Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: the charging outlet at work is too deep for my cable without bending it quite a lot. Worried about long term wear and also plug stability (i.e. it doesnt push all the way into the outlet).

Further Details:
So, my workplace installed a dozen level 1 chargers and a half dozen level 2 chargers in the new parking garage. They put waterproof plastic covers around them which lasted about three months. So they went back and reinstalled these monster metal boxes that are very deep, and don't have a cord passthrough. Now to get my car plugged in, I have to really bend the cable to get it to route around the box and out the bottom. I'm worried about two things: 1) bending the cable like this feels bad for it and it doesn't sit flush against the outlet, 2) the heavy metal door pinches the cable since there isn't a cord passthrough.

My Thoughts:
  • Is this really even a problem? Is it going to be fine? Am I being a bit too paranoid?
  • Initially I considered getting a small "depth adapter" but cannot find anything like that for the Nema 5/20 format
  • ...which led me to looking at a small extension cord. I found a 1 foot Nema 5/20 12AWG extension cord that looks promising, but I'd rather not run an extension cord. www.amazon.com/NEMA-5-20-Extension-Power-Cord/dp/B079J2BS54/
    • Would my car recognize that there's an extension cord and dislike it? "Unreliable grid" type error message?
  • Lop off the Tesla plug, glue a large plastic washer onto the cord for the box to rest against and install a new "straight" Nema 5/20 plug onto the end.
    • Would my car recognize that there's a new plug on the end and freak out? Note I would be converting an existing Nema 5/20 adapter, not trying to convert a 5/15 into a 5/20.
I already asked the parking department to modify the boxes to accomodate cords.... hoping that they're open to that but I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!!

· Registered
4,277 Posts
For a single use, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the bending or pinching you describe. However, I think you plan to use this set up regularly, and I don't think your concerns are paranoid at all.

The best option, I think, is to demonstrate your issue to the owner/installer so that they can understand the long-term dangers of equipment failure/fire. Barring a willingness by the owner to correct the issue (which would be stupid for them to risk a fire), your shallow adapter idea seems reasonable. I believe a short extension cord would also work. If you can't find either of these online, an electrical supply house might be able to help.

Under no circumstances would I attempt to modify the Tesla adapter in any way!

· Registered
4,302 Posts
That extension cord is cheap enough that I would get two of those, and beat the hell out of them in turn in that badly equipped garage. Maybe wrap some electrical tape around the portion where the door closes over it just for extra longevity.

In fact, if the metal box is what I think it is, I would do that even if I had the style of EVSE that has a long entry cord with the unit designed to lie on the ground.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you post a picture?
Yep! I'll get a pic on Monday.

For a single use, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the bending or pinching you describe. However, I think you plan to use this set up regularly...
5 days a week 8 hours a day. Glad to hear that it's not just me being paranoid.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll follow up with what happens and some pics soon.

· Registered
554 Posts
Problem: the charging outlet at work is too deep for my cable without bending it quite a lot. Worried about long term wear and also plug stability (i.e. it doesnt push all the way into the outlet).

Further Details:
So, my workplace installed a dozen level 1 chargers and a half dozen level 2 chargers in the new parking garage. They put waterproof plastic covers around them which lasted about three months. So they went back and reinstalled these monster metal boxes that are very deep, and don't have a cord passthrough. Now to get my car plugged in, I have to really bend the cable to get it to route around the box and out the bottom. I'm worried about two things: 1) bending the cable like this feels bad for it and it doesn't sit flush against the outlet, 2) the heavy metal door pinches the cable since there isn't a cord passthrough.

My Thoughts:
  • Is this really even a problem? Is it going to be fine? Am I being a bit too paranoid?
  • Initially I considered getting a small "depth adapter" but cannot find anything like that for the Nema 5/20 format
  • ...which led me to looking at a small extension cord. I found a 1 foot Nema 5/20 12AWG extension cord that looks promising, but I'd rather not run an extension cord. www.amazon.com/NEMA-5-20-Extension-Power-Cord/dp/B079J2BS54/
    • Would my car recognize that there's an extension cord and dislike it? "Unreliable grid" type error message?
  • Lop off the Tesla plug, glue a large plastic washer onto the cord for the box to rest against and install a new "straight" Nema 5/20 plug onto the end.
    • Would my car recognize that there's a new plug on the end and freak out? Note I would be converting an existing Nema 5/20 adapter, not trying to convert a 5/15 into a 5/20.
I already asked the parking department to modify the boxes to accomodate cords.... hoping that they're open to that but I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!!
Hopefully someone at your workplace can make the change to the outlet boxes. I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the NEMA 5-20 adapter for the Tesla Mobile Connector, because you can replace it if it eventually becomes damaged for $35 (https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters). Your Mobile Connector is a Gen 2, which is more compact, but the plug adapters are low profile and the cable exits to the side of the plug. Which causes the problem you have in outlets with deep, single-gang weatherproofing enclosures. If you buy a Gen 1 Tesla Mobile Connector (aka UMC) that will most likely solve your issue because the plug adapters were longer (see https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-1-nema-adapters). The Tesla Gen 1 UMCs are no longer sold by Tesla, but you can find them for sale on the forums or online. You can offset the cost a bit by selling your Gen 2 Mobile Connector (the Gen 1 UMCs cost more because they can charge your car at 40A if your car is not an SR/SR+).

Finally, if you are comfortable with electrical wiring and know what you are doing, you can buy this Gen 2 Tesla Mobile Connector outlet adapter pigtail (https://www.evseadapters.com/products/connector-for-tesla-model-s-x-3-gen-2-without-plug/) and wire in your own plug that is straight and will work in your workplace's boxes. But you should make sure that the chip is close enough to the pins that it can measure the plug temperature for safety.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.