Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
We purchased our Model S three years ago. We love our car! That being said, we have had many problems with our car, and are grateful for the warranty that came with our new purchase of just under $100k. In this past three years, Tesla has replaced both headlights, replaced three trunk/lift assemblies, and six door handle replacements. The main high voltage battery recently failed at 49,000 miles. Our warranty will expire in about two months. We are worried that this continued track record of repair needs is going to cost us a fortune. Any suggestions, as to whether to purchase the extended warranty? We were quoted $5600. to purchase the extended warranty, which is for 50K miles, or 4 years whichever comes first. Yet, based on our driving, we would be paying $5600. for an additional 3 years of coverage.
We're concerned about the cost of repair going forward. Again, we LOVE our car, but are worried that the repair costs will be prohibitive.
Thank you for your time in helping us with your suggestions.

· Premium Member
1,895 Posts
@WBrantA, I personally chose to forego the extended warranty offered by Tesla to S/X owners. Like you, I had a number of things that had to be fixed under warranty my first few years on my model X.

I am only 1+ years into the post-warranty, but so far so good. I do expect to have repairs some time, but am gambling they will cost less than the extended warranty price, which is a certain sunk cost if purchased. Also, I believe there is still a $200 deductible with each item, and a list of excluded items with the extended warranty. If I had gone with extended coverage, it probably would have been with XCare. I have heard of a number of Tesla owners happy with them. When I looked into it, they had slightly better prices than Tesla and more options that could cover more time/miles.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@WBrantA, I personally chose to forego the extended warranty offered by Tesla to S/X owners. Like you, I had a number of things that had to be fixed under warranty my first few years on my model X.

I am only 1+ years into the post-warranty, but so far so good. I do expect to have repairs some time, but am gambling they will cost less than the extended warranty price, which is a certain sunk cost if purchased. Also, I believe there is still a $200 deductible with each item, and a list of excluded items with the extended warranty. If I had gone with extended coverage, it probably would have been with XCare. I have heard of a number of Tesla owners happy with them. When I looked into it, they had slightly better prices than Tesla and more options that could cover more time/miles.
Thank you very much for the helpful advice. I appreciate your time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts