have probably been more efficient (and for sure more quiet) had the actual assembly be done in a proper shop.

And THEN he said that the tires needed torquing to 140 ft-lbs.

I called TESLA the next day to provide feedback.
Wow, I've never seen mounting and balancing done mobile. They do need a lot of torque. But the manual says 129 ft-lbs not 140.

· Registered
245 Posts
Wow, I've never seen mounting and balancing done mobile. They do need a lot of torque. But the manual says 129 ft-lbs not 140.
Yes. I was sure it was 129 ft-lbs. I doubted myself when the Tesla tire dude, with the mobile tire shop, told me otherwise.

After he left, I confirmed it was 129.

· Registered
110 Posts
I purchased jack pads and insisted my shop use them. The shop told me that the jack pads made their job easier. I keep them in the frunk in case I ever need to jack the car up.
I did the same thing - only problem was that the floor jacks they had were too high to fit under the jack pad. Luckily they had one low profile jack that would fit. I'll have the same problem at home - my jack is a standard floor jack so I'll probably have to go buy a low profile one before spring comes and it's time to put the summer tires back on...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.