Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,708 Posts
After Musk's ultimatum, employees are leaving in drove. I'm sure he'll find a bunch of Indians in Bangalore ready to work for 80 hours per week for a third of the salary of a US based coder. But I worked with Indian coders and they weren't that good.
That's a strange thing to say. Elon doesn't even like having remote workers.

· Registered
4,275 Posts
That's true, but he may not have a choice if he wants to get advertisers back. They aren't going to wait for him to rebuild Twitter over the next few months, and if he needs an instant staff, he might have to hire one of those companies in India that have coders on staff.

· Registered
4,275 Posts
The real issue Tesla has is demand drying up. The bucket of people willing to buy an overpriced vehicle solely for the "prestige" of owning a Tesla is not as big as Tesla thinks.
The fault with detecting how large that bucket is, is that it also includes current Tesla owners who trade up to a newer Tesla. That kind of thing sneaks up on you, because it could mean you're not really increasing your customer base, it's just the same few people with a lot of money buying cars over and over again.

· Super Moderator
17,708 Posts
They aren't going to wait for him to rebuild Twitter over the next few months,
They're not throwing out the current system and starting over.

and if he needs an instant staff
Why would he need "instant staff"? He believes twitter has too many employees.

Also, I suggest reading this book. It explains how throwing employees at a software problem results in delays.

· Banned
1,443 Posts
programmers can be more artists that scientists at time. Community code is usually not the best way even in AI (One stack)This is probably the most obvious in game development mode. To come into rockstar and take over the code of an existing game with all new programmers without the opportunity to meet, and understand the history and weaknesses of the on the existing code to me would be a recipe for failure. The simple truth is most programmers would never write the code the same rate twice. After writing it, you can always think of a more efficient better way to do it if you had to do it again. These are the best guys to know where are the problems and potential pitfalls, as well as the best way to fix it. If there was the desire to do so. They were probably tired of patching it. There is no doubt Twitter had a tremendous amount of fat as all big fast growing companies do. But trying to determine where the deadwood is in three weeks with a team of outsiders is hilarious.

I would also like to know, what is currently like at Tesla after the office ultimatum Months ago. My guess it is like when I was in C level manager and gave employees and ultimatum. Some of the more savvy ones were to not argue with me but instead agree with me and the continue the way they were doing it before. Programmers are extremely valuable at all tech companies, but I have found the people that can successfully manage and inspire these crazy programmers are gold. the very worst is when you have a bad manager prematurely forcing a bad code push!

his actions as a manager and owner are actually causing to organize labor at the various companies. Historically there is not a big push for this at companies where the management believe the employees are an asset. For someone who is pro bot. anti labor, he might find a sudden interest in unions growing at his various companies

· Registered
4,275 Posts
Why would he need "instant staff"? He believes twitter has too many employees.
Not anymore, because they all walked out! I read last night that there aren’t even enough people to do regular maintenance on the servers, or fix something if it breaks. The whole service is waiting for some calamity to take it down now. (and don’t anyone dare say “it’s hosted in the cloud, it doesn’t need maintenance!”)

Which means there might not be time to interview people and get replacements to handle all of that before something bad happens - and the advertisers know it. The quickest way to solve that and give the appearance of stability, attracting advertisers back, without bleeding Twitter of more money would be to contract with one of those firms in India that have coders, DBA‘s, and server managers at the ready instantly to keep things running.

But then a question comes up - do you let the same firm do upgrades/new coding as well since you’re already paying them, or treat them as temporary until you can rebuild a good team for that? The answer to that question might just come down to what Twitter can afford for the next year or two.

To give another perspective on this, I’m not sure Twitter’s own former coders really did much anyway. The service outwardly has changed at a pace where less than a dozen coders could have actively been working on the code to fix bugs and support advertisers, but not really do much else. So the issue I’m talking about isn’t that they need a huge staff of coders, but that time really isn’t on their side in terms of keeping the service up and projecting stability to advertisers.

The changes Elon Musk wants are initially going to need a lot more coders working on it, but once those new features are stabilized again, the coders will once again not be doing a lot. That’s why he was warning them of hard work and long hours - but since they rejected that, contracting to a firm in India would be a lot more tempting since he doesn’t need them long term. Or possibly offering Tesla and SpaceX coders massive overtime to work on Twitter too, but that brings the risk of scaring them off too.

· Super Moderator
17,708 Posts
Not anymore, because they all walked out! I read last night that there aren’t even enough people to do regular maintenance on the servers, or fix something if it breaks.
Haven't you noticed that articles tend to be wrong when the media reports on a topic with which you're familiar? The same is often true for topics with which you're not familiar too. Why would random reporters have any clue what's required to keep twitter running?

Twitter still has thousands of employees. They'll be able to keep the lights on.

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Haven't you noticed that articles tend to be wrong when the media reports on a topic with which you're familiar? The same is often true for topics with which you're not familiar too. Why would random reporters have any clue what's required to keep twitter running?

Twitter still has thousands of employees. They'll be able to keep the lights on.
Twitter went from 13,000 employees and subcontractors to 2500 after layoffs and resignations. Do you really think that the 10,500 people that quit were doing nothing?

Musk couldn't get into the head office building because the person in charge of card access had been let go. Musk had to ask that person to come back so he could get in.

· Super Moderator
17,708 Posts
Do you really think that the 10,500 people that quit were doing nothing?
Do you really think that 2500 people aren't enough to keep a website up and running, regardless of how popular it is?

Google only had 2,292 employees when they had their IPO in 2004.

· Registered
4,275 Posts
That depends, because some of those articles specifically mentioned that the people with specific disciplines to keep the service running like DBA's and server management have all left. I suppose coders can learn to do that, but there would be a learning curve during which the servers may or may not be running on borrowed time, and if anything really extreme happens they might struggle. But if a lot of the people left are from the sales team, that's going to be a much harder transition.

Which is why I said the enemy is time. All of Twitter can probably stay afloat (not necessarily upgrade or expand, but stay afloat) with less than 100 people - but if anything bad happens before Twitter's operation team realigns to be able to do so, it could bring down the service possibly for days. If it looks like the team isn't realigning fast enough, that's when Elon Musk might have no choice but to outsource the operations team, at least until the internal one can be rebuilt.

· Registered
431 Posts
We wants employees to be in the office. It's not clear if he cares where the office is.

· Registered
431 Posts
DBA's and server management have all left. I suppose coders can learn to do that, but there would be a learning curve
In my experience, most coders know very little about server and database management. It would be a very steep learning curve.

· Banned
1,443 Posts
could controversial reinstatements remove twitter from phones? Turns out elon does not hold all the power or money

· Super Moderator
17,708 Posts
Google only had 2,292 employees when they had their IPO in 2004.
Lol. I wonder how many it had a couple of years later: that would be 9000.
And now Google has 157,000 employees. Do you think it actually requires that many employees?

If the economy takes a large downturn, they could easily keep a core search/ads engineering group, fire the other 98% of workers, and stay quite comfortably afloat.

· Banned
1,443 Posts
A lot of fat for sure, but they also have a lot of AI and the most valuable asset is their data that they have successfully converted to knowledge. Tesla was not that big of a threat to apple or google even though Tesla has not been a supporter of either with as limited compatibility as possible. Elons attitude towards these companies will hurt Tesla and its value and tier shareholders.

Economy might die, ads might dry up, but I don’t see cell phones being replaced anytime soon. there will be an apple car before a Tesla phone.

Elon could have made Tesla so great. This is all heartbreaking. He could have gone the Humanitarian route but he went the ego route, sad

Elon please don't Electrify Cuba, you have done enough

Reactions: Klaus-rf

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
And now Google has 157,000 employees. Do you think it actually requires that many employees?

If the economy takes a large downturn, they could easily keep a core search/ads engineering group, fire the other 98% of workers, and stay quite comfortably afloat.
Many companies may get by with a 20% reduction of their workforce. But an 80% reduction is mostly seen with companies on chapter 11.

· Super Moderator
17,708 Posts
That depends, because some of those articles specifically mentioned that the people with specific disciplines to keep the service running like DBA's and server management have all left.
I think it's a bad idea to take information coming from disgruntled ex-workers, filtered through journalists that don't really understand the subject matter, and accept it as truth.

We wants employees to be in the office. It's not clear if he cares where the office is.
Look, there's lots to discuss and guess about how this huge twitter transition is going to go. But there's been no indication that Elon is planning on moving the twitter office, or that he is planning to outsource twitter engineering to another country. Furthermore, he has NO history of this kind of behavior. Indeed, he started two companies in California, and those offices/factories continue to exist in those locales.

Which is why I said the enemy is time.
I agree that the issue is time. Twitter is bleeding money right now. The quickest way to reduce operating cost is to cut staff. That will buy them more time.

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
A lot of fat for sure, but they also have a lot of AI and the most valuable asset is their data that they have successfully converted to knowledge. Tesla was not that big of a threat to apple or google even though Tesla has not been a supporter of either with as limited compatibility as possible. Elons attitude towards these companies will hurt Tesla and its value and tier shareholders.

Economy might die, ads might dry up, but I don’t see cell phones being replaced anytime soon. there will be an apple car before a Tesla phone.

Elon could have made Tesla so great. This is all heartbreaking. He could have gone the Humanitarian route but he went the ego route, sad

Elon please don't Electrify Cuba, you have done enough
Narcissism: the billionaire disease.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts