Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
M3 RWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$75 USD or $100CDN for Bluetooth sensors? I call bs.

Volvo and Honda (and probably others) use simple wheel speed differential information already available from the ABS system to measure minute differences in diameter that will generate low pressure warnings.

This should be a simple software update that would save Tesla customers many hundreds of dollars over the life of the car.

Cheers, Mike

· Registered
M3 RWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. Color me surprised. With all the research I'd done on ev's and Tesla in particular I thought the extra weight and possibly inferior ride qualities of run flats would exclude them as OEM.

How is your ride quality? Have you talked to other "Y" drivers without the run flats?

I'm picking up the lowly "3" RWD on Friday. I can't wait.

Cheers, Mike

· Registered
364 Posts
I'm an automotive tech, and $75 is cheap for a TPMS sensor compared to most cars. I think we get $125 installed/programmed per sensor for most cars.

Also, indirect TPMS (the kind where it's done via wheel speed sensors) is very primitive compared to direct TPMS, and not any where near as effective. Very few brands have used indirect setups, and most of those brands have moved on to direct style.

· Registered
M3 RWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep. I agree that the indirect system is primitive but it is effective and free. My Volvo V90 is still sticking with the indirect system and I'm happy with it; but, then, I check my pressures pretty regularly.

Now, I also know that a Volvo engineer invented the three-point seat belt; then Volvo left the patent open and free to all manufacturers. Volvo also thought air bags were superfluous at one time, I think. Now every Volvo is airbagged up the yingyang.

I still think a sensor at about 1/3 the price of the tire is excessive.

Cheers, Mike

· Registered
2022 Tesla "Y"
301 Posts

· Registered
508 Posts
One problem with wheel speed tire pressure measurements is that if all the tires are equally low, the system can not detect it.

Reactions: garsh

· Super Moderator
17,749 Posts
This should be a simple software update that would save Tesla customers many hundreds of dollars over the life of the car.
Be careful not to let Elon know about this technique.
We know how much he loves any excuse to remove hardware from vehicles. 👀

· Registered
2,163 Posts
Yep. I agree that the indirect system is primitive but it is effective and free. My Volvo V90 is still sticking with the indirect system and I'm happy with it; but, then, I check my pressures pretty regularly.

Now, I also know that a Volvo engineer invented the three-point seat belt; then Volvo left the patent open and free to all manufacturers. Volvo also thought air bags were superfluous at one time, I think. Now every Volvo is airbagged up the yingyang.

I still think a sensor at about 1/3 the price of the tire is excessive.

Cheers, Mike
But they don't have to be replaced when the tires do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts