Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
A little off topic, but still about the TX tag. We've had some braniac Texas legislator introduce a bill that would allow only luxury cars - over $60K to not to have to display a front license plate. Just get rid of all of them. Creating divide and an elitist world isn't what we need.

Edit - added link - https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politic...equirement-for-Luxury-Vehicles-505464331.html

Second find - details in the article about the bozo - http://www.thedrive.com/news/26367/...d-of-front-license-plates-for-fancy-cars-only

Third update for general License plate rules in TX - including protection for the private company that now manages most of our custom plates and has huge pools of reserved words and plates that they then auction off for thousands of dollars. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/htm/TN.504.htm#504.943
There are worse things going on in Washington. Make sure to check that the Texas delegation is NOT supporting this:
https://electrek.co/2019/02/06/republican-senator-bill-kill-electric-vehicle-tax-credit/

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
There are worse things going on in Washington. Make sure to check that the Texas delegation is NOT supporting this:
https://electrek.co/2019/02/06/republican-senator-bill-kill-electric-vehicle-tax-credit/
I hear you - there is always an agenda. I don't like the idea of paying a road or EV tax, but the roads are going to need upkeep and today that is done with a tax on gas. If no one is buying gas, then how do we pay for the roads?

On the other hand I get it completely, because this isn't about EV taxes or road taxes, it's about big oil buying votes. Which sadly enough is how most of the votes on most topics go these days, they are bought by the lobbyists with the deepest pockets.

Reactions: garsh and LUXMAN

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, but you shouldn't have to. It used to be in Texas that you had to take the paperwork to the Tax Office yourself and do it, might be easier in some cases apparently. Faster too
Not saying you are, but for the record, please don't interpret me saying that as saying people should have to do it :) I've never had this problem with any other car company and I have a hard time believing that this is Texas' fault in this case.

I'm orders of magnitude closer to my tax assessor's office. If it came down to me driving to the dealership to get one - or if they didn't reply to my email in a timely fashion, instead of sitting around with an unregistered car like a lot of folks seem to be doing, I'd go fix it myself.

It's simply another method.

EDIT: Clarity!

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Not saying you are, but for the record, please don't interpret me saying that as saying people should have to do it :) I've never had this problem with any other car company and I have a hard time believing that this is Texas' fault in this case.

I'm orders of magnitude closer to my tax assessor's office. If it came down to me driving to the dealership to get one - or if they didn't reply to my email in a timely fashion, instead of sitting around with an unregistered car like a lot of folks seem to be doing, I'd go fix it myself.

It's simply another method.

EDIT: Clarity!
No. not at all. I just meant it used to be different and may be easier in some ways. The process for me was real easy but there are growing pains that need to be fixed in the Texas process. I didn't have a problem since I got my car way back in March before the rush and have never had a problem with traditional dealers in regards to plates, except that I had to go to them to get them myself later.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I hear you - there is always an agenda. I don't like the idea of paying a road or EV tax, but the roads are going to need upkeep and today that is done with a tax on gas. If no one is buying gas, then how do we pay for the roads?

On the other hand I get it completely, because this isn't about EV taxes or road taxes, it's about big oil buying votes. Which sadly enough is how most of the votes on most topics go these days, they are bought by the lobbyists with the deepest pockets.
Agree about some kind of EV substitute for gas taxes, but if I read the proposed bill correctly, they will just blindly tax BEV with an "average" gas tax. There needs to be some way to index the tax to miles driven.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Agree about some kind of EV substitute for gas taxes, but if I read the proposed bill correctly, they will just blindly tax BEV with an "average" gas tax. There needs to be some way to index the tax to miles driven.
Maybe, but just I want is someone monitoring my driving. bad enough they can track me via toll roads

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I wanted to chime in here with a bit of my story. Hopefully it helps some people out taking delivery in TX in the future.

My purchase experience with Tesla was an abject disaster. Now granted, I did myself no favors by delaying a decision to order a car until the second week in December. But Tesla truly got me off the fence with their "you can STILL order a car and take delivery by 12/31" deal. So they caused their own pain by encouraging us to continue to order while not having the staff to support the deliveries.

I've only been in TX not quite 7 years but I've purchased cars new from the dealer, leased cars new from the dealer, and purchased a used car out of state. That used out of state purchase would come to serve me well as the dealer I bought from was across the country and a bit reluctant to register the car on my behalf. But once I figured out what was needed, I decided to do it myself. And it's not a difficult process. I don't know what takes "The Title Lady" so long. Perhaps it's the sheer volume of cars that they process? But if that's their full time job, it shouldn't be all that hard.

Back to my purchase. I had insisted that Tesla value my trade in prior to processing the purchase. I didn't have time to deal with selling my trade in privately, given the deadline for delivery, and since it was a lease selling private party would have been a nightmare anyway. So when I processed my order, I already had the written offer in hand. That should have made it easier.

Tesla could not get a hold of VW Credit to get my trade in payoff. Now admittedly, hold times with VW Credit were long. But I managed to get through each time in about 20-30 minutes. My Tesla Delivery Advisor (who I found out this week got laid off) went from being super responsive on emails to never emailing me back. Wouldn't answer the phone and voice mail was full. I mean, come on. Then I finally heard back and got "we can't get VW Credit on the line, can you just sell the car privately". WTF? You already gave me an offer, and half the reason I'm doing this is because you're taking the car and giving me the trade in credit on the sales tax. Get your butt on the phone and call them. After two more days, "nope, we still can't get them on the phone. You're going to have to sell the car privately".

So I got my Client Advisor / Gallery Advisor / Whatever the title is on the phone and he was great. Offered to call on Tesla's behalf. One evening around 7 PM I got through in about 90 seconds of holding. VW Credit said someone from Tesla needed to call so I hung up and had Kyle call. He got through right away, and got the payoff information needed. Hooray! I expected to get the MVPA the next day.

I didn't. Instead it was 2 more days before I got the MVPA. And when I got it, I got a reminder from my Delivery Advisor in Las Vegas that "you need to wire the money right away, or we won't be able to put the car on the truck from CA, and it won't get to you in time for your scheduled delivery date". Meanwhile, they are the ones that have been holding the whole thing up. And the kicker?

They didn't give me the trade in credit on the sales tax.

Now, I had been planning on registering the car myself and paying the tax myself, until Tesla decided to put it all on the MVPA and do it for me. At the time I didn't know about this forum and didn't know about how long people were waiting for tags. But as soon as I saw that they didn't give me the trade in credit, I pulled the plug. I told them to re-do the MVPA without any DMV fees and without the taxes and I would register it myself. Tesla took another two days to "confirm that they could do this" and to re-do the MVPA and I literally got the check out the door from USAA with like 5 minutes to spare in order for them to ship the car and take delivery on 12/28. Total fiasco. BTW, Tesla was trying to claim that they didn't make an error on my MVPA. They state that since my trade in was leased, that I wasn't eligible for the trade in tax credit, which is utter BS.

After I took delivery , the next minor fiasco was that Tesla sent me a packet of registration documents unsigned by Tesla. They sent the package as if they were going to do the registering themselves. When I called them and reminded them that I was registering the car, they sent the correct package and I finally had what I needed in order to register the car myself. (maybe I should have run with it and see if they ever figured out I owed them tax and tag fees. LOL. In any event, the documents you need to register the car are:

1. Proof of vehicle inspection. This was delivered to me in the car when I took possession.
  2. Proof of insurance - up to you, naturally
  3. Signed form 130-U This is the title transfer form that you need signed by Tesla. It's a downloadable form and Tesla will do that, sign it, and send it to you.
  4. Signed MCO / Title - The MCO is the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. Think of it as the car's original Title, before it has a chance to be Titled in any state. Kind of like it's birth certificate. If you were registering a used car, this is where you would need the existing title. Since the Tesla is a new car, never titled, you need a MCO (also called an MSO, Manufacturer's Statement of Origin). This is signed by Tesla. Cheekily, it's actually signed by Elon (stamp of course).
  5. Odometer disclosure. Being a new car, and being a California MCO, the odometer disclosure is on the BACK OF THE MCO. Make sure you sign this part, or you cannot register the car.
  6. Driver's license
  7. Check or credit car to pay fees AND TAXES. I don't recommend paying the tax by credit card as they charge like 2.5% transaction fee. They will take personal check for several thousand dollars
  8. Bill of sale showing the purchase price and any trade in value.
That's it. Tesla will send you what you need, signed. All you need to do is bring that stuff to your local tax office, wait in line (30-60 minutes) and pay up. They will issue you a permanent plate on the spot. My previous car had a specialty plate that I transferred, no charge. Just bring that with you and they will note it on the documents.

MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER WITHIN 30 DAYS OF RECEIVING THE CAR OR YOU WILL PAY A PENALTY ON NOT PAYING TAXES ON TIME. Tesla is paying this penalty for you when they cannot register the car in 30 days for you.

I had planned on paying my tax out of pocket, not rolling it into my loan. So either paying Tesla in cash or paying the Tax office direct didn't matter to me. In fact, it was nice to do it a few weeks later after sending Tesla a big wad of cash. There was no issue at all with getting the tax credit from my trade. The trade in value was on my paperwork and that value was deducted from the total tax basis (purchase price - trade in value)*6.5%. Of note, it does not matter what you owe on your trade. You could own it outright or have a lien on it and be upside down. Doesn't matter. If they gave you $20k on your trade, you get $20k taken off the tax basis.

So all in all, I had the paperwork to register the car myself about 2 weeks after taking delivery. Would have been sooner had Tesla not screwed it up and sent me the wrong paperwork, and if the holidays didn't interfere with shipping schedules. I registered the car a week later when I could take an hour out of my work day to do so. Boom, done.

So for those of you buying yourself in TX, I'd recommend doing it this way IF you were planning on paying at least the amount of taxes down on the car anyway. It seems a lot less painful to spend an hour at the Tax office than to wait weeks and weeks and weeks for plates and have to worry about your temp tag expiring multiple times.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
Sorry to hear of the story. I do wish that you would have found us here first. I don't think it would have really changed anything, but it might have helped prepare you for the journey. You've really already lived all of the issues, but bottom line is that Tesla isn't and doesn't want to be in the used car business. They do the bare minimum there. They were not staffed and prepared for the number of US deliveries that hit them this year. That is about all I know to say on the purchase process. It is not smooth or well oiled at all.

As far as the tag is concerned, you likely did a good thing by getting them to allow you to apply for the tag yourself. That is what every Tesla buyer had to do until the last year or so and Tesla found the third party "The Title Girl" to be an intermediary 3rd party and found the loop hole around the law. This is a huge benefit to many as it allows you to wrap your TTL into the loan if you need to and not have to find the cash to pay it separately.

The only thing I believe is wrong in your story is that the The Title Girl takes so long to get your tag. Many of us have been through and researched the process as it was painful, but we've all proven The Title Girl to be very efficient and quick, wait for it, ONCE THEY GET EVERYTHING FROM TESLA !! Yep - even she waits on all of that paper work from that Fedex envelope. The one that most of us sign and return so they can apply for the title and get the tags on our behalf. Tesla is very slow at collecting all they need from the buyers and they don't reach out when they are waiting on things. Also they ask for things that aren't required, insisting that we send things like Insurance Verification with the new VIN already on it, this is not required by the state, but Tesla is insisting on it and they collect it very late. Once they get it all together and to the Title Girl it seems The Title Girl almost always turns things around in about 10 days.

Unfortunately Tesla is slow they are pushing the 60 day time frame on almost every car these days and paying a several hundred dollar penalty to the state. They could hire people and offset those penalties if they would, but I can't imagine why they can't see that themselves.

I guess I'll wrap by saying we are glad you've got the car, you have tags and now all you have left to do is enjoy that awesome machine.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Intersting point, and one I can well believe.

Case in point, with my trade in....Tesla has not sent my paperwork to VW to close out the file. They've sent the payoff check, but not the odometer disclosure statement. I had to go back to my Client Advisor to get someone in Nevada to call me on it. Their response? Well first, I got a voicemail stating they needed to send me a trade in package so that I could sign it. Prior to my delivery. That was followed up by another call stating "oh no, you've already taken delivery, ok but we need to send you a trade in package for you to sign". When I called them back, what did they say?

We lost your paperwork.

Unreal.

I know Tesla is different and doesn't want to be in the used car business, but the sooner they own up to needing to do so, the better. The fact is that people buying cars more often than not have cars to trade in. Now there are some that would say "sell private party, you get more money" and while this is true, it ignores the benefits of trade in, such as having a car up until the time you get your new car, not having to sell to a private party and worry about handing over the title, having to pay off a lien to get a title to sell the car, the tax deduction on the trade in, having negative equity on a trade in and rolling that into the new loan, etc. There are certainly reasons to allow the dealer you're buying from to take some of that hassle, and it's no wonder that many people simply trade in.

If Tesla wants to become a volume manufacturer, they're going to have to learn to deal with this better. It's as much a part of selling cars as selling the actual new car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been awaiting a long time as well
11/10 - Took delivery.

Received Title in the mail 2/13. Still no plates and registration and my fourth set of temporary tags are expiring in 2 days.

I’m going to bring the title to the Tax Assessor and see what they can do.

Tesla seems to not know what’s happening.

Just FYI It looks like Tesla sent the packet to the DMV nearly 2 months after receiving the car and the packet.

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
11/10 - Took delivery.

Received Title in the mail 2/13. Still no plates and registration and my fourth set of temporary tags are expiring in 2 days.

I'm going to bring the title to the Tax Assessor and see what they can do.

Tesla seems to not know what's happening.

Just FYI It looks like Tesla sent the packet to the DMV nearly 2 months after receiving the car and the packet.
I would call "The Title Girl" tomorrow. They are in Addison. https://thetitlegirl.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
11/10 - Took delivery.

I'm going to bring the title to the Tax Assessor and see what they can do.

Tesla seems to not know what's happening.

Just an update. The local Tesla delivery advisor advised me to just go to the Tax Assessors office as some owners have just been going in person and getting the plates the same day. He also gave me a few numbers to call to make sure it hasn't been sent to other Tax Assessors offices in the county.

In any case, I just decided to show up to the Tax Assessors office and showed them the title. I brought my title and waited 30 minutes for my number to be called. They could not explain why I have already received the title and have not received the plates. They have no way of tracking where they are. They also stated that the plates are usually mailed directly to me. Figuring that it must have been lost in the mail (not sure if true since I have Fedex, UPS, USPS informed delivery notifications by email for all incoming mail - no lost mail), they advised me to just apply for replacement plates ($6.50) and they issued me a new plates with a new number and a new sticker. My title now does not match the plates I have but they said it did not need to be changed.

Anyway just FYI to everybody still waiting for their plates. I waited 4 months and I got tired of printing and laminating temporary plates and changing it every month. Have to change the registration info for my toll tag is also becoming a hassle.

Now I do not know if there are still plates intended for me still sitting in Addison waiting to be mailed but those are now marked as lost. I figured I have waited enough time. Worth the $6.50.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am a disabled veteran and in so I get disabled veteran plates for a major discount, will that be an option when I buy my m3 from Tesla or will I have to eat regular registration costs and then apply for the my disabled veteran plate status after I get the regular plates. I would rather not have to send anyone extra money if I do not have to. I have ordered a M3 yet, I am doing research first because it sounds like everyone needs to before they embark on buying a Tesla.

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
I am a disabled veteran and in so I get disabled veteran plates for a major discount, will that be an option when I buy my m3 from Tesla or will I have to eat regular registration costs and then apply for the my disabled veteran plate status after I get the regular plates. I would rather not have to send anyone extra money if I do not have to. I have ordered a M3 yet, I am doing research first because it sounds like everyone needs to before they embark on buying a Tesla.
Yes - do your homework. The whole Telsa Model 3 world changed at the end of last week and now the Y announcements are coming, so will just add to the change and flux that is in the air.

I have more than one report that Tesla can and will transfer custom plates and apply for plates as you have, but please know that it will likely take diligence on your end to make sure they stay on top of it and assist with the process.

I know that every penny counts in today's world, but if you don't have some exemption to taxes as well, the tag cost is a very very small part of the Model 3 price and taxes. The true cost of the regular tag in TX is only about $80. I understand a discount to that is nice, but the taxes which are 6.25% of your sale price (after trade in is deducted) is where the majority of the TTL is.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My suggestion would be to do what I did. I requested that Tesla not be involved in registering my car at all. I paid them no money for registration fees or taxes. My Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement was completely blank on those lines.

Once I got the vehicle, they sent me a registration package containing the TX form needed to register, signed, and a copy of the Title / Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, also signed. Well, at first they sent that stuff for ME to sign like they were registering the car, but when I reminded them that I needed it signed, they quickly (next day) sent me executed copies. So now I have a copy of my MCO signed by Elon for my car, LOL. Also along with the car came a copy of the TX inspection. I took that along with my license, proof of insurance and checkbook to one of the county Tax offices. Was able to register my car in about 10 minutes after an hour wait on line. The good thing was I was able to transfer my custom plates from my old car then and there, for no fee.

By doing this, I avoided the repeated delays in getting the car registered that seem to have befallen many here (and also many others in the Houston area not part of this forum). I think it was worth 90 minutes of my time but you may not be able to do this with your life situation.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My suggestion would be to do what I did. I requested that Tesla not be involved in registering my car at all. I paid them no money for registration fees or taxes. My Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement was completely blank on those lines.

Once I got the vehicle, they sent me a registration package containing the TX form needed to register, signed, and a copy of the Title / Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, also signed. Well, at first they sent that stuff for ME to sign like they were registering the car, but when I reminded them that I needed it signed, they quickly (next day) sent me executed copies. So now I have a copy of my MCO signed by Elon for my car, LOL. Also along with the car came a copy of the TX inspection. I took that along with my license, proof of insurance and checkbook to one of the county Tax offices. Was able to register my car in about 10 minutes after an hour wait on line. The good thing was I was able to transfer my custom plates from my old car then and there, for no fee.

By doing this, I avoided the repeated delays in getting the car registered that seem to have befallen many here (and also many others in the Houston area not part of this forum). I think it was worth 90 minutes of my time but you may not be able to do this with your life situation.

Good luck!
Thank-you, I will try and do that then. I have a vehicle already but from what I have been told I can have 2 vehicles that have disabled plates so we will see.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.