Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texans, my holy grail of EV cruising would be Superchargers at every Buc-ee’s. I can’t figure out why Tesla has not figured this out.

For those not familiar with Buc-ee’s, it’s a chain of interstate rest stops in Texas, but calling them rest stops is like calling the Waldorf-Astoria a motel. I’ve stopped at the one between Houston and Austin more times than I can count.

These places are immense. You pull into a parking lot that puts NFL stadiums to shame. There are (I kid you not) about 100 gas pumps. But the real party starts when you go inside.

The building is the size of a small shopping mall and has about a dozen places to get food. Plus there’s essentially a small supermarket and plenty of places to browse for all kinds of crap.

Speaking of that, the restrooms are spotless and have more square footage than my house.

There would be no better locations for Superchargers. You can’t NOT spend 45 minutes wandering around these places. I’m not a marketing guy, but someone needs to tell Tesla about this opportunity.

·
Super Moderator
5,688 Posts
I would like to think that Buc-ee's might be the right place, but just don't know if it fits their model. Their largest store near New Braunfels has over 68,000 sq ft, 120 fueling positions, 83 toilets and 80 fountain dispensers. If they did it would need to have at least 30 to 40 charging stalls!

They also now exist outside of TX, just opened in Alabama.

If any of you ever do stop at Buc-ee's just don't leave without some Beaver Nuggets.

Reactions: Nancat999

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to think that Buc-ee's might be the right place, but just don't know if it fits their model. Their largest store near New Braunfels has over 68,000 sq ft, 120 fueling positions, 83 toilets and 80 fountain dispensers. If they did it would need to have at least 30 to 40 charging stalls!

They also now exist outside of TX, just opened in Alabama.

If any of you ever do stop at Buc-ee's just don't leave without some Beaver Nuggets.
You've seen the price of their gas. They're practically giving it away. It's all about getting people to wander aimlessly around that mega-Qwickee-Mart. EVers Supercharging are a guarantee.

·
Super Moderator
5,688 Posts
Gas prices were just discussed, gas is almost a loss leader, just want to get you to stop and get you in the door. This is the same reason many years back 7-11 lagged by years for taking credit cards at the pump. They don't want you paying at the pump and leaving. They want you in the door so you will then buy their more profitable products.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And... they are VERY conveniently located for long-distance travel. The wife and I have commented on Buc-ee's being the ideal spot for supercharging just about anytime we pass one. Let's hope someone figures out how to make that happen!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Say what you will about being oversized, but on a football weekend with UT and A&M having home games, I've seen lines for the restroom and lines at the pumps. They are now installing red and green lights above the bathroom stalls so you quickly see the open toilet without needing to wander around. The Women's side has a traffic cop to keep the line moving.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maybe tesla is very aware of bucees, could it be that bucees made a decision NOT to locate superchargers at their stores?
Maybe, but I can't figure out why. There have got to be megawatts flowing into these behemoths already, and it gives them additional captive customers.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
I think this is something that all the large chains of service stations should consider. Maybe not superchargers, but places like RaceTrac in Dallas should install at least one QC with both Chademo and SAE for other electric vehicles. I still have my Leaf as and a day doing errands across the Metro or taking the bikes for a ride on the trails (no hitch on the 3 and who wants to sweat in RUBY WOO??) will leave the car drained. So this would boost their foot traffic for a small 2 car footprint at the back of the lot.
But they probably want a piece of the pie and that might not be something that Tesla and others are not willing to ante up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think this is something that all the large chains of service stations should consider. Maybe not superchargers, but places like RaceTrac in Dallas should install at least one QC with both Chademo and SAE for other electric vehicles. I still have my Leaf as and a day doing errands across the Metro or taking the bikes for a ride on the trails (no hitch on the 3 and who wants to sweat in RUBY WOO??) will leave the car drained. So this would boost their foot traffic for a small 2 car footprint at the back of the lot.
But they probably want a piece of the pie and that might not be something that Tesla and others are not willing to ante up.
I don't know how service station franchises work. It may well be that Exxon, Shell, etc., won't allow "competing" fuel sources to use up their square footage. Something like Bucc-ee's or Love's may be different as they may not be locked into a particular fuel brand.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
I don't know how service station franchises work. It may well be that Exxon, Shell, etc., won't allow "competing" fuel sources to use up their square footage. Something like Bucc-ee's or Love's may be different as they may not be locked into a particular fuel brand.
There are couple of QCs around at gas Stations. I have used an EvGo one at a Shell Station in Grand Prairie a couple times. it is almost behind the convenience store, next to the dumpster :eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
we just got a Buc-ees here in Alabama and i thought the same thing when we went by last weekend. Great spot to charge while getting lunch

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Does anyone know the financials involved with installing Superchargers? I'm new to Tesla so pardon my lack of knowledge, but how does it typically work? I thought I had heard something about one of the Collin Street Bakeries changing to a new agreement where they no longer are paying for electricity, whereas originally they were? And who pays for the gear...the electrical service, the lines and the units. Is that all Tesla?

Buc-ees, being more of a "destination" would have some serious incentive to host superchargers, given the fact that they deliberately want people in the store as long as possible to sell more merchandise.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
In the midwest, you find a lot of superchargers at Hy-Vee grocery stores, and some of these have a rather nice sit-down restaurant inside as well as deli counters with Chinese, Italian, etc. food options. It's a great combination, and my wife and I have eaten there several times when on the road. I'm not sure what kind of arrangement they have with Tesla, but clearly they recognize the benefit of having superchargers there.

It would be cool if Buc-ees did the same thing -- Maybe mention this situation to Buc-ees management so they might think of doing something similar. At least continue to let them know that you'd spend money with them if they added superchargers -- a smart business will see the advantage to taking the lead on this kind of service.

Reactions: LUXMAN

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been to Buc-ees on road trips multiple times and only recently thought about the possibility of them installing chargers. Now they've built one nearly in the middle of my town and now I have a better idea of just how huge they are in comparison. It even has a giant car wash. There seems to be room for Tesla chargers given the sheer amount of space the place got from the city. But who knows. They might be dedicated to college sports and NASCAR traffic (happens a lot here).

·
Registered
82 Posts
My family miss our buc-ee's road trip stops. We had to settle for Collin street bakery stops instead. Need a way to get Tesla to recognize and partner up with buc-ee's.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.