Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Tesla never seems to make a lot of sense on what they deliver when, but along with this info https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...-the-netherlands-now-open-to-other-evs.20688/ and the fact that Biden is ready to release $500M for charging infrastructure I tend to think the CCS adapter should be right around the corner. I think Tesla wants their share of that $500 million, but they have to be open for all charging to do so.

However, since Biden can't even say Tesla, this could be interesting.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This article is confusing/misleading. It talks specifically about DCFCs and seems to suggest that Volta already has DCFCs at 49 Walgreens locations, but according to Plugshare, Volta currently doesn’t have ANY DCFCs at a single Walgreens, and only has 32 total DCFC locations nationwide. So I think all of the existing Volta stations at Walgreens must be L2.

Interestingly, most of the existing Volta DCFCs (not at Walgreens) are free for the first 30 minutes, which is nice. I can’t find pricing info for after 30 minutes tho.

But disappointingly, none of these existing Volta DCFCs go any higher than 60kW. And I don’t see any locations with more than one DCFC plug.

Hopefully the new ones destined for the Walgreens are at least 100kW. I wouldn’t bet on more than one plug per location tho.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
@jsmay311 Glad to see you did the homework, I was wondering the same myself.
There's J-1772 charging at a couple of drug stores near me. I think that they are the biggest waste of money for a drug store. Who stays in a drug store for long enough to get a charge?
DCFC makes since, L2 doesn't. (That's just about as dumb as putting L2 chargers at the hourly airport parking)

·
Super Moderator
17,290 Posts
(That's just about as dumb as putting L2 chargers at the hourly airport parking)
Ugh, that's one of my pet-peeves too. I wish airports would realize that we only need L1 charging for such long stays. Should be less of an expense for them to install too.
Just install several dozen 120v 15-amp outlets instead of a half-dozen L2s.

·
Registered
822 Posts
In Florida, Tesla charges $.34 Kwh (typical rate) where FPL Evolution charges $.30 Kwh. Tesla has peak periods of $.44 Kwh too. FPL co-locates with Tesla on major roadways.

In the long run, Tesla may lose $ if the CCS adaptor is out there and then, it charges at 150KW speeds. Therefore I don't think Tesla will rush this out. They have a monopoly without it.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
The charging standards war is even confusing me - there is a lot of conflicting information out there on whether CCS and J1772 are compatible. The Wikipedia article I read (and we all know Wikipedia can be wrong sometimes) says that J1772 and CCS are 100% compatible, except when it's not. Then I see message board posts that say it's not compatible at all. And some say it's fast charge compatible only but not slow charge.

That's important because if they aren't compatible, or are only conditionally compatible, there is a large financial burden being placed on EV owners who might end up with the "wrong" standard. That's why it's dangerous to commoditize it.

For example, I have a 2018 model without CCS compatibility. What if a year from now the national standard becomes CCS, and the Tesla superchargers start to convert over? At some point I won't be able to use public charging until I come up with a couple thousand dollars to upgrade my charging equipment, or trade in the car. And all of the Ford, Kia, Nissan models, plus all plug-in hybrids will be in the same boat. Used EV's would become worthless.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I will never cease to be amazed and the money and effort Tesla continues to put into the charging infrastructure of SuperChargers.

Near me (Surrey BC, near Vancouver) they just added one about 15 from me along hwy 99, and another on hwy 1 near chilliwack. the rate at which these things pop up is incredible. I never use them as I charge at home, but I still notice how many and how fast they are popping up.

if people leave them and start using CCS or CHAdemo that is money lost on the SC investment they made.

I truly think that Tesla needs to open up SC to non-Tesla cars with an adapter for Rivian/Ford/Volvo/whoever. It has been rumoured, I think it needs to happen and be widespread.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
The charging standards war is even confusing me - there is a lot of conflicting information out there on whether CCS and J1772 are compatible. The Wikipedia article I read (and we all know Wikipedia can be wrong sometimes) says that J1772 and CCS are 100% compatible, except when it's not. Then I see message board posts that say it's not compatible at all. And some say it's fast charge compatible only but not slow charge.

That's important because if they aren't compatible, or are only conditionally compatible, there is a large financial burden being placed on EV owners who might end up with the "wrong" standard. That's why it's dangerous to commoditize it.

For example, I have a 2018 model without CCS compatibility. What if a year from now the national standard becomes CCS, and the Tesla superchargers start to convert over? At some point I won't be able to use public charging until I come up with a couple thousand dollars to upgrade my charging equipment, or trade in the car. And all of the Ford, Kia, Nissan models, plus all plug-in hybrids will be in the same boat. Used EV's would become worthless.
Here is one little part of the compatibility I finally understood after reviewing Ford's implementation. The CCS adapter used in the US - is really two parts - the top half is a J1772 port (or some part there of), with two high voltage pins added to the bottom part - making it "CCS" - the first C stands for combined.

So then if you just plug a J1772 into the port - you don't have the bottom two pins and can not get above a level 2 charge out of it. If you use a CCS plug, you will get communication to the charger from the J1772 (top) part of the plug but yet the charge to the car can be provided by the bottom two pins at high voltage - hence Level 3 charging at 50kW and above. Some CCS chargers are only 50, but as we know can go up to 350 - Tesla newer v3 and some Electrify America.

Ford even covers the bottom two pins (the HV part) with a spring loaded door. If you only use a J1772 you don't even need to expose those two pins. If you use a CCS charger, you pull the door down exposing the two additional pins.

This may not have been part that was confusing for you, but only as I started truly looking at implementations of the CCS on Ford did I understand this.

Reactions: Kimmo57

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
This may not have been part that was confusing for you, but only as I started truly looking at implementations of the CCS on Ford did I understand this.
The basic question I was trying to answer is how many EV owners will have to pay out to swap their ports or scrap their cars if CCS becomes a government specified national standard in order to be more compatible with Europe and Asia? That could also crash the used EV market, and force a lot of discarded lithium batteries into landfills as those older pre-CCS EV's are tossed out.

Where we would be relatively lucky is Tesla is well equipped to make both connectors available at superchargers, at least initially. But even for them, how long will they do that before it becomes too expensive, or gets in the way of expansion of stations or even higher-speed charging? That also greatly affects the future value of my Tesla, because if a CCS port upgrade has a really high cost, my car would become worth almost nothing very quickly unless I pay it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
FYI, North America's CCS1 is not compatible with Europe's CCS2.

View attachment 41405
I am really a fan of CCS1. J1772 compatibility and then L3 charging with the two extra pins. Fords extra cover is nice.

Just like ICE vehicles, all gas are one size, Diesel is another to avoid problems.
But with all gas the same no matter what the grade/octane or leaded vs unleaded, CCS is most like that.

Tesla will be the unique one at some point, can it be the Apple lightning in a world of USB-C? Time will tell.
Better yet, do we need Tesla's unique design long term?

·
Super Moderator
17,290 Posts
Better yet, do we need Tesla's unique design long term?
CCS1 is a terrible plug standard. The thing is HUGE. Tesla has proven that the connector doesn't have to be so large and unwieldy.

Fords extra cover is nice.
Why do you find the extra cover to be nice? I've never had to deal with an extra cover (my base Leaf did not have Chademo, otherwise I would have), but it seems like unnecessary redundancy to me. I have to open the charge port door, THEN manually open another little cover before I can plug in my car? Why?

·
Registered
822 Posts
CCS1 is a terrible plug standard. The thing is HUGE. Tesla has proven that the connector doesn't have to be so large and unwieldy.

Why do you find the extra cover to be nice? I've never had to deal with an extra cover (my base Leaf did not have Chademo, otherwise I would have), but it seems like unnecessary redundancy to me. I have to open the charge port door, THEN manually open another little cover before I can plug in my car? Why?
Tesla proved that you can have a small connector BUT you need to carry adapters for J1772 and then spend big $ on a CCS or Chademo cables.

Assuming all the data is true is that 95%+ charge at home or work, the CCS plug style wotks better with L2 support in the round top half with J1772, not needed the whole big plug, and less than 5% of the time I need to take 1 extra second and open the flap and use a big plug. Geez, 1 second hardly ever? Not a problem.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's there to protect the pins from getting dirty as they are usually used less. I'm sure you can rip the cover off if you prefer.

·
Registered
345 Posts
In Florida, Tesla charges $.34 Kwh (typical rate) where FPL Evolution charges $.30 Kwh. Tesla has peak periods of $.44 Kwh too. FPL co-locates with Tesla on major roadways.

In the long run, Tesla may lose $ if the CCS adaptor is out there and then, it charges at 150KW speeds. Therefore I don't think Tesla will rush this out. They have a monopoly without it.
And also, most FPL Evolution Level 2 stations are free on nights and weekends.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I just can't understand how all of the mfrs couldn't get together many years ago and develop a global standard that isn't huge an unwieldy. Oh wait... yeah I can.... Just comparing Tesla's connector which is able to work for L1 through L3 charging and is so much more compact and space efficient than these various CCS/Chademo plugs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm really surprised nobody has made a CCS1 to Tesla adapter yet. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Is there something internally about it that makes it complex?

Edit.... ok I see several companies do make them for about $500-$600. But doesn't seem to work with pre-19 M3 cars it looks like. :(

·
Super Moderator
17,290 Posts
Edit.... ok I see several companies do make them for about $500-$600. But doesn't seem to work with pre-19 M3 cars it looks like. :(
The one that Tesla sells (only in Korea currently, for ~$240, but should be coming to North America at some point) relies on an updated charge port controller which only newer cars possess. The newer cars can "talk" CCS, so the adapter itself doesn't need a whole lot of smarts.

The adapter sold be Setec does not have this restriction. It will work with older cars. It does this by translating the CCS protocol to Chademo, which older Teslas can speak. Charging is limited to 50kW for model 3/Y.

It looks like third parties might be making their own versions of Tesla's adapter now. I'm guessing that's what you've come across in your searches.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts