Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am curious about something and it has had me thinking a bit lately, Why do I see vehicles like Corvette and Lucid deliver their vehicles to their customers / dealerships in the U.S with the white transport covers and Tesla uses the plastic wrap guard? I would much rather have my car be fully protected with the white cover as I have seen some at a Corvette dealership (on and off the vehicle) and it protects the entire vehicle. Also the material I was told is able to be recycled and applied faster compared to the current wrap guard being used by Tesla which goes into a landfill because of the glues and adhesives which are attached to the car. I know it may be odd but just curious if anyone had any thoughts about the way Tesla protects their vehicles when shipping since they are supposed to be a "Green" company I would have figured they would want to recycle instead of put items in to landfills.

Thanks

· Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
3,097 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am curious about something and it has had me thinking a bit lately, Why do I see vehicles like Corvette and Lucid deliver their vehicles to their customers / dealerships in the U.S with the white transport covers and Tesla uses the plastic wrap guard? I would much rather have my car be fully protected with the white cover as I have seen some at a Corvette dealership (on and off the vehicle) and it protects the entire vehicle. Also the material I was told is able to be recycled and applied faster compared to the current wrap guard being used by Tesla which goes into a landfill because of the glues and adhesives which are attached to the car. I know it may be odd but just curious if anyone had any thoughts about the way Tesla protects their vehicles when shipping since they are supposed to be a "Green" company I would have figured they would want to recycle instead of put items in to landfills.

Thanks
Honestly I don't recall ever seeing a transporter carrying mass produced vehicles, have them completely covered. I'm used to seeing just plastic film on vehicles.

· TOO Founder
5,664 Posts
I’ve long been a proponent of Tesla covering the cars much better during transportation (like VW/Audi does). It would go a long way with keeping their warranty expenses down on paint repairs and making customers happier with undamaged paint

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly I don't recall ever seeing a transporter carrying mass produced vehicles, have them completely covered. I'm used to seeing just plastic film on vehicles.
When I was at a Corvette dealer a couple weeks ago they had told me they cover 100% of the Corvettes that Chevy makes and I heard a rumor that Lucid will be covering all of their vehicles as well as they are shipping now it seems with their vehicles covered based on their Instagram and other posts. I found it to be pretty interesting especially with the auto industry going green I imagine that they will have to find an alternative to using the plastic with all the glue and adhesive attached. I have seen some Explorers in Chicago, VW, Audi, and Navigators with the covers on as well so its interesting concept

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've long been a proponent of Tesla covering the cars much better during transportation (like VW/Audi does). It would go a long way with keeping their warranty expenses down on paint repairs and making customers happier with undamaged paint
I agree, their warrenty expenses would have to go down with the full protection. And I would imagine that even with vehicles sitting in lots which I have seen pictures and videos of online the cars get so dirty and full of debris that with the covers the vehicles paint would stay clean and in good condition (which means less water and soap to be used for washing vehicles which means less labor and cost savings for Tesla). It is definitely interesting and hope that Tesla looks into this as I have been slightly pulling towards Lucid Air depending on how their performance looks after customers receive vehicles based on how well they are caring for customer vehicles. Obviously a lot depends on these first generation cars perform as well.

10,954 Posts
Would be ideal … it’s a long trek from California to Florida and these cars absolutely take on damage on top of their soft paint (because of California regulations).

Reactions: DGREEN97 and TrevP
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.