Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please do not go after specific political personalities so this thread doesn't get locked.

My question is how can Musk manage Twitter without jeopardizing Tesla? I can see many countries blackmailing Musk in order to obtain Twitter information about critics of their regime. If Musk were to cooperate he would risk angering a large part of Tesla's supporters. What a cluster f... he got himself into. Can he safely navigate this minefield?

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I have collaborated with brilliant people who had hobbies that did not appeal to me. But then I flew and had my own eclectic taste. Understanding Elon is not a requirement while we share some common interests.

Bob Wilson

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news:
https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/yg0tdn
My impression of Twitter just went up a notch.

Bob Wilson
GM has a legitimate reason trusting the advertising algorithm with Musk. Twitter could shadow ban their advertisements and they'd never know. Why spend dollars that might not be effective? Plus, giving money to a competitor might not be the best business strategy. Will more automakers follow GM's lead?

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
He posted to Twitter that there would be a committee formed to determine things like disciplinary action and bans, so decisions like that are not in the hands of one person with potentially extreme political leanings. So that’s an improvement, I hope, though even a committee might be bullied into deciding one particular way.

GM could have suspended advertising because they were concerned about the appearance of giving money directly to Tesla, or because of the backlash of Musk exposing the large number of fake accounts, or perhaps they just had a relationship with the execs that Musk fired.

I’m less concerned about them though and more concerned about other companies, like Disney for example, who are well known to be politically active, not only cancelling Twitter advertising but making a lot of noise that they did so because “Twitter’s goals no longer align with ours”. That could definitely hurt Twitter’s revenue stream as every other politically active company blindly follows suit.

·
Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
2,826 Posts
Time will tell, but if Twitter becomes the “free speech” haven that Elon is dreaming of, then look no further than Truth/Parler.

Add to that the fact that Jack Dorsey started up BlueSky, and anyone with half a brain cell will tell you Elon lost big (financially) on the Twitter purchase before he was even able to bring in the kitchen sink.

But according to Elon, it wasn’t about the money. He bought Twitter “to help humanity” 🙄. Similar to how he invested in Tesla to get EVs into the mass market (market being anyone making at least six figures).

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I don't think Musk cares that much about money. I think he sees money as a tool to execute a vision which gives him a purpose.
I think his motivations are pure, but his perception has been a little bit warped by the world he lives in now. A good example of that is I think he might want to produce a $25k EV, but is convinced he won’t be able to sell enough of them to make the product profitable, because it doesn’t attract what he sees as Tesla’s core customers.

I personally believe he is completely wrong about that. Especially since he was also completely wrong about how rapidly the standard range Model 3 would sell, even though it too bordered on being outside of what he sees as Tesla’s core customers.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regarding Twitter I believe Musk truthfully wants free speech to reign. I'm also sure that he doesn't equate hateful speech with free speech. What worries me most is the leverage his owning Twitter gives to others over Tesla.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Facebook/Meta new interface has become unusable. For example, it treats one of my technical groups as my home page. It won’t take long for Elon to make a Twitter more useful than the Meta disaster.

Bob Wilson

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Facebook/Meta new interface has become unusable. For example, it treats one of my technical groups as my home page. It won’t take long for Elon to make a Twitter more useful than the Meta disaster.
No, it's actually working perfectly as intended. Facebook's goal is to keep you wandering the site aimlessly as long as possible so you can see as many ads as possible.

FB is not a social media platform, it's an ad delivery platform that features social media.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Elon should also buy Meta/face-ook.
Just rebuild Twitter right and both Facebook and YouTube will evaporate … except for the “WE HATE ELON” crowd all dozen of them.

Bob Wilson

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Curious there seem to be loud, extreme Elon haters and admirers. I’m somewhere in the middle.

I appreciate his accomplishments and sometimes don’t understand some actions. But I am calm enough to keep an open mind. For example, the Boring company not as a traffic congestion solution but a way to build Martian habitats and mine ore.

I am trying to suggest that extreme claims about Elon without specific incidents is not persuasive.

Bob Wilson

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I’ve heard reports about the App TicTak being a Chinese risk to access personal data. Then I’ve heard Musk plans new Twitter to become competition. So who do you want to be afraid of?

FYI, I am not a TicTak user and barely use Twitter. But new Facebook/Meta is driving me away too. As for YouTube, the ads make it nearly unusable unless you pay their ad-free fee.

Bob Wilson

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the Chinese are already building Teslas. Tesla is not building cars in China. The Chinese are building teslas in China. I do not fear a global economy. The privacy ship has sailed.

I thought years ago when the US tried to break up Microsoft and Apple, no one thought the competition would come from outside the United States, like we had all the smart people, ha ha

Elon has not said one negative thing about the Chinese government when it comes to Covid shut down, but he craps all over the US government. I think he is the one scared that China will take control of his plant, or shut it down. If he talks bad about their government, even on his free speech platforms, Twitter. If china was to do that, I hope we’re not under any obligation to go rescue Tesla, or their shareholders from a bad Chinese investment
Musk is a bit of a bully but in China there's a bigger meaner bully 😆

1 - 20 of 102 Posts