Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally had this question in another post, but didn't want to hijack his thread. I tried (and still love) Stats, but thought I'd look into TeslaFi for its richer data set. Although this isn't rocket science, I can't get my P3D to sleep while using TeslaFi. I'll consistently loose >3% battery each night with TeslaFi, but with Stats, there's simply no loss at all. The car bounces every 24-40 minutes from sleeping to idling (see screenshot). The image is only capturing a portion of the nights usage, the rest didn't fit in the screenshot.

Someone had suggested that the combination of Stats and TeslaFi could be causing the problem as Stats polls every 30 minutes or so, and it could be waking up the car that TF had put to sleep. I logged out of Stats (the application runs locally so no server to keep pinging), so last night's data represented TF alone. I've also included a screenshot of my sleep settings. The only thing I changed was to allow "Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep" to sleep earlier at 20 minutes vs 30. I had also previously checked the "No Shift State Readings", but that didn't have any impact as well.

Anyone have any idea what can be causing this? I love the granularity of the data captured by TeslaFi, but the current drain is too great (especially while it's sitting at work with no charger hooked up) for me to justify. Hopefully it's a simple solution I'm overlooking (and yes, I've read the TF section on sleeping). Some people report the same excessive drain over Stats, while others report no drain at all. Where's the variable? Thanks all.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
10,255 Posts
I originally had this question in another post, but didn't want to hijack his thread. I tried (and still love) Stats, but thought I'd look into TeslaFi for its richer data set. Although this isn't rocket science, I can't get my P3D to sleep while using TeslaFi. I'll consistently loose >3% battery each night with TeslaFi, but with Stats, there's simply no loss at all. The car bounces every 24-40 minutes from sleeping to idling (see screenshot). The image is only capturing a portion of the nights usage, the rest didn't fit in the screenshot.

Someone had suggested that the combination of Stats and TeslaFi could be causing the problem as Stats polls every 30 minutes or so, and it could be waking up the car that TF had put to sleep. I logged out of Stats (the application runs locally so no server to keep pinging), so last night's data represented TF alone. I've also included a screenshot of my sleep settings. The only thing I changed was to allow "Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep" to sleep earlier at 20 minutes vs 30. I had also previously checked the "No Shift State Readings", but that didn't have any impact as well.

Anyone have any idea what can be causing this? I love the granularity of the data captured by TeslaFi, but the current drain is too great (especially while it's sitting at work with no charger hooked up) for me to justify. Hopefully it's a simple solution I'm overlooking (and yes, I've read the TF section on sleeping). Some people report the same excessive drain over Stats, while others report no drain at all. Where's the variable? Thanks all.
Instead of just signing out of stats, change your Tesla password, set a new token for Teslafi (without resigning into stats) and see if there is any difference.
The other differences I have vs your settings:

I have 15Min for both of the idle before sleep options
I do not have the Nighttime Sleep checked, but do have the deep sleep checked
And have Polling Time set at 2min.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Instead of just signing out of stats, change your Tesla password, set a new token for Teslafi (without resigning into stats) and see if there is any difference.
I'd also check the deep sleep box
I did request a new token from TeslaFi. Didn't change my Tesla password, but since the Stats app is 100% local, once signed out there is no other method to log into the account. All data is stored locally (or so I've heard), so there shouldn't be any valid connections open to pull data. Regarding the deep sleep mode, I'm guessing that would help, but that would only (potentially) resolve the issue for the 4 hours or so while I'm asleep, and the vehicle isn't charging. The other 20 each day would still be fair game. Is the constant idle/sleep cycle every 25 minutes or so what everyone who uses TF experiences, or is this something unique to my car/settings/other? I'm sure I can find a way to tweak these settings to help, but it's so far off what other people are reporting (no drain), that there must be something else here at play. I appreciate the advise and I'll try and change my Tesla password just to certain Stats isn't actually pulling some of this data via a server instead of the app. Thanks!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that sounds like the every 30 minutes Stats queries the car.
again, change your Tesla password and report back.
Wow! Just found a definite issue with Stats. Although I had logged out last night prior to checking this (and confirmed by force quitting and reopening the app), when I opened Stats this morning, there was my account info in all it's glory. Apparently, the app is storing the password (which is fine) but re-logging you back in after logging out.

Additionally (my bad), I forgot I had WatchEV installed as well for the battery complications on my phone. That could've been the issue as well, though I suspect it's going to be Stats.

I've logged out/deleted both iOS apps, deleted my TeslaFi token, changed my Tesla password, and requested a new TeslaFi password. I'll report back later this afternoon. Even if this doesn't resolve my issue (I suspect it will), let it be known that logging out of Stats is not enough, you need to delete the app/change your password as the app will auto-log you back on. I'll report this to the developer.

· Registered
723 Posts
FYI. Stats does now have a server “keeper” for some functions. Like car not locked. Not sure if it only runs if those features are on.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neither Stats nor EV Watch play nice with TeslaFi. I was able to duplicate the issue by having either one of the two apps installed. Just for the record, I think Stats is an excellent application. I never noticed any batter drain using it with or without EV Watch. It was only when combined with TeslaFi that a problem arose. If you're not going to use TeslaFi, I highly recommend Stats.

· Premium Member
131 Posts
I noticed the same. Something between Stats polling every 24 minutes or so and TeslaFi’s idle mode.
I set Nighttime sleep mode for my home from 12am to 11pm and that seemed to help.

What also might help is increasing time to allow to go to sleep in TeslaFi.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Confirmed sleep times upwards of 16 hours (hardest part was not driving the car) once Stats and EV Watch were both removed. Stats was somehow holding on to my session and logging out simply resulting in an automatic login. A Tesla password change was required. Simply logging out of EV Watch and removing the app was sufficient. Removing both were required to stop waking the car up, which makes perfect sense. All is good now with TeslaFi. Pick your app - TeslaFi or Stats/EV Watch - not both. Thanks all.

· Registered
275 Posts
I'm the developer for the Stats app. The app only attempts to collect data at most once every 30 min. More importantly, I and my beta testers have extensively tested to ensure that the app does not add to the phantom drain. you can reach us by tapping on the support button in the app if you have any questions.

· Premium Member
131 Posts
Stats on its own is not an issue. TeslaFi on its own is not an issue. Both combined with default settings for TeslaFi is an issue. When using both, some if the idle and sleep settings in TeslaFi need to be adjusted (also see my earlier post).
For example, my car stopped charging at 7:26 this morning. Went to sleep at 7:41 and stayed that way for 5 hours and 18 minutes. Had to take something out of the car etc.
Now it’s been sleeping again for almost 3 hours. Today on average car is idle for less then 15 minutes before going to sleep.

Currently have idle time set to 10 minutes and trying to sleep at 30 minutes in TeslaFi.

Hence, if you use both change TeslaFi’s settings for trying to sleep and idle times. This is not an issue with either, just when both are used together.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stats on its own is not an issue. TeslaFi on its own is not an issue. Both combined with default settings for TeslaFi is an issue. When using both, some if the idle and sleep settings in TeslaFi need to be adjusted (also see my earlier post).
For example, my car stopped charging at 7:26 this morning. Went to sleep at 7:41 and stayed that way for 5 hours and 18 minutes. Had to take something out of the car etc.
Now it's been sleeping again for almost 3 hours. Today on average car is idle for less then 15 minutes before going to sleep.

Currently have idle time set to 10 minutes and trying to sleep at 30 minutes in TeslaFi.

Hence, if you use both change TeslaFi's settings for trying to sleep and idle times. This is not an issue with either, just when both are used together.
This was my findings as well. Pick the data app of your choice, just just pick one at a time.

· Registered
26 Posts
Hello,

Have has Tesifi for a month no issues. Deep sleep 9 pm to 7 am. Heard lots of positive comments about stats so I got it yesterday and I like the Alexa and Apple Watch features. Problem is the car will not sleep at all and the battery drain was 8 miles over 11 hours. I’ve changed sleep settings in TF as recommended on this site- to no avail. I’d like to keep both apps but they are not playing nice. Suggestions?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
894 Posts
@alienranch, I'm experiencing no issue with my Model 3 sleeping, nor do I see TeslaFi-caused current drain. You've gotten good advice already on things to try so I'll avoid repeating. Instead, here are my experience and settings.

I've used TeslaFi since shortly after acquiring the vehicle last July, and use only it and the Tesla app. I like what parts of Stats offers, but I don't want multiple 3rd-party apps and Stats came out after I began using TeslaFi without a way to convert existing data. I do like TeslaFi very much and plan to stick with it unless it gets flaky or the annual $50 fee goes up. To get to TeslaFi's sleep options, go to Settings -> Sleep Modes. Here are my TeslaFi sleep settings for your comparison if you wish, and they differ a bit from those spec'd by @MelindaV above:

TeslaFi Sleep Mode - enabled
Time to Try Sleeping - 15
Idle Time Before Trying to Sleep - 30
Nighttime TeslaFi Sleep Mode - enabled
Start Sleeping At - 12am
Stop Sleeping At - 7am
Deep Sleep Mode - enabled
Start Sleeping At - 12am
Stop Sleeping At - 7am
Polling Time While Idle - 1
All other settings are unchecked.

Admittedly I haven't modified or played around with these settings since first setup; it worked and was good enough as is. I hope your experience improves. TeslaFi has proven to me to be an interesting and automatic data adjunct to my driving experiences.

· Registered
275 Posts
Hello,

Have has Tesifi for a month no issues. Deep sleep 9 pm to 7 am. Heard lots of positive comments about stats so I got it yesterday and I like the Alexa and Apple Watch features. Problem is the car will not sleep at all and the battery drain was 8 miles over 11 hours. I've changed sleep settings in TF as recommended on this site- to no avail. I'd like to keep both apps but they are not playing nice. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Tesla has changed the sleep duty cycle in their recent firmwares. The car stays up longer (~30 min) after it is queried. I think they've done this as a result of people complaining about unresponsiveness of the Tesla app (takes too long to wake up). I have changed Stats to adapt to this. the update is in beta and is being tested and so far it's working well. Well be released soon.

· Registered
5 Posts
i never had phantom drain until i installed the stats app, i loved all the energy readings and its cool widget but my car never went to sleep after that. Unfortunately i had to change password and uninstall stats for the car to go back to sleep.

· Registered
275 Posts
i never had phantom drain until i installed the stats app, i loved all the energy readings and its cool widget but my car never went to sleep after that. Unfortunately i had to change password and uninstall stats for the car to go back to sleep.
Please see my post right above yours. Tesla is experimenting w/ the sleep cycle and the best I can do is to adapt to it quickly.

· Registered
2 Posts
So glad I found this as I been struggling to understand my battery drain for a couple of weeks now and I have tried everything to troubleshoot. Eventually I just uninstalled the App and the issue resolved. Looking forward to the update, but unfortunately this is the risk of running these 3rd party apps. Tesla can and will make periodic updates to its firmware/software and without a developer network, I don't see how these 3rd party apps can keep up with running into these sort of on-going issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.